JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Comment submitted.

Thank you for taking my comments. I strongly urge the Forest Service to keep FSR 7013 open for shooting sports. Outdoor shooting areas like 7013 are a great way to keep shooting sports safe, responsible and in a designated area. The modifications that the Forest Service have provided to this shooting area have made it accessible and much safer to shoot at. As a resident of Oregon, I am very aware of how safety and cleanliness of shooting areas greatly improve due to community involvement and education. The Wolf Creek shooting lanes off of US-26 (Sunset HWY) is a prime example of what good stewardship will bring to any of these areas. Groups like Trash No Land build relationships with state and federal agencies and their communities to educate people about responsible shooting and keeping these areas clean. Don't let the irresponsible actions of a few, ruin a great outdoor oppurtunity for many others. Thank you.

I ripped a little section from @Kristina comment.

Last Edited:
Mine took about an hour to post. I think they are reviewed for inappropriate content maybe?

Lol, I didn't mean to put pressure on you there...just that I always enjoy your creative and meaningful posts

Thank you for the compliment and vote of confidence. :)

It was kind of difficult for me to formulate a response because my interests are pretty broad (mountain biking, wildlife viewing/bird watching, etc.) and there is a lot of stuff to wade through in their proposal that impacts many of those interests. I wanted to address other things but for the sake of brevity I only commented on the shooting area. I did borrow a little from @Cogs comment, hope that's okay - it is a really good letter.

Last Edited:
Thank you for the compliment and vote of confidence. :)

It was kind of difficult for me to formulate a response because my interests are pretty broad (mountain biking, wildlife viewing/bird watching, etc.) and there is a lot of stuff to wade through in their proposal that impacts many of those interests. I wanted to address other things but for the sake of brevity I only commented on the shooting area. I did borrow a little from @Cogs comment, hope that's okay. It is a really good letter.
Dang, Girl, you can write! Gotta be the best letter on there! Nailed it. Bullseye. Right on target.

Thank you!

" upload_2018-5-30_18-35-11.png "
But not necessarily interested in your opine.
Required by law from city governments to Federal entities, public input are considered an inconvenience and a nuisance by nearly all and rarely deflects them from their planed coarse of action, regardless of the amount of contrary protest. Picking just one example out of the hundreds I have seen crammed down our throats over the last 50 years:
Max!

"View attachment 464548"
But not necessarily interested in your opine.
Required by law from city governments to Federal entities, public input are considered an inconvenience and a nuisance by nearly all and rarely deflects them from their planed coarse of action, regardless of the amount of contrary protest. Picking just one example out of the hundreds I have seen crammed down our throats over the last 50 years:
Max!
Ah, but it helps them achieve their first goal... To make the people feel good, as if they are actively involved!

Yep, seen that a few times myself!

Well this is a darned shame! I suggest putting some signage right by the signs that say "closed to shooting", with something along the lines of inconsiderate shooters got our site closed due to rubbish left behind, tree shooting, explosive targets being use....etc.

Agreed it's a darned shame, but this is the result of irresponsible shooters. Folks who haul junk and trash out into the forest to shoot and then leave their mess behind... Folks who insist on using illegal targets (tannerite) and shoot up trees... What else can be expected...

I know responsible shooters don't display this type of behavior and in fact tend to clean up the messes left behind. But honestly, hauling out bags upon bags of others trash get to be a bit much after a while... I know I usually pull out a bag or two of trash on each visit...

What's it gonna take to get through to those who are not taking care of these natural resources and keep shooting areas clean?

Well this is a darned shame! I suggest putting some signage right by the signs that say "closed to shooting", with something along the lines of inconsiderate shooters got our site closed due to rubbish left behind, tree shooting, explosive targets being use....etc.
I agree Mike. A sign stating why it was closed might make a few more out there aware to what's at stake.

Agreed it's a darned shame, but this is the result of irresponsible shooters. Folks who haul junk and trash out into the forest to shoot and then leave their mess behind... Folks who insist on using illegal targets (tannerite) and shoot up trees... What else can be expected...

I know responsible shooters don't display this type of behavior and in fact tend to clean up the messes left behind. But honestly, hauling out bags upon bags of others trash get to be a bit much after a while... I know I usually pull out a bag or two of trash on each visit...

What's it gonna take to get through to those who are not taking care of these natural resources and keep shooting areas clean?
Armed drones?

They closed it. A big fat middle finger goes out to the people that leave trash and shoot illegal targets.

Forest Service closes target-shooting area near Greenwater following residents' complaints
Though this thread is on Washington, I suspect they are in accordance with Oregon policy wise, So I insert my rant notwithstanding.
While I abhor those without respect for our environment, the closing of the road was only a matter of time. Oregon's practice of forest management even more disgusting and deserving of that fat finger than those dumping trash and littering.
It should be noted there has been a systematic closing or roads within our public forest for the last fifty years, by design. Personal knowledge along with maps form the 60's 90's up to today visually support the loss of access to all the areas I have been familiar with over the last 70 years with nearly none of it due to vandalism. In the Wallowa's alone thousands of logging and fire access roads have been reduced to a few main access roads here and there with a few spurs. Some you can drive for miles without even a place to pull over and have lunch let alone a spur to camp on. over a thousand deer tags are issued for the area I have been hunting since 68 with a good space distribution of camps in the beginning, but now only a few areas where about 10 percent concentrate and the rest left to commute daily from home or some far distance off. Even most Oregon forest camp grounds are inexplicably "closed for the season" JUST BEFOR HUNTING SEASON BEGINS!' then, signs placed everywhere reading " camping in designated camp grounds only" Whats up with that??
Last year I paid 15 dollars for the Oregon produced National Forest map for the Wallow's which showed there were still hundreds of roads available for the less physically able among us to traverse in the small section I draw a permit for. When Season finally came and I drove into the area there were actually only dozens of roads left. One fifteen mile through road, and several spurs of a couple of miles or less with even fewer short spurs, and nearly all turn around's or camp able pull offs, bull dozed over.
I am angry that Oregon's policy for managing Oregon's Forest is to keep people out!!!. considering the thousands of dollar I have paid over my life time in sports fees and permits let alone the taxes I have paid over 60 years. I, We, deserve better!! Yes dumping trash and littering is atrocious but it is in isolated areas and definitely not ubiquitous.
If we can be taxed to pay for the tens of thousands spent on cleaning up after the scourge of Portland's vagrants, over, and over, and over, a little of the money supposedly designated to manage our forest can be spent on our forest and keep access to public property open as opposed to just maintaining the gigantic bureaucracy governing it.
I return you to your regularly scheduled Beef's on Washington forest crappers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top