JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Though this thread is on Washington, I suspect they are in accordance with Oregon policy wise, So I insert my rant notwithstanding.
While I abhor those without respect for our environment, the closing of the road was only a matter of time. Oregon's practice of forest management even more disgusting and deserving of that fat finger than those dumping trash and littering.
It should be noted there has been a systematic closing or roads within our public forest for the last fifty years, by design. Personal knowledge along with maps form the 60's 90's up to today visually support the loss of access to all the areas I have been familiar with over the last 70 years with nearly none of it due to vandalism. In the Wallowa's alone thousands of logging and fire access roads have been reduced to a few main access roads here and there with a few spurs. Some you can drive for miles without even a place to pull over and have lunch let alone a spur to camp on. over a thousand deer tags are issued for the area I have been hunting since 68 with a good space distribution of camps in the beginning, but now only a few areas where about 10 percent concentrate and the rest left to commute daily from home or some far distance off. Even most Oregon forest camp grounds are inexplicably "closed for the season" JUST BEFOR HUNTING SEASON BEGINS!' then, signs placed everywhere reading " camping in designated camp grounds only" Whats up with that??
Last year I paid 15 dollars for the Oregon produced National Forest map for the Wallow's which showed there were still hundreds of roads available for the less physically able among us to traverse in the small section I draw a permit for. When Season finally came and I drove into the area there were actually only dozens of roads left. One fifteen mile through road, and several spurs of a couple of miles or less with even fewer short spurs, and nearly all turn around's or camp able pull offs, bull dozed over.
I am angry that Oregon's policy for managing Oregon's Forest is to keep people out!!!. considering the thousands of dollar I have paid over my life time in sports fees and permits let alone the taxes I have paid over 60 years. I, We, deserve better!! Yes dumping trash and littering is atrocious but it is in isolated areas and definitely not ubiquitous.
If we can be taxed to pay for the tens of thousands spent on cleaning up after the scourge of Portland's vagrants, over, and over, and over, a little of the money supposedly designated to manage our forest can be spent on our forest and keep access to public property open as opposed to just maintaining the gigantic bureaucracy governing it.
I return you to your regularly scheduled Beef's on Washington forest crappers.

HERE HERE! I know exactly how you feel. I've always wondered how people like us are supposed to enjoy public lands. PUBLIC for hell sake! When a large part of the population aren't able to hike miles to see it!

NOW, back to you regular beefs.

Yep. They closed it for 1 year. I'm sure they will extend that and call it permanent.

This place has a lot of conflict associated with it. The Opposing Side has strong factual evidence to back what they claim, as well as, some pretty well spoken, and influential, supporters for the closure. Their strongest evidence was proof of bullets hitting residence buildings in their community. The Pro Side, in favor of keeping it, did not have an overwhelming amount of factual data to overcome the negative narrative. Therefore, the Forest Service called it in their favor.

I think; if a place has so much controversy in recreational shooting, we should move the activity elsewhere. We don't need a fight, we just need a good/safe place to shoot where it doesn't bother other users of the forest (too much).

The Forest Service is willing to help relocate shooting areas. They are looking at improving a nearby pit and some other spots further in. They just might be at the point of investing in improving some dispersed shooting sites.

I see this as having potential for the development of a nice shooting area or two. I think they are ready to talk.

Agreed it's a darned shame, but this is the result of irresponsible shooters. Folks who haul junk and trash out into the forest to shoot and then leave their mess behind... Folks who insist on using illegal targets (tannerite) and shoot up trees... What else can be expected...

I know responsible shooters don't display this type of behavior and in fact tend to clean up the messes left behind. But honestly, hauling out bags upon bags of others trash get to be a bit much after a while... I know I usually pull out a bag or two of trash on each visit...

What's it gonna take to get through to those who are not taking care of these natural resources and keep shooting areas clean?

I have a unique success story at one of my most popular secluded shooting areas. I have on occasion pulled out 3 to 4 bags of trash and other crap that people have left.
I placed large trash bins, signs stating if you pack it in pack it out and have been frequently patrolling it this last year.
It does seem to help a lot when you interact with people that frequent the same shooting area. It has kept the Riff Raff out so far.;)

Agreed it's a darned shame, but this is the result of irresponsible shooters. Folks who haul junk and trash out into the forest to shoot and then leave their mess behind... Folks who insist on using illegal targets (tannerite) and shoot up trees... What else can be expected...

I know responsible shooters don't display this type of behavior and in fact tend to clean up the messes left behind. But honestly, hauling out bags upon bags of others trash get to be a bit much after a while... I know I usually pull out a bag or two of trash on each visit...

What's it gonna take to get through to those who are not taking care of these natural resources and keep shooting areas clean?
Sadly, for every twenty of us who is taught to act and improve on stewardship, there is one that will undo all that work. Kinda like the school of idiots.

If we can be taxed to pay for the tens of thousands spent on cleaning up after the scourge of Portland's vagrants, over, and over, and over, a little of the money supposedly designated to manage our forest can be spent on our forest and keep access to public property open as opposed to just maintaining the gigantic bureaucracy governing it.
Less than a month ago, there was a vagrant camped out at a favorite shooting spot in the Tillamook. When I went there a short while ago, he was gone. I took out two small bags of trash but had no room for anything more. Someone followed up and completely policed the area, taking all the trash, leaving only targets standing (3 pallet skids, 1 gong).

I believe the effort of @Cogs, @Reno911, all the volunteers who show up for cleaning partys, and the individuals who pick up garbage each time they visit deserve our thanks.

We lead by example.
For years, I have been after my children to clean up after themselves. My oldest is now a neat freak. My son, who seemed to be an incorrigible slob, made his bed and removed all dishes and trash from his room before leaving yesterday. :)

Sadly, for every twenty of us who is taught to act and improve on stewardship, there is one that will undo all that work. Kinda like the school of idiots.

Less than a month ago, there was a vagrant camped out at a favorite shooting spot in the Tillamook. When I went there a short while ago, he was gone. I took out two small bags of trash but had no room for anything more. Someone followed up and completely policed the area, taking all the trash, leaving only targets standing (3 pallet skids, 1 gong).

I believe the effort of @Cogs, @Reno911, all the volunteers who show up for cleaning partys, and the individuals who pick up garbage each time they visit deserve our thanks.

We lead by example.
For years, I have been after my children to clean up after themselves. My oldest is now a neat freak. My son, who seemed to be an incorrigible slob, made his bed and removed all dishes and trash from his room before leaving yesterday. :)

Left for good or.....:p:p:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads