JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recommendation on where to shoot outside on the west side. I live in Beaverton and am starting my gun collection and would like a place to practice. Also, recommendation on an AR15 would be good. Currently looking into RRA

For shootin':
Tri-county gun club in sherwood is great. They have tons of cool facilities and there are awesome competitions every weekend. You don't have to be a member to do the competitions either. When you get an AR-15 I highly recommend starting practical rifle whether you decide to be a member or not. The downside is it is kind of expensive. If you want a cheaper place, the range I am a member of right now is the chehalem valley sportsman club. Not quite as fully featured as tri-county, but it is also a great place to shoot and it is way cheaper. The biggest downside is it is another 20 minutes farther drive than tri-county (located in dundee).

For free outdoor shooting, you can drive way out 26 or 6 towards the coast to either brown's camp or the salmonberry spot. You will have to deal with rednecks with poor trigger and muzzle discipline out there. Directions to various spots out that way can be found on this board: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/outdoor-shooting-areas/

For AR-15:
It depends on what your budget is. For a half decent AR-15 for really cheap I would look into either a CMMG bargain bin rifle or I believe a forum member here has some moe'd out del-tons for pretty cheap. Make sure whatever rifle you get has a chrome-lined barrel.

For a really awesome top-tier AR-15 at a pretty affordable price, I would get a complete BCM upper receiver (they come in various configurations, I linked my favorite which is unfortunately out of stock until early next year) and a lower receiver from whichever manufacturer has the graphic you like the best.

+1 on Tri County. Their action range is the best for pistol practice, and they have lighted 50 yard and 100 yard ranges for your AR. The lighted ranges are the best in the winter when nobody else is around. In the daytime you can shoot out to 200 and 300 yards, or 600 yards when they open that range. It's difficult to find 100+ yard ranges that are safe and free from crowds out in the forest.

+1 on Tri County. Their action range is the best for pistol practice, and they have lighted 50 yard and 100 yard ranges for your AR. The lighted ranges are the best in the winter when nobody else is around. In the daytime you can shoot out to 200 and 300 yards, or 600 yards when they open that range. It's difficult to find 100+ yard ranges that are safe and free from crowds out in the forest.

Yeah... the other problem with the cvsc range is that the rifle range is kinda limited. Only 100 yards (or 200 if you get up really early). For pistol practice it is excellent though. There are 4 separate pistol bays so you can always get one to yourself and drag out the IPSC targets and plastic barrels for a bit o' run and gun fun.

I think TriCounty won't let you have a loaded gun in your holster while using a rifle range, or something like that?

No pistol transitions?

Not unless your rifle uses pistol caliber ammo, but I think I know what you mean, it'd be nice to switch from the M4 to the HK45. I guess that's what the forest is for...

Tri County Club is great. Join and support it and you will have a place to shoot up to 600yds on any day you choose. You can mingle with law enforcement personnel on occaision and get some questions answerd also.....

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and looking for an indoor range in the Beaverton area. I'll start my search here closer to home and then expand if I need to (although hopefully I won't have to). I saw this thread and thought I'd add to it before starting a new one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Stanley

+1 for Tri-County, its faster than going out 6 or 26, but if you go out 6 take storyburn (sp?) road to the right across from browns camp and follow the logging roads until you find a place. I'm in Aloha and I find it easy just to jump over to Tri-County.

It looks like BeaverCreek Armory in Hillsboro finished their indoor range, but it looks like you have to buy a "membership" to shoot there, plus pay a lofty range fee every time you go ($120/ year for an individual +$20 range fee per day).

It looks like BeaverCreek Armory in Hillsboro finished their indoor range, but it looks like you have to buy a "membership" to shoot there, plus pay a lofty range fee every time you go ($120/ year for an individual +$20 range fee per day).

lets not forget on top of that you have to purchase their ammo as well

Looking for recommendation on where to shoot outside on the west side. I live in Beaverton and am starting my gun collection and would like a place to practice. Also, recommendation on an AR15 would be good. Currently looking into RRA

Just picked up a CMMG 9mm AR-15 and I am very happy with it. Deffenetly nicer then RRA and the same price. Probably will not believe this but with 115gr xtp bullets over 4.6 gr of w231 I shoot 2 3/8 groups at 100 Yards with it, yes with a 9mm. You can get a new CMMG ar in .223 for about $770

It's a shame that we finally got an indoor range on the westside to find out it is part of Beaver Creek Armory.

For the prices they are asking, membership dues + per visit charge + having to buy their ammo, I'd gladly brave the elements at TCGC or CVSC or even find a spot in the woods. Heck I'd drive all the up to the Couv and spend money at the English Pit before I spend money there.

Tri County Club is great. Join and support it and you will have a place to shoot up to 600yds on any day you choose. You can mingle with law enforcement personnel on occaision and get some questions answerd also.....

Well, not exactly. You can shoot out to 600 yards when the 600 yard range is open. The rest of the time 300 is going to be your max range. When 2-300 range is open, 600 is closed and when 600 is open, 2-300 is closed. They use the same pits, and 600 shoots over the top of the 200 and 300 yard ranges. Still, I like it. If you are interested in a different kind of range, Douglas Ridge Rifle Range is accepting new members. They are a bit more lenient in some respects, but they don't have the same ammenities, or as many ranges, and in the long range, Douglas Ridge costs a little more.
I live in Beaverton, and while I used to belong to Douglas Ridge, I now belong to Tri County.

My problem with TCGC is that they REQUIRE you to have an NRA membership and you can only apply 1 day a month at 1 time per month. I work the weekends so I am screwed unless I waste a vacation day. In addition the NRA has been rather questionable in it's last few years as to who it really supports. I realize that I can choose to just not join TCGC but, to mandate giving money to a political lobbyist group is not kosher imo. I'm just going to wait for the Rock Pit to reopen.

You are right. As a matter of fact, most of the major gun clubs in this area require NRA membership. At Douglas Ridge, they even want to see a copy or either your membership card or a photo copy of your most recent magazine cover with the address label to verify that you are still a member. At Tri county, I think they just ask you if you are a member. I don't think they check. As far as the other stuff goes, If you contacted them, and explained that you have a hard time getting off on weekends, they might create a way for you to go thru the whole process with a range officer on some other day. Those range officers are mostly retired, and on some days of the week, there is very little for them to do other than talk to new people. I have found them to be very friendly and accomodating.
Still, if you have a problem with the NRA, perhaps it would be just as well if you found some other venue to shoot at. I don't feel that the NRA really has the grit that I once thought it did either.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top