JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just don't be this guy. There's no way this should be considered safe.

Regarding the video clip of the FL man.

MY opinion. Your mileage may vary. NO problem.

This man does NOT have enough of a back stop or berms to make this safe. I do not think that he has ENOUGH LAND and other safety measures to make this safe.

It may be 'legal' for now but that does not make it SAFE worse off SANE to me.

It does not make him a courteous gun man or NEIGHBOR. I bet that his neighbors do not like him too. He has no suppressors on his guns. If he had them, I did not see them or hear less noise. Are they legal to own in FL? Beats me!

That is WHY we should have HAD those promised HEARING PROTECTION laws passed. ALL of those things should be easy to buy, own, pass on and use without all of the HOOPLA. My opinion. Unregulated and inexpensive to buy.

Disclaimer: We do not own any suppressors but according to what I have read - they ARE legal in MT. My husband said that they are LEGAL in MT and IN STOCK at Bob Ward's here in town and maybe in other stores. But he has seen them in BW for sure. I just asked him this.

Back to the FL man... sigh.

This SET UP looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen, a shot up - wounded or dead person waiting to happen, more ticked off people who want MORE GUN LAWS because this man just 'Has To Have HIS Range' that CLOSE to other properties on that small of a lot. Plus shot up property - his own and other homes and boat owners close to him who may be docked not just sailing by.

IT LOOKS like one of those RV PARKING lots that that they sell for CABIN or BOAT lots size wise to me but I did NOT get a full view of his PROPERTY - square footage.
I am NOT knocking people who OWN or CHOOSE to have small lots of land to park a camper or to put a tiny house on close to or far away from the water when I say this.

Heck, even at Camp Perry, the US COAST GUARD closes off boat traffic on a Great Lake (Lake Erie.) AND they have EXTRA spotters to see EXACTLY where those shots that are fired END UP. The CG does not only use ONE BOAT out of Marblehead Light House - CG Station and they are constantly on PATROL to STOP ALL BOAT TRAFFIC from all sides! And that is not just for some national match! THEY DO THAT FOR ANY TYPE OF SHOOTING EVENT OR FIREARM PRACTICE OR QUALIFICATIONS.

ADDED MORE ABOVE.

I know this for a fact because my I used to go there with my late husband, some friends and/or alone to WATCH the matches - state, national and international champion shooters compete there. People come from all over! Active military, retired military and civilians compete.

We went there at other times with our military passes. Nice beach for the Sunfish of mine. Plus a good fishing pier. Plus with our bigger sail and power boats, we could anchor and swim to shore. Etc.

This FL man has a CANAL, boat traffic coming and going, and VERY close neighbors on all sides of him PLUS across the canal too.

Plus does he have an EXTRA SPOTTER to the SIDE OR SIDE EDGE of his property to see if some boat is coming where he may NOT have seen it when he did his walk back to LOOK at the canal?!

Plus between the time frame of him looking at the CANAL for boat traffic or for homeowners or for walkers ALL around him in this area until he walks BACK to shoot and DURING the time frame of 'said shooting' even it is is SHORT - 15 minutes or less... a boat could be coming down or up that canal or a jet ski going slower or a homeowner or WALKER could be DOWN RANGE of his target area!

So I don't hear him talking about a SPOTTER and I do NOT see the USCG (LOL!) or any official or UNOFFICIAL boat on the CANAL from each end/each direction ready to STOP any boat traffic. You know for SAFETY REASONS as just in case deals.

This man sounds like some people who only THINK of themselves (Selfish, self absorbed and really careless.) and THOSE people have NO regard for being POLITE and safety.

I am ALL FOR PEOPLE being able to buy land, set up their own shooting ranges safely, being able to PLINK on their own land safely and/or HUNT (Or fish!) on their own land safely.

Being a responsible and safe/sane gun owner is just like being a responsible and safe/sane DRIVER, PARENT or PET owner.

I just showed this VIDEO to my husband and he said a few things. One of them was that he thought that the FL man was an extremely bad spokesman for firearm owners.

My husband said that this man is rude, has bad manners as a gun man and he is not safe. He called him another name that I can't post too. Uh huh.

