JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a given county, do a google search for "shooting restricted area".

E.G.:

In short, you have to be fairly rural to be able to shoot, whether it is your property or not - the exception being some gun ranges.

Keep in mind that there is more to consider than just legality. It may be entirely legal. But it may also tick off the neighbors. And being at odds with your neighbors can turn into nightmare of monumental proportions.

Before you buy, make sure you know who and where your neighbors are and their attitudes/tolerance for shooting. Also make sure you understand any vacant properties in the area and those that could possibly be sold sometime in the future to someone who may not appreciate your range like you do.

And yes, it's real easy to say "tough luck, I was here first." But again, life is too short to be feuding with neighbors. :)

Keep in mind that there is more to consider than just legality. It may be entirely legal. But it may also tick off the neighbors. And being at odds with your neighbors can turn into nightmare of monumental proportions.

Before you buy, make sure you know who and where your neighbors are and their attitudes/tolerance for shooting. Also make sure you understand any vacant properties in the area and those that could possibly be sold sometime in the future to someone who may not appreciate your range like you do.

And yes, it's real easy to say "tough luck, I was here first." But again, life is too short to be feuding with neighbors. :)

And of course there is safety.

My property is on a mountain. I have neighbors on three sides, north, south and east, plus the road runs along my east property line. So I can only shoot to the west somewhat safely (if I elevate too much, or someone is on my back acreage, then there is a problem). I shoot more or less down into a gully that runs the length of my property and I have a backstop about 4' tall of dirt and a large log. I am careful to not shoot too fast lest the recoil cause me to shoot over the backstop. There are trees behind the backstop, but having one of them stop a bullet is a matter of luck so I don't rely on them.

It is unlikely that anyone would be on my back acreage, much less likely that someone would be in the gully. But I am thinking of moving more logs to the top of the backstop.

So even though I have 20 acres, my range is 50 yards at best, assuming I want to maintain safety.

Keep in mind that there is more to consider than just legality. It may be entirely legal. But it may also tick off the neighbors.

All of my neighbors have guns and don't mind the occasional bit of shooting, but I have observed one neighbor be a little peeved at another who was shooting a loud gun for an hour or two. I think she had put her toddler down for a nap or maybe they had company - I don't know.

I try to not shoot too much for too long of a time. Plus my shooting is in a direction away from the neighbors and my range is in my woods and down a bit, so the noise is not too objectionable.

One neighbor did complain about another neighbor who was shooting a .50 BMG in a direction that he said made it too loud. Personally I usually cannot hear shooting when I am inside the house unless a door or window is open. I have a vineyard adjoining my property, about 500 yards away and it has a bird/deer cannon or two in it that is booming in the morning this time of year (harvest time) - I would prefer that it not break the silence I enjoy most of the time, but it is only when the grapes are ripe IIRC.

Say I want to build myself a little 50 yard range on my property and shoot my rifles. Where in WA can I do this, legally, if anywhere?
A friend of mine in the unincorporated part of Spokane County has one. He is outside the no shooting area between Colbert and Deer Park. Works well. Minimum lot sizes are 10 acres. Actually quite a few people out there have private ranges. Just have to live outside the no shooting zones and it's not a problem for personal use in this county.

Something else to consider is if you sell the property or if the government finds out you are shotting, you might have to deal with the lead pollution in the ground.

Something else to consider is if you sell the property or if the government finds out you are shotting, you might have to deal with the lead pollution in the ground.
I wonder how big of a deal that actually is. I've never considered that angle.

My dad has ten acres in Idaho that I will inherit in a few years and he has a range on it that has seen tens of thousands of rounds shot into it. His range is built into a drainage area with his well at the bottom of it.

I don't recall him ever having his well tested for lead, but he did have slightly elevated lead levels in his blood at his last check up. Of course, he casts about 40,000 boolits a year and takes few precautions, so that may have something to do with it.

Seriously, if I were to get a property that allows this, I would not just shoot into some mound in the ground, I would build a nice 50 yard range with sand and earthen backstops and walled sides that both reduce risk of strays as well as allow me to just come in with a bobcat like loader and scoop the sand and imbedded bullets away....

I know that Boeing had a range for skeet shooting, and they had to shave the top foot of the soil as hazardous waste (lead shot) before they could sell the property. Our gun range is on BLM land and they require the soil to be tested for lead. Our range also uses back stops to catch the lead. I know it can be a big deal. Just something to consider ;)

I lived in an area of 10-acre properties S of Hillsboro. I set up a 100-yard range in the gully behind the house. I mostly had no problems with the neighbors; some of them were shooters too. In the house closest to the gully though, some new folks moved in and the lady there was all concerned about my shooting. I tried to accommodate her, saying I'd be happy to limit my shooting to the times she is not at home, so it wouldn't bother her, and that I'd call her first before going out and shooting. We went back and forth a bit and finally she said, "Just go ahead and shoot when you want; no need to call me." Never had another complaint from her! I think she interpreted my concern for her comfort as meaning that I'm not some idiot who is going to put a bullet in her house. :) However I was not a high volume shooter, so I was not pushing her (or the other neighbor's) limits.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top