JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I had a quick question about shooting onto someone else's property. I know you aren't lawyers (well maybe some of you), but I figure somebody undoubtedly has enough experience in these matters to answer my question.

So, I live on a pretty nice chunk of property, but I don't have the best backstops in the world. I have a paved driveway that borders on the invisible border of my property (no fences or anything). After that invisible border is the neighbors property. On his property is the sweetest backstop ever, a nice soft and steep rolling hill with great visibility. I would love to be able to shoot off of nice asphalt onto this guy's land, but I'm not sure about laws regarding lead going onto somebody else's property.

Just to reiterate- I want to keep myself, all my firearms, and all my brass off of my neighbors land, but shoot onto his land. My neighbor owns like 400+ acres, and there is a 99.999% chance he would never know I did it. I'd like to stress that there is great visibility, and this would be 100% safe.

The reason why I don't want to ask the neighbor is because I hardly ever see him and don't know his phone or email.:D

Thanks!

Go knock on his door.

It does not matter how much or how little land someone owns, it is still their property that they maintain, pay(ed) for and pay taxes on. Example do you want random people (or neighbors) parking on your nice paved driveway because you have a bigger one then they do and not asking?

I own 200 acres and a knock on my door would would not only get you permission to shoot, but I would probably shoot with you and you would have access to all the land. On the other hand you just go do it because "I have more land and probably won't notice" we will have big problems.

Agree. Odds are, you'll get his explicit permission to do what you're proposing, but what if it turns out he's a d-bag, and IF he caught you shooting onto his property either shot back or called the cops. I just live on a small acre, but if someone shot onto or across my lot without talking to me first, I'd be at the least a little annoyed if not downright pissed. Probably different than someone with 400+ acres, but the principle would be the same.

~Mitch

you just go do it because "I have more land and probably won't notice" we will have big problems.

I'm not shooting onto his land because he has more than me. I want to shoot onto his because it is more safe and convenient. Thanks, I will probably end up asking him.

However, that doesn't answer my question fully. Let's say I get permission from him. Let's say after I get permission, I shoot onto his land periodically. Could there be some kind of crime in this? I don't like being legally open to an attack. (Let's say this neighbor and I are on bad terms a few years from now).

I'm not shooting onto his land because he has more than me. I want to shoot onto his because it is more safe and convenient. Thanks, I will probably end up asking him.

However, that doesn't answer my question fully. Let's say I get permission from him. Let's say after I get permission, I shoot onto his land periodically. Could there be some kind of crime in this? I don't like being legally open to an attack. (Let's say this neighbor and I are on bad terms a few years from now).

Forgive me for not using the best statement. Regardless of why, you want to use his land because he has something you do not. You need permission for that. It is no different then someone else wanting to use your land without asking you.

Since you want to use it as a backstop I get the impression that would mean you also have to put your targets there. To get them up you would have to be physically trespassing.

As I stated in the previous post about the cost of his land. Think about what you have invested in yours plus taxes and that will give you a good idea what he is paying. With this in mind another thing that goes a long way is a simple gift/gesture that shows you understand it is not just big free open land. I have some guys that come hunting almost every year and always bring something with them. I don't drink so it is usually good steaks they bring. I end up BBQ them and we all sit and have a good dinner. Its like gifts for your GF or Wife it is usually the thought that counts.

I am not an OR resident but I do not know or have heard of any laws that would cause you problems when on private property.

There isn't an option, it's time to meet the neighbor. What would you say to them if they were using your property without asking? Most people are reasonable if approached by an average neighbor. I shoot a lot on my property and I've talked to all my nearby neighbors just to be sure that there isnt a certain time of day that will bother them. In my case nobody cares when I shoot, but a little courtesy goes a long ways.

You're good to shoot as long as you have your neighbor's permission and, a big and, it is legal to shoot where you live in Beaverton. Beaverton has some pretty snarkey laws so make sure you are within their laws and/or ordinances.

Man, if you want to be on bad terms with your neighbor just shoot on to his land on the sly! I would be livid! Just go and talk to the guy, explaining exactly what you want to do and why. As an oposite to, possibly being on bad terms someday, someday you or he might need a good neighbor badly. If bad terms happen, despite your best efforts, I would not shoot onto his land anymore (assuming permission now of course).

PS: Oh! Beaverton! No chance! Sell your guns and ammo and any trace that you have ever so much as seen a firearm! LOL!!!

Last Edited:
Common sense would have prevailed if you had asked first & recieved permission & then posted a glory story of a great new place to shoot & what a great neighbor you have.
Why would anyone even think of doing that without permission first???

We think you are getting the right idea. Knock and ask. As a suggestion, ask if he would mind signing a piece of paper stating so "just in case someone hears gun shots and calls the police." Explain you want to keep the paper so there is no problems and you can show anyone who might question. Offer to let them use your paved driveway to set-up and shoot in return. Offer to give them a signed piece of paper stating it was alright for them to be on your property too.

Invite them over to shoot and BBQ with you.

If things sour between you guys, you'll know it and probably won't want to be "friends" and any where close to each other anyway.

You also might find out that they don't want anyone on their property.

In this case, better to ask permission first, instead of asking for forgiveness later.

You might be able to check with the county tax office for his contact info (the tax man knows how to contact him). I have used this method for gaining hunting permission in the past with great success. Maybe a truck load of sand on your property. But there is no way i'd use someones else's land with out permission. You alway should ask yourself what you would think if the shoe was on the other foot.

Get the permission in writing.......

WOW.

1st Are you out of city limits?
2nd Are you in an area the county allows shooting?
3rd Are you nuts? Shooting on to someone elses property without their permission in todays world is an excellent way to meet the local Police or Sherriff.
4th How will you even if you get permission control access to the flight path of your bullets?
5th WOW...

Why dont you just haul in some material and make a backstop on your own property or offer to buy a few acres from your neighbor where the backstop is located? either way then youd be shooting on your own property and as long as its lawful to shoot there your good to go.

I'm anxious to learn here what your neighbor does after you:

- shake his hand
- state your case
- offer to share a toy
- assure him you'll keep things clean, safe and responsible
- shake his hand again... whatever he says

Something else to consider. Do you have access to any tracer rounds? It's super informative to light off a dozen or so after dusk and see for the first time where bullets really go.

I want to shoot onto his because it is more safe and convenient. ......So, I live on a pretty nice chunk of property, but I don't have the best backstops in the world.

As a landowner, small acreage (5), and a former excavation contractor I think depending on your land and topography, you could build a suitable backstop. I did, and utilize it on my own property, have up to a 250 meter range on my own property,and no discharges of brass, lead, or any other materials on my neighbors property. That leaves me self sufficient on my own land, with no need to ask the neighbor to impact his land in any way. My neighbor has a range, we shoot on both of them. He is a LEO and we share similar views. Pretty much have complete rural security around us.

Any neighbor relationships can be very interesting. They need to be cordial and friendly. Here in farm country we say, I won't tell you how to farm, you don't tell me how to farm and neither one will do anything to impact the others property.

I have went over and called out the neighbors rented hunters for dropping shot on my property, hell on my shop and house from aiming the wrong direction. They did it again, so I took my 72 Ford F 250 4X4, 428 CJ through their decoy spread in the field. Damn that was fun. They got the idea.

I also think that having a suitable and safe back stop on his property is essential to. No matter where you shoot, you need to be able to recover all rounds down range in a known area.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top