Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shooting Instructor Dies After 9-year-old girl fired an uzi at him.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chee-to, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

News
    Shooting Instructor Dies After Gun Range Accident
    9-Year-Old Girl Fires Uzi At Indoor Range In Dolan Springs, Arizona August 26, 2014 10:15 AM

( Las Vegas, NV ) – An instructor at a northwestern Arizona shooting range has died after a 9-year-old girl accidentally fired an uzi at him.

The shooting took place Monday morning in Dolan Springs, a small town about an hour’s drive toward Kingman off US Highway 93.

The Mohave County Sheriff’s office says it happened at an indoor shooting range.

A fire spokesman says investigators think the unidentified 39-year-old man was showing the girl how to use the gun when she pulled the trigger

Unconfirmed reports say the man was shot at least twice in the head.

He was flown by helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas where he died last night.

asvegas.cbslocal.com/2014/08/26/shooting-instructor-dies-after-gun-range-accident/

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I think he did it wrong.

decklin and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Kinda did it to himself,letting a 9yo shoot a full auto
    Now she gets to live with that and it's was really all his fault

4. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Sounds like the 9 year old was unable to control the muzzle rise during full auto fire. Sad turn of events but one that should have never happened. The guy put a lot of faith (and his life) in the hands of a inexperienced 9 year old. You can do that a few times but eventually complacency will catch up to you.

clearconscience, decklin and mjbskwim like this.
  5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Im all for ones kids to learn about firearms and shoot as well but..
    There is a right and wrong age for kids to shoot certain firearms.
    Clearly, she could not handle it and Im quite sure she hadn't had prior experience.

What ever the case, its a shame.

6. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

It is a good idea to start out on single shots, bolt action, lever actions THEN move to semi auto and then on to Full Auto.

I wonder what kind of experience the 9 year old had with firearms? If she had a lot of experience (at 9?) that is one thing. If she had little to none, starting off with a FA uzi is downright abusive and insane. She could have accidentally killed more people.

Sad.

humdrum, 3MTA3, cooper and 1 other person like this.
  7. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the only victim here is that little girl.
    Complacency kills.

8. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

My 13 year old nephew still have not shooting anything bigger then 22lr. Introduce them slowly at smaller caliber.

9. IronMonster

It was at a place called "Bullets and Burgers" which is a tourist attraction where you can pick from a range of weapons from a Browning M2 .50 BMG down to a UZI mini. The girl was with here family vacationing from New Jersey and had fired the UZI in semi auto a hand full of times prior to the incident.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  10. IronMonster

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"Ok honey, your turn!" "You can shoot the bolt action .22 and if you do it properly you can shoot the 10-22!" "We'll teach you to spray bullets next week!":(

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Poor kid, it's just sad.

U201491, mjbskwim and ZigZagZeke like this.
  13. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

My youngest is 10. I can't even imagine her in this situation.

14. IronMonster

It really is. It sounds like it would be a fun place to spend an afternoon. I suspect that the "instructor " has dozens if not hundreds of inexperienced folks come through a week and with little more than a quick talking too puts a pretty serious weapon in their hands. For an adult its probably manageable but at 9 years old I doubt the little girl understood the gravity of the situation. Im sure she does now. She will be scared for life because some guy made a bad call (course it cost him his life)

15. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Well, I guess that will sour her on guns for a while.

I am just glad she wasn't the one physically hurt.

16. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

my uncle was in Europe, a combat engineer, one day they got to shoot STENs. The man standing to my uncle's right lost control of his STEN, turned right and mowed down the GI next to him
    play stupid games....

17. IronMonster

True, It would have been worse if she would have shot a parent, sibling or herself

18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If you hand (very carefully yadda) even a semi auto to a newbie, it should only be loaded with one round and you should be in a position to pounce/control the weapon with your hands. too bad but lesson learned

humdrum, U201491, chemist and 2 others like this.
  19. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I blame the parents and instructor. This is what happens when people live in liberal wanna be gun free states like NJ. Probably overzealous when they get a little breath of freedom and liberty.
    Either way parents shouldn't have let their little girl just got at it with FA firearms and the instructor should have had more brains and control of the situation. Accidents are accidents, and stupidity is stupidity.

20. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

article-2734769-20D596EF00000578-776_306x423.jpg

+11
    Tragic: This screen grab shows the split second before the nine-year-old girl shoots Charles Vacca in the head. In the frame, the girl can clearly be seen to have lost her double handed grip on the Uzi as it recoils after firing. Her left hand is prized free as bullets fire (seen hitting behind the target circled in red). The gun is in her right hand and is clearly moving towards Vacca

Mohave County Sheriff officials have taken the

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-teacher-head-visit-range.html#ixzz3BYZHdRfF
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook