Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shooting Shoulder Pads

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Ironbar, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Are there any sources out there for a shooting shoulder pad that still provides cushion when a shooter is in the prone position? They seem mostly geared toward shotgun sports shooters, with the pad providing cushion only when shooting from a standing position. I need something that I guess would go over the shoulder a bit instead of only being in the front.

Thanks!

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Have you ruled out the recoil butt pads that you add to the stock?

3. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of milsurps that have metal butt plates. I've tried several different items for softening the recoil and I have found that the Galco recoil pad is the best available. It's a leather body with a Velcro closure. It fits every milsurp I have, Brit, German, US, Swiss, Jap. Shop around for best pricing. I paid less than $40 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Recoil-Havana-Brown-Large/dp/B00162UFPQ

jbett98 and Joe13 like this.
  4. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I'd sure like to know where you got that pad for less than $40.00. I shopped around, and the cheapest I found was $68.00.

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The $40 was years ago like I said, everything keeps getting more expensive by the day. Maybe look for a used one on evil bay.

6. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you don't mind slummin' it, check Goodwill for used lacrosse shoulder pads. Then take the preferred pad off and use just that. I found that using something stiff that distributes the recoil force over a larger area significantly reduces the pain for mongo-kick guns. Much more so than something like foam to decelerate the buttstock.