JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I know this will probably show just how green I am, but I came here to learn from those more experienced, so here goes. I have a little experience shooting indoors, and a little shooting outdoors in California where it never rains, ha! But in general I'm pretty new to shooting, and I'm not a native of the PNW. So I was wondering what your guys do when the weather turns crappy, in regards to outdoor shooting. Do you still go out to the forest as often to shoot? Do you bring it indoors? Are there any types of guns you leave home when shooting in inclement weather?

Hi guys, I know this will probably show just how green I am, but I came here to learn from those more experienced, so here goes. I have a little experience shooting indoors, and a little shooting outdoors in California where it never rains, ha! But in general I'm pretty new to shooting, and I'm not a native of the PNW. So I was wondering what your guys do when the weather turns crappy, in regards to outdoor shooting. Do you still go out to the forest as often to shoot? Do you bring it indoors? Are there any types of guns you leave home when shooting in inclement weather?

10x10 canopy, camp chair and folding table.

It rarely rains heavily non stop so I just set up targets when it's less rainy.

Unless you got a range membership.

Being a native Oregonian I really don't let the weather determine a whole lot of what I do. If I'm going shooting and it's gonna rain or snow, I go shooting but plan on bringing a pop up (which is nice when it's really sunny too). I'm a rifle hunter also which means I'll be out in the weather with my guns regardless of the conditions. One thing I have gravitated toward is stainless for my hunting guns. I'm not always in the mood to give my gun a good once over after a day in the wet, stainless tends to hold up pretty well as well as synthetic stocks.

It doesn't hurt to do some shooting in adverse conditions, it helps to get yourself used to what it feels like to shoot a cold wet gun. A bigger issue w/rain is usually mud but if you avoid really dirty areas you can mostly avoid that. Although picking up your gun from the mud or a puddle to make a shot is also good training, for something :) If you're going to shoot in the rain just plan on cleaning your guns immediately afterward if you're not shooting stainless. Avoid shooting in high winds under or around tall trees.

You'll soon find out waiting on a nice fall/winter/spring day is a crap shoot. I don't shoot indoors so never really consider the weather, it is what it is. I mainly shoot at home so can run out between showers or shoot from under cover but it wasn't always the case.

Oh almost forgot THE most important thing about shooting outdoors on public land

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF!!!!

That should go w/out saying but there are many, many who apparently never got the message.

Good advice, thanks guys. It's always hood to know what you're getting yourself into. I can definitely see the benefit of practicing in adverse conditions, since bad guys don't wait for nice weather to do bad things. ;-)

I think the mud is probably the biggest concern for me.

Oh almost forgot THE most important thing about shooting outdoors on public land

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF!!!!

That should go w/out saying but there are many, many who apparently never got the message.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the site, and the issue with people leaving trash in the woods really irks me. I hate litter, and it bugs me even more when I see it in "the great outdoors". I'll be doing my part to keep things clean when I do finally start getting out.

You learn to "live with the rain" , so to speak.
I like to hunt and much of the hunting season occurs with the wet and cold season... So if you want to "play" , you find ways of doing so.

Glad to see you here on the forum and very glad to learn that you are one of those guys who "picks up after themselves." :)
Andy

Depends.

If you're practicing defensive shooting, and you expect you are more likely to need your skills when it's sunny and nice out,...or not. ;)

We've gone to the range in the rain, cold, snow, freezing rain, pitch dark and after a graveyard shift while still hungry etc etc.

Mind that our range does have covered bays, so it's no ware near on full weather effect, until practing drills forward of the bay.

So yah good advice to have some type of cover available (tarp, vehicle awning, portable canopy what have you) between drills or for a break.

just treat it like a primitive form of basic pavement mix that is neither hot or set up hard as long as it's wet....which is why it has it's own name...the various forms of much depend on where you encounter them.
Mostly, until you get familiar with what you can walk in versus what you'll need a winch to get out of, get a decent pair of waterproof knobby trail boots with room for good wool socks and a coating of boot grease.
Then study up on the rainy outdoor gear that keeps PNW outdoor folk dry and warm enough without overheating. I suppose you know 'layering' but if they didn't have it down south, in 6 weeks or so you'll be having up close reason to start using it.

Generally keeping my shooting gear suitable after exposure to the PNW fall weather thrills is minimized by stainless steel.

Generally I go to a public range, or some way=out there buddy's private property. They're all getting too geezered up lately so my plan may change.
Good luck and welcome to PNW.

Good advice, thanks guys. It's always hood to know what you're getting yourself into. I can definitely see the benefit of practicing in adverse conditions, since bad guys don't wait for nice weather to do bad things. ;-)

I don't shoot outdoors nearly as much anymore only because it's getting too long a drive now days. Mud is only a problem as far as getting stuck. Don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and have that so plan accordingly. As others mentioned some kind of canopy is nice to have both rain or shine. Get a cheap one and make or buy some kind of stakes to put down in case there is some breeze and they work great. If you have brass you want to keep and a catcher is not easy on a particular gun a tarp on the ground works well. I still VERY much enjoy shooting outside no matter what the weather. Just end up with a lot more indoor range time due to how far a drive it is to shoot outdoors now. If I ever won the lotto that would be one of the early purchases. Property where I could just go in my back yard and shoot again. Really miss those days.

Last Edited:
I shoot in all kinds of weather, knowing I'll be hunting in the same kind of uncertain conditions:

Vr0DVy8.jpg
Jkj8zMz.jpg
MsaENsd.jpg

This bull was as wet and miserable as me and my rifle was:
SWJFBQL.jpg
3gTP1m5.jpg

Last Edited:
Generally keeping my shooting gear suitable after exposure to the PNW fall weather thrills is minimized by stainless steel.

+1. And in the absence of stainless or quality parkerizing buy enough oil to become a stockholder in a major oil company. Spray your pretty blued firearms down with something like Barricade before you put it away. Nothing worse than pulling out a rusty gun when you want to go shooting. Guns like to rust in the winter in these parts.

I've purposely gone out in the heaviest of rains to test my gear. I do it nearly yearly. I know my stuff will work in the worst of weather. Plus it toughens you up a little bit so you can function in bad winds, cold and rain for a few hours.

Like others have said: take a [large] canopy and stake it down. Go with a friend, bring comfortable folding chairs and a table, coffee in a thermos, food, rags to wipe things down. I like to shoot steel, which won't fall apart like paper/cardboard targets. Doesn't have to be an ordeal: treat it like a stay at the beach in winter - weather is part of the package that makes it memorable.

If you get a cloud burst, stop shooting your rifle and start shooting the breeze while the rain beats down just outside the perimeter of your canopy. Have some more coffee. Tell more lies. Remember family and friends who have passed on. Savor your freedoms. Set some goals. Shoot some more. Go home to a warm dry home where a home cooked meal awaits the weary warrior. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top