I wonder what his homeowner's policy costs with this 'range'?!

Cate

ADDED MORE AND TYPOS!

Last Edited:
There are 1800 full auto machines guns that are legal in WA, they were grandfathered in when WA passed the bill banning them for civilian ownership (around 1986 as I recall). Also legal for 07/02 manufacturers to own or manufacture. We have several dozen from a P90 to 240B.
Isn't full auto machine gun kind of redundant? Is it to differentiate between them and full semi-auto?

We need a LOT more gun people like you! I keep meaning to get down there and see your place. I'm sure I will be like a kid in a candy store walking around drooling :D
Don't do it!

I've only been in the store twice and I'll never be the same.
Multiple nighthawks? And korth? And new release top dollar pistols from manufacturers I don't know about?
Makes me want to remortgage my house.
For reals tho, it's a beautiful little shop and I am glad it's almost 3 hours away.

i live on a postage-stamp sized lot in the 'burbs. there's no way in heck, legal or otherwise, i'd use a real gun for backyard plinking. sounds crazy for a mind-boggling number of reasons.

but good on him for havin' the balls to do so. not sure it reflects well on the rest of us tho'.

if ya know me, ya know i'm gonna say this.
doesn't mean you can't keep the skills up.

here's my 10M (about 33ft) side of the Ravenswood Range. practice all day long and no cops or complaints. :)
rangenightpic002.JPG

when in the mood for something longer, the 25-yard side...
diana34may2021a.jpg

(wish i had, oh, 100yards 20-feet out my back door!)

Long time back, my parents would take us to some property in the Sierra foothills. We'd shoot a Winchester 22 all day into the creek if we could. The next door neighbors were Dutch Indies survivors, so I think every time they heard a shot, it would startle them and give them flashbacks.

I recently moved to a great spot in Ohio. My neighbors to my rear shoot quite a bit. I'm wondering where these guys get all their ammo?!

Is does make me nervous as there is a berm back there but not a huge one.

But it still sounds like freedom to me

I recently moved to a great spot in Ohio. My neighbors to my rear shoot quite a bit. I'm wondering where these guys get all their ammo?!

Are you close to MI, close to Catawba - NW, northern - the islands close to Canada, down in southern, eastern or western Ohio if I may ask?

There are MANY pro gun people in the Great Lakes region and even on the East Coast but many people do not 'see it that way' due to some news and due to a specific group of politicians.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

Agreed, I'm all for shooting on your own property if it's safe, but guys like that give responsible gun owners a bad name.
Not to harp on ya, but these saying are kinda annoying. I see gun owmership as more like driving a car. When someone gets in a accident or drives recklessly NO ONE is like awe man, They are making me look bad..

No this is a cheap narrritive they want you to beleive. I will always side more on the side of all people have a right to bear arms. And people have the right to defend themselves. Rather than only the chosen few get to own guns because we are unwaveringly responsible..
Guns are there for one reason. To check the balance of tyranny and that doesnt happen by doling them out sparingly. The main problem is we as citizens arent allowed to regulate the bad guys with them as much as we should. And the police should be allowed to fill the gap more. ANTIFA MUST be checked and stopped. If police wont do it we should be ALLOWED to stand up for our rights.

Congrats on the move. Im jealous. I quite shooting at a co workers place because he didnt have a burn at all and expected the 200' of trees or whatever to stop from shootimg the neighbors kids who could be playing in the woods. Some peoples children..:rolleyes:

Does Oregon have requirements for backstops, berms, etc when shooting on private property? If not what would recommend berm height be from floor of backstop. Would log walls be sufficient for berm to catch ricochet?

Does Oregon have requirements for backstops, berms, etc when shooting on private property? If not what would recommend berm height be from floor of backstop. Would log walls be sufficient for berm to catch ricochet?
Bullets can ricochet off trees; I've seen it happen. But it seems to me if you have soft wood like pine and you have the logs pressed together, you're unlikely to have a problem. Never tried it though, we've only used dirt, sand or bark. And some really thick mulch once, which was a little smelly but worked surprisingly well. There's an NRA book on range best practices. I'll try to find a link to it if nobody links something better soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top