JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wowzer. Bagging an elk with a circa 1800 rifle; that is the definition of "kicking it old school." Very beautiful rifle and a successful hunt; most wonderful. 'gratz, friend. :s0155::D
Thank you....that was a fun hunt for sure.

One the way out I drove past a game warden and his check station...
The look on the game warden's face when he asked to see my tags , license and rifle was excellent...
He checked out my tags / license then asked to see my rifle if it was loaded and primed...
So I pull the J.Henry out of the case...
His eyes get wide and says "Wow that isn't a Thompson Center Hawken....:D
So I tell him what it is and how old it is....very cool day for sure.
Andy

That is a really good-lookin rifle- can't tell from the pic if it has sights? 1800- 220 years young! Being a trade rifle it would have been for the Indian trade?
Yep it has sights ...19th century period sights were low ...not at all like today's sights commonly seen on replica or even reproduction muzzle loaders.
And yep again it was made for use in the Fur Trade.
Either to be sold / traded to a tribe or for use by a fur trade company employee.
Andy

Last Edited:
Gotta love those old rifles...especially the old military. When you heft one of those old pieces, you have to admire those who marched off to war carrying these oh so many years ago. Each one has a story that will never be told which makes the allure for these oldies that much more desirable.

Scan_20220409.jpg

Winchester Model 1876, 45-60 Caliber. Manufactured in 1884. If the foremost firearms forensics expert in the United States and a prominent western biographer are right, it may also be a murder weapon. (Apart from the more recent recipient of its attentions shown here.)

View attachment 1173472

Winchester Model 1876, 45-60 Caliber. Manufactured in 1884. If the foremost firearms forensics expert in the United States and a prominent western biographer are right, it may also be a murder weapon. (Apart from the more recent recipient of its attentions shown here.)
THAT, my friend, is a story that begs to be told- and heard 😶

Any idea if it's one of the Transvaal or OFS rifles rebranded for the Chileans?
I have no idea what that means, so I can't really answer your question.
I do know...
My brother acquired the gun in the 60's, back when you could still order used weapons out of magazines.
It was made before 1897 because of how the receiver is marked.
It's part of the 4th group of 10000 Mauser made for the Chilean government.
That's the original stock. My brother cut it down because he felt it didn't need all that wood. We had a big can of brown stain back then, so he stained it with that.
The sling is something my dad gave him.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews