JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This happened yesterday in NY. The guy had a chunk of metal and was pointing it at people on the street before the cops showed up and killed him. Based on the video, I have no doubt that the police response was completely justified, but the usual suspects are outraged, bla bla bla.

This caught my attention because this guy really looked like he had a gun, and had it been a CPL holder (in a state where that's allowed rather than NY) that ended this guy, without the surveillance footage, I would imagine you would have to defend your action in court. And with the public outrage, I wouldn't be surprised if you were convicted.

I don't know what the answer is, but something to think about if you carry.

Better judged by 12 than carried by six I suppose.

Dispatcher needs to be fired then indicted. You do NOT add fuel to any fire by suggesting anything. The dispatcher should have asked ... "What is the guy holding?" Not most definitely ... "Is he holding a gun?".

Death by 911 dispatcher.

Dispatcher needs to be fired then indicted. You do NOT add fuel to any fire by suggesting anything. The dispatcher should have asked ... "What is the guy holding?" Not most definitely ... "Is he holding a gun?".

Death by 911 dispatcher.

It looked like a gun to me? :confused:

Would you have not shot? If he aimed that at you?? Holding it exactly like a gun???

Death by 911 dispatcher.

No this guy is dead because of HIS actions. It's sad because he is sick, but if you act like you are going to shoot someone with a gun, you are probably getting shot. Nobody has the time to figure out if it's a real gun in the moment.

My point is without witnesses or video, it might eff you over.

This happened yesterday in NY. The guy had a chunk of metal and was pointing it at people on the street before the cops showed up and killed him. Based on the video, I have no doubt that the police response was completely justified, but the usual suspects are outraged, bla bla bla.

This caught my attention because this guy really looked like he had a gun, and had it been a CPL holder (in a state where that's allowed rather than NY) that ended this guy, without the surveillance footage, I would imagine you would have to defend your action in court. And with the public outrage, I wouldn't be surprised if you were convicted.

I don't know what the answer is, but something to think about if you carry.

Better judged by 12 than carried by six I suppose.

IIRC, @tac described himself as being an expert courtroom video scrutinizer, supposedly to divine whether or not it was a good shoot by armed policemen or not over there.
I'm especially referring to the second video screenshot (I didn't click)

When things are happening fast, you shoot fast and I'd a probably shot. never know, knock on wood

Difficult call indeed for the armed private citizen. I was alluding to the set piece where the dispatcher makes things worse by telling the responding cops that the crazy guy definitely had a gun in his hand.

Clarity of hindsight is truly wondrous to behold...4K at least! and for being based on input we get from footage provided by shaky, grainy, low-res, crap video makes it even more miraculous.

Quite frankly, I see only a cursory similarity between what the nutcase was supposed to be brandishing and what is shown laying on the pavement. The item on the ground doesn't have what looks like a lug beneath the barrel and it has a brass fitting on the end that seems absent when he's holding it. The picture quality is low though, so I could be all wet. Given that the cops had a second to respond and people to protect, the outcome was both expected and understandable.

I guess they could have taken the time to discuss it at a city counsel meeting with their lawyers, activists, media and supervisors before they shot...
....but if it was a gun......

First, consider the LEs released the video mighty quickly next day, why? Out of the kindness of the blue hearts? Chicago too two years and several court orders to release theirs!

Nobody has commented on the perps pose? Similar to someone being crucified?

Finally, Quote
Jaccbot Hinds, 40, who witnessed the shooting said officers jumped out of their unmarked police car and fired without warning.

"They just hopped out of the car. It's almost like they did a hit. They didn't say please. They didn't say put your hands up, nothing," Hinds said. Unquote.

Like i said seems odd the LEs released videos so quicky...the ham sandwich seems a bit rotten in NYC!

V. sad, but when somebody is pointing what looks like a gun at you, and you are armed, it's the first person to pull the trigger who usually stays upright to walk away. Had this been on observable CCTV, with time to make a judgement call, then he might have lived. The police DO seem to have gone for the instant, and unfortunately fatal, decision to shoot first at what appeared to be a gunman.

My opinion is 'suicide by cop'.

tac

First, consider the LEs released the video mighty quickly next day, why? Out of the kindness of the blue hearts? Chicago too two years and several court orders to release theirs!

Nobody has commented on the perps pose? Similar to someone being crucified?

Finally, Quote
Jaccbot Hinds, 40, who witnessed the shooting said officers jumped out of their unmarked police car and fired without warning.

"They just hopped out of the car. It's almost like they did a hit. They didn't say please. They didn't say put your hands up, nothing," Hinds said. Unquote.

Like i said seems odd the LEs released videos so quicky...the ham sandwich seems a bit rotten in NYC!

By all means when you have someone pointing a gun at people you should go up and say "please don't do that".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top