JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
as many of you who are from the Seattle area probably know, almost every single outdoor shooting range in the general area has a ridiculous "one round in a mag at a time" policy. i have owned my AR for 7 months now, and i have yet to put more than one round at a time through the gun. i have read on another forum about some possibilities up near Darrington, but does anyone know of some good, free shooting spots simply out in the woods somewhere? I do plan on cleaning up after myself. i am tired of ranges, and i just want to go have some quality father/son shooting holidays, and actually shoot my gun the way it was intended, with more than one round in a 30 round magazine:confused:. if you have any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. Im starting to get pretty desperate, so i am willing to make a bit of a trip. pm or post please, thanks!

Last Edited:
Black Diamond Gun Club shooting range is a excellent place, they are easy going and you can load up your mags do double taps, etc. They are open to the public Wed evenings and Saturdays. When they were not crowded, they let me set multiple targets in adjacent lanes.

There is an open pit around Lacey/Olympia you can go shooting at. Keep going down I-5 south and take exit 95. Its a huge open spot with tons of freedom AND its free :D. The only negatives about it is the traffic, its pretty far and there are the occasional dumbasses that go there that keep on firing after a cease fire has been called. There is a guy there that watches over the range that straightens out those kind of fools though. Oh, and you have to collect your targets when you're done or bring biodegradable targets.

Gig Harbor Sportsmans Club has a 5 round limit for centerfire. It's about an hour from Seattle.

Than another hour past that, a little ways past the Hood Canal bridge is an open shooting spot, right off of the highway. If you want to drive that far, PM me and I will give you more details. A lot of people use it, so there is garbage everywhere, and a thick layer of shotgun shells on the ground, so if you come, please bring a garbage bag, or two.

I realize this thread is a few months old, just curious how the Op made out in this endeavor. One place you might want to check out is Everett Sportsman Club. It is open to the public and is outdoor. If you use an AR or AK type, then there is a 3 round limit at a time. They have 25, 50 and 100 yard lanes. While it is not exactly what you are looking for, it is a step in the right direction. They are only open Friday thru Sunday.

There is a spot that many go to just a few miles up from Green Water off hwy 14 on SF70. Turn left on 70 go to the I think first hard road to your right and turn in. You will see as soon as you turn in if you turned on the correct road..targets brass etc all over the place. During the week is the best time. If you want to meet me in Auburn you can follow me up. Its worth the trip. It is totally freedom shooting. Lot of shooting of just about every firearm you can think of. I know guys that just go to collect the brass. Might be too far for you but thought I would mention it.

I'm gonna sound like a bozo, but the "one round in a mag at a time" policy....is that actually what it means for you guys up north? Literally a single round in a mag?
I live in the Oregon's high desert...I often carry my AR in my work van and frequently while driving near BLM land will pull off the road for a quick 30 round mag dump. For some odd reason, the ammo I've been buying has an expiration date on it just like a gallon of milk. I don't want it to go bad you know....:s0114:

To make this a little easier, yes, there is a shooting spot there. Thank you, Preditor2013.

Some more specific directions may help- the Hwy is 410 out of Enumclaw, and the turn off to FS70 is about 1.2 miles from the edge of Greenwater, on the left. Then, after 1.6 miles is SF 7013 on your right. Along this road is where you will find some shooting areas. Wife and I explored today and I ran some .45 ACP through the Kimber. We then filled two large trash bags and lifted a box of promotional magazines into the truck for disposal. The bright side was finding a new shooting spot and gleaning about 200 rounds of .223 brass!
IMAG1149.jpg IMAG1150.jpg

There is a spot that many go to just a few miles up from Green Water off hwy 14 on SF70. Turn left on 70 go to the I think first hard road to your right and turn in. You will see as soon as you turn in if you turned on the correct road..targets brass etc all over the place. During the week is the best time. If you want to meet me in Auburn you can follow me up. Its worth the trip. It is totally freedom shooting. Lot of shooting of just about every firearm you can think of. I know guys that just go to collect the brass. Might be too far for you but thought I would mention it.

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

Last Edited:
man that is far and deep into the forest. Any place closer ? I wanna try shooting on some sheet-rock and wood board to test the hollow point's penetration. Since I live in an apartment building, really worry about it.

If thats the spot I'm thinking of it's not leagal to shoot there. It's not inside the National forest boundy line.

You have to drive about 5 miles east on FS70 before you enter the National Forest. From there it's another 3 or so miles to the only designated shooting area.
The big rock pit on the right just past the only crapper on FS70.

Rangers and local PD will run your plates and ID then lecture you for 1/2 hour on all the resons why you can't shoot anywhere besides the rock pit if they catch you anywhere else. $250 ticket if you are too close to a road or river.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top