JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooting happened starting at 9:30 AM. A guy threatened to kill himself with pills. A cop shows up and gets shot through the door. A second cop was shot at a nearby park from the house. I don't know what kind of rifle was used, but heard it was scoped. He then turned himself in. The details should come out soon and maybe more clarification. Very sad. My thoughts are with the families involved.

<broken link removed>

by Jeff Thompson, KGW.com Staff
kgw.com

Posted on March 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Updated today at 12:26 PM

PORTLAND &#8211; Two officers were injured during a shootout in Southeast Portland Sunday morning, police said.
Sgt. Pete Simpson said the initial call was a suicidal man, attempting to kill himself with pills. There was no indication that the man had weapons.

The officer responding to that call was injured either by shrapnel or by bullet fragments as the suspect shot through the door of the home, in the 3300 Block of Southeast 10th Avenue.

Another officer was approaching the home from a nearby park when the suspect shot him with a rifle, from inside the house. Additional officers provided cover fire to protect that officer.
A hostage negotiation team was able to convince the suspect to surrender. He was taken into custody just after 10:30 a.m.

Simpson later reported the suspect was armed with a rifle, a shotgun and a handgun.

The suspect was described as a 61-year-old male.

TriMet buses evacuated people from the area while the investigation continued.

The SERT Team was activated and streets were being closed off around SE Milwaukie Avenue and SE Powell Blvd.

Horribly, two officers were shot! Not to be taken the wrong way, but the Mayor commented that this was "good police work!". Yup! This was on the evening new! I keep thinking that the social-economic/community pressures are so high that citizens are getting crazier and the police are making more hazard mistakes and/or are under staffed. I keep thinking that there must be gross deficiencies in police administration which trickles down to inadequate preparation or police strategies or the failure of the department or the county to properly prepare or provide for the safety of the officers. Very disgusted with the shooting of the officers, and keep thinking something could have been done to provide for their safety. The shooter was nuts and the safety of the officers was not provided for. This is just another instance of Bozos in charge who underestimate the threat of mentally ill people and send officers into danger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top