JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your Milagros may vary.
I have noticed that different shotguns shoot different loads WAY different
Am I OK with using that word so much?
Not in violation with spelling police?
So just because '45s shotgun will shoot like that,doesn't mean yours will. Same with regular shot she'll loads
I guess I would take a box out and see how far I could hit shtuff with slugs at before hunting with them

My 1300 is the hunting model, so a short magazine. The available slug barrels are relatively hard to come by and are all either used or NOS. There are a couple on E-Bay, one with currently bidding around $170 and the other with a "buy it now" price of $269.95.

Or I could get a new Mossberg 500 with both barrels (smooth and rifled) for $450~ and sell the 1300.

Well, as MadMax pointed out, the other option is to use slugs that are themselves rifled. They will give you the benefits of rifling when shot out of a smoothbore.

slugprojbrenrem.jpg

Try the gun you have with rifled slugs. If the shotgun groups these close to point of aim with the existing fixed bead on a flat, ( o ), sight system at 50 yards you are good to go. Winchester 1300 field shot guns with vent rib barrels provide an excellent sight picture as described earlier. I suggest using the Improved Cylinder choke tube with rifled slugs, ( Mdl. 1300 field guns came with Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder choke tubes).

When you conduct your range work, remember that different brands of slug rounds do not necessarily shoot to the same point of aim - rifled slug rounds are not a generic commodity. In addition, due to the relatively long barrel time shotguns exhibit, elevation can be adjusted by choosing slugs of different velocity ranges. With the same slug weight, slower velocity slugs generally have a higher point of impact than faster ones.

I own one pump shotgun, a Winchester 1300. I'm interested in shooting slugs out of it if for no other reason than I like versatility in my guns. I understand that I can shoot slugs out of a smoothbore, but it will be less accurate than if the barrel was rifled. I also understand that I have two options for rifling, a fully rifled barrel and a rifled choke with a rifled barrel being superior.

What kind of accuracy can I expect out of a rifled choke versus a rifled barrel? I'm looking for groups at 50 and 100 yards; which one would be adequate for deer hunting? Would I be better off buying a new, dedicated slug gun?

Try the gun you have with rifled slugs. If the shotgun groups these close to point of aim with the existing fixed bead on a flat, ( o ), sight system at 50 yards you are good to go. Winchester 1300 field shot guns with vent rib barrels provide an excellent sight picture as described earlier. I suggest using the Improved Cylinder choke tube with rifled slugs, ( Mdl. 1300 field guns came with Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder choke tubes).

When you conduct your range work, remember that different brands of slug rounds do not necessarily shoot to the same point of aim - rifled slug rounds are not a generic commodity. In addition, due to the relatively long barrel time shotguns exhibit, elevation can be adjusted by choosing slugs of different velocity ranges. With the same slug weight, slower velocity slugs generally have a higher point of impact than faster ones.

Good info RMc, thank you!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads