JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any light on the legalities of shooting on the beaches in Washington? I couldn't find an RCW that said it was illegal...

As a kid we would shoot out in to Lake Superior and it was great. Nothing like some tracers flying out in to the great black expanse over a bonfire.

Thanks

RedneckRampage said it's illegal to shoot over water. Well, then no one could hunt waterfowl. So, can I not shoot from a boat or ship?

EMP9596 says I can't hunt on a beach.

Neither have answered my question. Show me an RCW that says I can't throw clay pigeons or otherwise shoot recreationally.

Thanks

WAC 332-52-145: Firearms and target shooting.

Of course shooting on Long Beach would be silly. But I don't see how shooting biodegradable clay pigeons would be illegal based on the citation of Washington law posted above.

I'm not going to ask cops what is legal. I'm going to read the legislation to figure out what is legal.

I can't see any RCW stating that shooting on a coastal beach is illegal as long as the shooting occurs within the parameters or the stated law above.

Can anyone point me to an RCW and or local law outside of what I posted?

Because based on the legislation I can't find recreational shooting to be illegal on beaches.

Long Beach is a road. Shooting from or across a road is bad.

Shooting on a beach??

That's my question.

Thanks.

You can be cited for a lot of things. Those citations being upheld in court is another.

WSP cites based on RCW. I can't find an RCW that states its illegal to shoot from a beach in to open water.

If counties have laws stating otherwise that is what I would like to know. Please point me toward actual statute. Doing a search of every county's laws isnt exactly what i want to do. That's why I asked the question in order to narrow thing down. But, it seems like this is much more of a grey area than I would have guessed.

Here is a starter:

AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending WSR 93-06-001, filed 2/17/93, effective 3/20/93)

WSR 98-04-065 PERMANENT RULES PARKS AND RECREATION COMMISSION

WAC 352-32-120 Firearms and/or weapons. No person shall possess a firearm with a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism within any upland state park area, nor shall any person discharge or propel across, in, or into any upland state park area as defined in WAC 352-32-010(((13))), a firearm, bow and arrow, spear, spear gun, harpoon, or air or gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal, or damaging or destroying any public or private property, except where the commission for good cause has authorized a special recreational activity upon finding that it is not inconsistent with state parks use. This WAC does not apply to on duty law enforcement officers when working in the official capacity of their employing law enforcement agency.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040. 93-06-001, 352-32-120, filed 2/17/93, effective 3/20/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040 and 43.51.060. 86-06-020 (Order 91), 352-32-120, filed 2/25/86; Order 9, 352-32-120, filed 11/24/70.]
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending WSR 96-22-018, filed 10/29/96, effective 1/1/97)

On public beaches under DNR, take a look at WAC 332-52-145: Firearms and Target Shooting.

"(3) Where is target shooting permitted?

(a) Persons may target shoot in:

(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or

(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and
debris in a safe manner.

Persons shall not target shoot in any other location."

EMP9596

According to your citation that only applied to "upland state park areas" within your citation you will see a reference to "Definitions WAC 352-32-010". Which does not define a beach at all...

So I am confused as to how a law that makes no reference within its own definitions to beaches and or tidal beaches applies at all.

WAC 332-52-145

Agency filings affecting this section

Firearms and target shooting.

(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.

(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.

(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.

(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.

(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.

(3) Where is target shooting permitted?

(a) Persons may target shoot in:

(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or

(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.

Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.

(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.

(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:

(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;

(ii) Residences;

(iii) Businesses;

(iv) Structures;

(v) Other areas as restricted;

(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.

(4) What may be used as a target?

(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:

(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;

(ii) Vegetation;

(iii) Structures;

(iv) Gates;

(v) Vehicles;

(vi) Signs;

(vii) Other department improvements;

(viii) Appliances;

(ix) Furniture;

(x) Glass;

(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;

(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;

(xiii) Wildlife;

(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

(xv) Garbage of any kind.

Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.

(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.

(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.

(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

[Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.30 RCW and RCW 43.12.065. 09-05-034, § 332-52-145, filed 2/11/09, effective 3/14/09.]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top