JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first bike was a 1966 Honda 305, bought new the day I got my drivers license. Next was a BMW then assorted other rice burners. Started track racing when I was about 23 with a Yamaha 100 twin as it was much safer on the track than street. Have ridden one of the old flathead Harley bikes too. Used to race at Sidewinders before they got shut down by the house owners that moved in around the track. Honorary life member of the Black Cats MC club (if it's even around now).
Best bike I ever had was a hopped up Yamaha TT-500 in a Dick Mann (anybody here remember him?) frame although the 400 Maico was no slouch either. Even rode the Maico through some sections at GoldBar during an international trials competition. Boy did I get some double takes from the trials riders! One of my riding buddies was OR Desert #1 for a couple years. We used to get into some ding-dong side by side races. My last bike was a Yamaha 500 single till my equilibrium gave out one day on a ride on a mountain road. Decided to hang it up, probably 25 years ago now.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I sold both of these this summer..
07 Suzuki GSXR600
IMG_2235_zps19f47229.jpg
04 Kawasaki ZZR1200
IMG_1424.jpg
02 Suzuki SV650S

03 Honda CB900F Hornet

1993 ZX11D Ninja and My #1 Co-pilot

1988 Suzuki Katana, and someone wearing a younger mans clothes

The most dangerous bike in the garage....

I miss those days when they were that little and cute....

My son on Mt St Helens on the Lahar

The outtakes....

IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1651.jpg ninjajake.jpg CopyofIMG_0704.jpg Copyof100_0203.jpg 100_2791.jpg 0403091449.jpg IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0277.jpg IMG_20110513_170253.jpg IMG_20110513_155636.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1975 XS650

Probably my 10th or 12th scoot (more if you count Briggs & Stratton and Tecumseh). Some performance mods (suspension and ignition), but mostly retro cosmetics to remove all that huge, gawdy 70's crappola, uncover the classic lines and take me back to the 60's when I started riding.

Not unlike a lot of what I like to shoot.

mirrors_zps94d4bb2a.jpg

DSC01143_zps6291d834.jpg
1991ish Kennedy Meadows, CA aboard my XR600.

I've always liked XRs, owned many 500s, 600s, and later 400s. Once they went water-cooled I switched to Yamaha WRs.

Rufus, my offroad experience can be summed up on a few street legal 175cc Honda/Kawasaki enduros with headlights and maybe 4-5 inches of spring travel. I caught 2 feet of sick air on those rigs and thought I was Roger Decoster/Steve McQueen.

10-15 years later, into cafe racers and Harleys, I hopped on a friend's Yamaha 650 twin or thumper with 12-inch shocks and stump-pulling 4-stroke torque from hell. Took it for a spin in the woods near Murrieta Hot Springs, and that thing scared the living sh*t out of me!

With all that said, I'm impressed with the wheelie in your picture and I dig the zen moment.

Yes, I fairly suck at riding off-road - I am almost 60 and really out of shape.

But at least I know the difference between off-road and being on a road (a lot of people think once they get off pavement they are "off-road" - if that were true I "off-road" every day since I live "off-road") - being off-road means being OFF any kind of road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great motorcycles here guys. Love it. I've been a motorcycle guy for most of my life, although I don't ride any more. My health went south several years ago and it's just no longer a good idea. Sold it all and sure do miss it. Riding is what kept me sane, not riding explains a lot if you know what I mean.

Started desert racing in the late '70s only because my friends could not ride as much as I wanted to, and you do not want to ride off-road alone. Figured I might as well ride with several hundred new "friends" each month. That way if I did get hurt or something bad happened, I would not just rot in the middle of nowhere.

Once a month there was a Hare Scrambles within driving distance. It was a great excuse to get in shape and get away from the stress of life. I soon learned that desert racing was nuts. Did that for a few years but ended up really getting into enduro. The speeds were not as extreme and it required serious skills. This was back when they were timed events. You had to be at a certain place (checkpoint) at a certain time. One minute late earned you one point, two minutes two points and so on. Being early was worse - two points per minute.

There would be eight/ten/twelve checkpoints per loop, most events had two loops at about 40-50 miles each. The course included instructions where they would have you go slow on easy terrain and impossibly fast on very difficult terrain. Lots of traps and gottchas. At the end of the day low score wins. It was hard to do well.

The events were hosted by different clubs. Some clubs had well deserved reputations of fun and/or crazy events. Some event were very serious and difficult, others light hearted and less serious, like having naked girls working remote checkpoints. You never knew what to expect.

The picture below was taken at one of those gottchas, only here there was a cameraman ready to capture a picture of you crashing wildly. As you can see, not a fast section. What you cannot see is just beyond the ridge in the background it was flat and smooth for a long distance. About 100 yards before the ridge and rocks, there was a much smaller set of boulders with a mannequin dressed in riding gear sprawled out across the rocks. This was a warning sign of what awaits ahead. Sounds like fun. 'eh?

DSC01163_zps6ed2f517.jpg

This was in Lucerne Valley, California around 2001. In the picture I had been desperately trying to slow down my WR400 after cresting the ridge and seeing the boulder garden. I was trying to make up time by going faster than I should have been but after seeing the dummy in the rocks, knew to ease up a bit.

Sorry about the longwinded post. Had too much coffee this morning and like I said earlier, I sure do miss it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top