Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shooting steel

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by 40salas, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 40salas

40salas Portland Metro Member

I'm growing tired of shooting paper targets
    can I just use any chunk of metal to shoot at and get that "ping" sound I'm looking for? is it unsave? you know will I have a bullet come flying back at me?/

2. krkruse

krkruse Salem area Active Member

Yeah, I hang it from a chain or something so it swings to eliminate recoil. Also its worth it to get some Hardened steel targets.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Most good steel targets warn not to shoot at them any closer than 10 yards or 25 ft for safety.

Depending on caliber you may want to stand further back.

I like steel targets, but I also like to get ones that are well made, solid, and have some down deflection to them to reduce chances of ricochet backwards.

But they are not cheap at all.

4. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I've bought my steel plates from a vendor on this board, very happy with his service and product. Steel Horse Customs

5. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

From personal experience, I would say use the hardened targets. I used to shoot at some 1/4 inch plate from pellet stoves. It eventually got so cratered and dented that fragments would come straight back at me with considerable force and one piece cut me in the stomach through my shirt. You can also buy the flexible plastic targets. I got one of those 5 inch square box targets and that jumps around on the ground when hit. Balloons also give good feedback when taped to a target board. Just clean up after you are done if you use plastic milk jugs etc.

6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

this:

TumblingTargets003.jpg

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Archer762

Archer762 Benton Co. Active Member

AR500 steel targets for rifle, at least 100yds away. You can hit it with FMJ bullets and it will only chip the paint.

You can get cheap A36 targets for handgun on eBay. If you shoot it with a rifle, it will dig a chunk out of it. This is when a ricochet is likely.

Hanging from a chain works, but I found a bent piece of steel works well, and you can just push it into the ground. Carry a can of white spray paint too...

targeti.jpg

targeti.jpg

8. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

wear glasses, I have been hit several times with tiny pieces of bullet even from 25' plus away, and that is with ar500 quality targets at TCGC

9. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Newberg Oregon Member

If your only shooting hand gun then 3/8 mild steel will work just fine and save you a couple bucks. But for the little bit of price difference I think it's better to just get the AR500 plates that you can then use for both handgun and rifles.

10. Zepoll

Zepoll Keizer Active Member

This one is 3/8 A36 steel. Shooting it with handguns has never been a problem. Have shot it with .22lr (from both pistol and rifle), 9mm & .45. I shoot from 7 yards and have never had a problem. Your experience might be different. I bought three 8" hangers off ebay, delivered to my door for $27 dollars.

IMAG0205_zps76f7eb71.jpg

Here is the same plate but shot from my AR w/ .223 and it almost went all the way through.

IMAG0210_zps4c9ea24d.jpg

IMAG0211_zps798300c4.jpg

IMAG0212_zps62d166ef.jpg

I forget what made those shallow marks.

And lastly here is an 8" 3/8 AR500 target that has been shot with .223, .308, and .30-06. (100 yards)

IMAG0206_zps91c0da9a.jpg

The .223 left some very shallow dents.

IMAG0207_zps4121670e.jpg

And then DieselScout shot it with his .22-250 from 100 yards and it did this.

IMAG0208_zps5edd624c.jpg

(the backside)

IMAG0209_zps2ab60cd5.jpg

Hanging them from a garden Shepards hook (available at home depot) usually works pretty well.

benjohson, 40salas, Riot and 5 others like this.
  11. explorerimports

explorerimports WA Active Member

12. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When I'm on BLM, SF or NF lands, I use expired fireman's air tanks (aluminum) They give a nice ring at 400 yards and would probably still hear them above the wind at 600 yards. Two of mine are peppered full of holes and I still have another 4 that are pristine.

40salas and (deleted member) like this.
  13. 40salas

40salas Portland Metro Member

go you just go.and ask for there old tanks?

14. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bottled gas companies wont give their failed bottles away, but some fire extinguisher companies will.
    I just happened to work ata company where they were trashing them. I asked to have them and they said yes.

15. Peteralexander78

Peteralexander78 vancouver Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

I bought from a guy on ebay TheTargetMan_LLC. Good deals and good steel!

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I bought 3~ 10 inch gongs from him and am setting them uip on an old metal fan stand

17. Joshg

Joshg Portland Member

A friend of mine uses an old flywheel. Hangs it on a chain, angled down a little. Great target, good response and very sturdy. Doesn't show any dings when we're done.

18. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

19. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Yes, I have 5 of his targets. They are good to go. I did put a few dimples in one, shooting too closely with a .223. Other than that, it is fun shooting steel with subs,,,:thumbup:

20. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I use an old railroad tie plate.