JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washing unincorporated…
Quick question…. Your thoughts? Where to look…?I don't have the patience to filter the legalese of RCWs or whatever they've legislated.

In general…. Can I have a person range inside my home?

Folks with commercial property seem to be able to do it…. Commercial lot backed up to residential. Heck you should see where my outdoor Club is located….. zoning wise.

Some of my neighbors have outdoor shooting ranges developed…safe berms, pits, lots of property. I don't think they use 'em as much I would….

Still a quiet area, but as property develops to accommodate more and more city folk escaping there pour voting decisions. The noise complaints seem to shut down shooting even though technically leagal and safe, according to neighbors who have a little range.

I was daydreaming about a backstop …. Then some surrounding (thick a safe) and some sound mitigation to be polite in the neighborhood. And have a little pistol practice place in the garage. Just a daydream.

Is it then just a noise ordinance thing or does it need permits and inspections? Maybe a short question with a lot of words.

Last Edited:
How big is your piece of property? Rent a track hoe, dig a long trench and build yourself an underground pistol range. If you're thinking of using shipping containers underground, read up on the structural integrity of those when you bury them (i.e. not much).
There are ways to significantly reduce sound, the cheapest DIY method being expanded concrete.
I would strongly suggest an air handling system for lead mitigation.

Back in 1984-ish, when I lived in California, I was told by the owner of a small gun shop in Santa Maria that he knew a man in town that bought a couple of sections of concrete stormdrain pipe and had them buried in his back yard to make an underground shooting range for himself.

eta: I know for a fact that there is a person in Sequim that built his own "underground" range.

Last Edited:
How big is your piece of property? Rent a track hoe, dig a long trench and build yourself an underground pistol range. If you're thinking of using shipping containers underground, read up on the structural integrity of those when you bury them (i.e. not much).
There are ways to significantly reduce sound, the cheapest DIY method being expanded concrete.
I would strongly suggest an air handling system for lead mitigation.
I'd love to. Go full bunker if I had funds. But thinking budget….
But really…. If it's legal; kinda the question.

Also take into account proper ventilation.
Ventilation , Shmentilation! A little gunsmoke never hurt anyone! Just ask this guy...

1676223117014.png

:D 😁

Depends if you want to be legal and meet codes or not. Also depends on what your relationships is/will be with your neighbors.

I looked at a house for sale in Vancouver wa and guy had dug two round holes maybe 3 feet in diameter? 50' long through the wall in his basement, under his yard, and under the neighbor's yard!!! I talked to one guy around there and he said they have been hearing gunshots off and on over the years and could never figure out where they came from. Too funny. This was not in the country even.

Also you may want to think about suppressed rimfire only. I have tested 22 subs with proper mil spec meter and the sound is the same as opening a pop can, about 110 db.

Depends if you want to be legal and meet codes or not. Also depends on what your relationships is/will be with your neighbors.

I looked at a house for sale in Vancouver wa and guy had dug two round holes maybe 3 feet in diameter? 50' long through the wall in his basement, under his yard, and under the neighbor's yard!!! I talked to one guy around there and he said they have been hearing gunshots off and on over the years and could never figure out where they came from. Too funny. This was not in the country even.
Funny with the neighbors confusion. I think my neighbors are pretty cool. I pop off some fun things just for fun (fireworks mortar) some of the air rifles are louder than a sub .22. No one immediately close to me has the pissy attitude that would complain.
Yeah was wondering if there's "codes" or permits

The RCW's pertaining to the question focus on safety issues and don't address the concept of shooting ranges. The Wash. Admin. Code only deals with shooting on public lands.

The main regulator in OP's case would be King County and or City of Kent, if he resides within city limits. King Co. has established no shooting zones, and Kent is within them. There may be rural-ish corners of the county with a Kent address that aren't within the no shooting zone.

I'd say that if you are located within the no shooting zone, you can't do it legally no matter what the configuration. If not in the zone, objectors could shut you down for other reasons. Such as noise abatement (even at low levels it might be classified as a nuisance), health issues (air quality), construction code violations, or other details.

When I was a teenager, one of my pals did his target shooting indoors into a brick fireplace of a rental house.

When I was a little boy, the neighbor behind us had a short range set up in his garage. He worked for the phone company and had piled telephone pole cross trees in stacks behind the garage.

My mother lived in her last home for 47 years. She lived on one of those suburban "islands" of land where the developer had no choice to but to slice the lots up into larger sizes. So most homes on this section of land had unusually large lots for the neighborhood. In later years, the owner of one of the lots she shared a short boundary with expanded his backyard garage. No windows, built like a fortress, with out-of-the-ordinary ventilation system showing from roof vents. One time I looked over the block wall at the back of his building and noticed a couple of bullet holes. So I know he had his own range in there.

Already mentioned, proper ventilation is important. There are nasty chemicals in cartridge combustion exhaust that you don't want to inhale on a repetitive basis.

If you're on a budget, use your back muscles and a shovel to dig a trench with a shooting pit at one end. Install pressure treated shoring in the trench and a pulley system for targets, then cut marine grade plywood to cover the trench and then cover it with dirt.

The RCW's pertaining to the question focus on safety issues and don't address the concept of shooting ranges. The Wash. Admin. Code only deals with shooting on public lands.

The main regulator in OP's case would be King County and or City of Kent, if he resides within city limits. King Co. has established no shooting zones, and Kent is within them. There may be rural-ish corners of the county with a Kent address that aren't within the no shooting zone.

I'd say that if you are located within the no shooting zone, you can't do it legally no matter what the configuration. If not in the zone, objectors could shut you down for other reasons. Such as noise abatement (even at low levels it might be classified as a nuisance), health issues (air quality), construction code violations, or other details.

When I was a teenager, one of my pals did his target shooting indoors into a brick fireplace of a rental house.

When I was a little boy, the neighbor behind us had a short range set up in his garage. He worked for the phone company and had piled telephone pole cross trees in stacks behind the garage.

My mother lived in her last home for 47 years. She lived on one of those suburban "islands" of land where the developer had no choice to but to slice the lots up into larger sizes. So most homes on this section of land had unusually large lots for the neighborhood. In later years, the owner of one of the lots she shared a short boundary with expanded his backyard garage. No windows, built like a fortress, with out-of-the-ordinary ventilation system showing from roof vents. One time I looked over the block wall at the back of his building and noticed a couple of bullet holes. So I know he had his own range in there.

Already mentioned, proper ventilation is important. There are nasty chemicals in cartridge combustion exhaust that you don't want to inhale on a repetitive basis.
Thank you for input. So ventilation is the word. Keeping it safe is the verb…. Ha see what I did there? Baby Huey made a rime.
I figured it'd likely be a "nuisance" thing.
just a daydream though. Something fun. I'm better off moving further out anyway. Out of King County if not to a free state
Thx

If you're on a budget, use your back muscles and a shovel to dig a trench with a shooting pit at one end. Install pressure treated shoring in the trench and a pulley system for targets, then cut marine grade plywood to cover the trench and then cover it with dirt.
Dude……
I'm not digging one more hole by hand here. IT's monster dinosaur eggs here. I relocated about 2-3 yards of 4-8" rocks… some bigger. Only what was left laying on top after grading septic drain field.
It was a friggin nogh to erect play system. So far all the digging I've done in this state is like just moving heavy footballs around with a shovel.

I love this story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads