JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of good info above. I'll throw in a few others. My "range" glasses have a close focus lens on my left eye (I'm left eye dominate, right handed), and a distance lens on my right (for seeing distance and shooting rifles). This works great for me. Some also use bi-focals with the close focus lens on the top instead of bottom. So this is not realistic for self defense shooting.

My normal Rx glasses are for distance. I can use them fine with optics on rifles (an pistols I suppose) but they are my worst option for iron sight handguns. So since my vision is not that bad for distance my goal is to be sans glasses in a defensive situation. Because of this I practice with my range glasses, with my normal Rx glasses and without...just clear safety glasses (and log the time in my shooting journal).

And then for shotgun (right handed) I have a small blurry patch for the left lens that covers just the bead so I can keep both eyes open.

Admittedly complicated...but it works for me.

I've been near-sighted for forty years. Glasses were a constant PITA. Got contact lenses about thirty years ago and love them. Now that I am getting to the point of needing bi-focals, my optometrist suggested bi-focal contacts. What a wonder!! Previously if I wanted to see something up close I either had to remove my contacts or put on a pair of cheaters. Now I can do without the cheaters 80% of the time. And a sight picture looks like it did before age got to my eyes. I would highly recommend checking with your optometrist. You can buy daily-wear lenses if you don't want to switch to contacts exclusively and only wear them on range days. The only down-side for me is that I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye and they cannot correct astigmatism with
bi-focal contacts. I gladly gave up slight clarity in one eye for the convenience of not needing cheaters and being able to see my sights.

I've been near-sighted for forty years. Glasses were a constant PITA. Got contact lenses about thirty years ago and love them. Now that I am getting to the point of needing bi-focals, my optometrist suggested bi-focal contacts. What a wonder!! Previously if I wanted to see something up close I either had to remove my contacts or put on a pair of cheaters. Now I can do without the cheaters 80% of the time. And a sight picture looks like it did before age got to my eyes. I would highly recommend checking with your optometrist. You can buy daily-wear lenses if you don't want to switch to contacts exclusively and only wear them on range days. The only down-side for me is that I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye and they cannot correct astigmatism with
bi-focal contacts. I gladly gave up slight clarity in one eye for the convenience of not needing cheaters and being able to see my sights.
Thanks for very much for your input.

If you're ever in the market for an upgrade from your Ruger 357, consider the S&W TRR8, a 357 with accessory rails for a light or red dot. I have one and love it. Might be able to let you try it sometime, when I'm in Bellevue.

p.s. I'm thinking about selling a safe queen M1A Scout, since you said something about wanting one.
NIB unfired (I have others), if interested PM me and I can bring it with when I return to your area next week. Comes with a Springfield 2x long eye relief scope too! If not ready to make the plunge, no problem.

If you're ever in the market for an upgrade from your Ruger 357, consider the S&W TRR8, a 357 with accessory rails for a light or red dot. I have one and love it. Might be able to let you try it sometime, when I'm in Bellevue.

p.s. I'm thinking about selling a safe queen M1A Scout, since you said something about wanting one.
NIB unfired (I have others), if interested PM me and I can bring it with when I return to your area next week. Comes with a Springfield 2x long eye relief scope too! If not ready to make the plunge, no problem.

Thank you so much for mentioning your Springfield M1A Scout. It is my dream rifle and will buy one within next 6-12 months, but at this point I have no enough money for it. When I save enough for it, I will buy one.

Get a different diopter in the dominant eye lens.
Not uncommon.
Many do this for reading glasses as opposed to bi or tri focals.
Very common for competitive shooters.
All sorts of shooting glasses available on Amazon with mixed diopters.

My contact script is 3.0 for the non dominant eye (distance/target) and 2.0 or so for the dominant (front pistol sight) eye.

I can read without using reading glasses...I can work at my computer without reading glasses and the pistol work is perfectly natural.

Very common request at eye exams. Let them know in advance and inform them you are bringing an (unloaded) pistol to the exam. If that makes them squimish find another eye doc.

Last Edited:
I just picked up a new type of progressive bifocals. Supposedly have more points to focus with (more sweet spots). So far, they are making a big diffrence in my shooting. I can easily focus on the front sight, or focus on the target. Before, I could only focus on the target. My front sight would always remain blurry. These new lenses seem to work well with both handgun and rifle.

And Merry Christmas to you as well...!

Just a bit of further clarification.
You bring the pistol to get an exact distance from your eye to the front site.
Each diopter produces a range of acceptable focus.
Keep the diopter variance between dominant eye and sight eye as small as possible.
Easier for the brain to do the integration.
Example: A 3.0/2.25 or 2.50 mix is easier for the brain to work with versus 3.0/2.0.
I'm probably switching to 2.25 in the sight eye.

That's all I know. I'm sure there are top men here with much greater experience than myself.

Last Edited:
I have the opposite problem ( farsighted). Just got new prescription shooting glasses, dominant eye can now focus on the sights, and see them clearly, non dominant has clear vision at 35 yards. Doesn't work for everyone, but I think this is going to work well for me; the brain's software has to be flexible enough to process the two images and composite them. ( Some people get a headache from this) I've also noticed that amber or yellow shooting glasses make the fiber optic "POP" a lot better. I do like red dots, and have used them extensively, but some competition divisions require me to be able to use irons. Kind of liking the simplicity of sights that aren't failure prone, also. I'm speaking from a purely competition point of view, here... Those that have spoken of snap shooting have the right of it in a self defense situation, in my opinion. Up close like 7 yards, I'm not generally using the sights, it's just instinctive to hit what I mean to at that range by pointing.

Oh, I just wanted to add, you don't need to bring a pistol to the optometrist, even if they're fine with it. Them safety rules, and all... all you need is a pencil with a sharp point. Hold it up, at arm's length, you should be able to focus on the point, and see it clearly, as well as something 25-35 yards away.

I replaced the front sight and now it is so much easier to shoot without glasses. When I get time I will arrange an appointment with an optometrist and change the prescription. Here is my new front sight and it made a big difference for me.

20201225_141522.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads