JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am nearsighted and wear glasses to correct the issue. I have no problem shooting rifle equipped with red-dot while wearing glasses. Both red-dot and target are clear. However, I am having tough time shooting my revolver (Ruger GP100) while wearing glasses. The problem is that I see target clearly but the iron sights are blurry. If I remove glasses, the iron sights becomes clear, but target is then blurry. Any advice to minimize this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

I am nearsighted and wear glasses to correct the issue. I have no problem shooting rifle equipped with red-dot while wearing glasses. Both red-dot and target are clear. However, I am having tough time shooting my revolver (Ruger GP100) while wearing glasses. The problem is that I see target clearly but the iron sights are blurry. If I remove glasses, the iron sights becomes clear, but target is then blurry. Any advice to minimize this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

Actually.... if your front sight is clear, and your target is "blurry"... you're doing it correctly.

Here, read this article that 'splains it. ;)

Actually.... if your front sight is clear, and your target is "blurry"... you're doing it correctly.

Here, read this article that 'splains it. ;)

Very interesting. I did notice that my accuracy is much better if I shoot my revolver without glasses (sights are clear and target is blurry).

That is normal, the human eye can only focus on one thing clearly at a time.
I also disagree that one should focus only on the front sight unless longer range accuracy is the goal, for the close, fast, dirty stuff focus on the threat (especially in the case of multiples) and superimpose the sight. two different types of shooting, two different types of sight use. Think of is as driving a car, one does not focus on the hood ornament going down the road.

Last Edited:
You should be able to use your front sight like your red dot.

Give the front sight a bright color, then use it the same way. Eye - Dot -Target, Eye - Front Sight - Target.

If you concentrate on your front sight it's wasted effort. Your sights won't move off target unless you make the decision to move them, or the attitude of the firearm changes during trigger press.

I too am near sighted, wear glasses with progressive bifocals.

Give the front sight a bright color, then use it the same way. Eye - Dot -Target, Eye - Front Sight - Target.

If you concentrate on your front sight it's wasted effort. Your sights won't move off target unless you make the decision to move them, or the attitude of the firearm changes during trigger press.

I just ordered HIVIZ GPLW01 front site as the original Ruger is dark metal.

Here, read this article that 'splains it.

Interesting information. Major downside to it is this. Real world shooting, you're not gonna have a nice, bright orange dot to look at with blurred yet defined edges.

For me, handguns are for closer work. If you're gonna hunt with them and so forth, that's what scopes are for. And the problem goes away. But back to the close-up work, my priority is keeping my eye on the target. Louis L'Amour said more than once that snap shooting is like pointing your finger. You point the gun naturally as you would a finger and it works most of the time. In a real shooting emergency, you're not gonna have all that much time to look down your sights, think about it, get optimal alignment, then pull the trigger. You might be dead or badly injured by that time. Besides, if your first shot or two doesn't hit home, at least it usually has the benefit of causing your opponent to take cover and break his concentration. Just my opinion.

Lyman (and maybe others) used to offer a little diopter that you could stick on your eyeglasses. Basically, it would cause your eye to have a more narrow focus, therefore increasing the focal length. Like an F stop on a camera. I've used one before with success until I lost it. I should get another one. They're good for range work. But you're probably not gonna have one in a shoot-out.

Focus on the front sight, let the rear notch be blurry.

You won't have front and rear sight in focus.
I'm extremely nearsighted and outside of 8" from my face everything is blurry.

Interesting information. Major downside to it is this. Real world shooting, you're not gonna have a nice, bright orange dot to look at with blurred yet defined edges.

For me, handguns are for closer work. If you're gonna hunt with them and so forth, that's what scopes are for. And the problem goes away. But back to the close-up work, my priority is keeping my eye on the target. Louis L'Amour said more than once that snap shooting is like pointing your finger. You point the gun naturally as you would a finger and it works most of the time. In a real shooting emergency, you're not gonna have all that much time to look down your sights, think about it, get optimal alignment, then pull the trigger. You might be dead or badly injured by that time. Besides, if your first shot or two doesn't hit home, at least it usually has the benefit of causing your opponent to take cover and break his concentration. Just my opinion.

Lyman (and maybe others) used to offer a little diopter that you could stick on your eyeglasses. Basically, it would cause your eye to have a more narrow focus, therefore increasing the focal length. Like an F stop on a camera. I've used one before with success until I lost it. I should get another one. They're good for range work. But you're probably not gonna have one in a shoot-out.
Thank for the update. I am more a rifle guy (recently got back into rifles after almost 30 years of absence) and revolver is just for up to 25 yards fun.

Focus on the front sight, let the rear notch be blurry.

You won't have front and rear sight in focus.
I'm extremely nearsighted and outside of 8" from my face everything is blurry.
Welcome to the "Nearsighted" club. I never realized how poor was my vision until I got to shoot my rifle with glasses. It was a day-night change.

Get a Mini-14 and you'll be able to shoot around corners.... :D
No Ruger Mini-14 for me. Next one is Springfield M1A Scount as that is my dream machine, but at the moment my Henry 45-70 Gov. is enough. Ammo prices are crazy and I just calculated that since I got my Henry in September I burned over $1K ammo on it.

Welcome to the "Nearsighted" club. I never realized how poor was my vision until I got to shoot my rifle with glasses. It was a day-night change.

I'm a member of this club big-time. I've got those progressive lenses. Which can be weird for shooting. At the range, I've found myself squirming my head around, looking first at the sights through the close-in part of the progressive lens, then peering out at the target with the longer distance part of the grind. Pain in the buttocks. Scopes solve this but I don't always want to use a scope. Aperture sights help too. But that big old buckhorn sight way out ahead of the receiver, that's gotten tough.

Aim big miss big?

I'm a member of this club big-time. I've got those progressive lenses. Which can be weird for shooting. At the range, I've found myself squirming my head around, looking first at the sights through the close-in part of the progressive lens, then peering out at the target with the longer distance part of the grind. Pain in the buttocks. Scopes solve this but I don't always want to use a scope. Aperture sights help too. But that big old buckhorn sight way out ahead of the receiver, that's gotten tough.

When you see someone shooting Henry All Weather Stainless Steel LA Rifle in 45-70 Gov. at the range, introduce yourself. It will probably be me. I go Saturdays or Sundays.
For me only shooting revolver is problematic with my glasses. With glasses on, both rear and front sights are so blurry such that I can't even distinguish between rear and front sights. I use Sig Sauer Romeo 3 Red Dot sight on my rifle and the red dot is very clear circle and target is perfectly clear. If I remove glasses, red dot looks like a red snowflake and target looks blurry. I hope a better front sight (just ordered one) on GP100 will help for shooting without glasses. Thus, my glasses are just for shooting rifle, and no glasses for shooting revolver.

I just gave up and use scopes or red dots on everything, revolvers too:
IMGP0818.JPG
IMGP0999.JPG
IMGP013401.jpg
Except shot guns as I don't aim them in the iron sight sense.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top