JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooting inside Clackamas Fred Meyer injures 1; suspect arrested

Clackamas County sheriff's deputies are investigating a shooting in the Clackamas Fred Meyer store, west of Happy Valley.

A suspect has been arrested. Meanwhile, one victim has been taken to the hospital by ambulance.

Emergency dispatchers were alerted by a 9-1-1 call that someone armed with a handgun had shot another person inside the store, 16301 S.E. 82nd Drive. Shoppers then helped to disarm and detain the gunman until store security and deputies arrived.

The gunman had a head injury, but it was not the result of a gunshot.

The shooting victim reportedly has been shot in the leg.

Further information is not yet available.

http://www.oregonlive.com/happy-valley/index.ssf/2012/08/shooting_inside_clackamas_fred.html

Sounds like there was an argument in the checkout line, someone pulled a handgun and shoots the other in the leg, customers take the shooter down...........

The fact that he is, to quote Predator, "one ugly mofo" doesn't do our image any favors is enough but the fact he shot someone over an argument? Idiot.

One fool with a gun and a permit is what they'll see. But the news won't point out how small a % that is compared to the number of permitted people out there.

EVO 4G

I didn't get a chance to read the whole slew of comments but I would say that someone, if they haven't already, should also point out that there are people put in positions of trust/power all of the time and they abuse that trust (teachers who have sex with their students, accountants who steal from their clients, police who beat and abuse suspects, etc.). It is a small number for them as well and it doesn't lead to a call about getting rid of all of them. It should be treated the same - as a bad apple who abused their power/trust and should pay for it. But that the other 99% shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of the, say 1% (just throwing out a number, not a real number).

Not good for our image :(

No, and how about this idea:

If you're a CHL holder and you happen to be
in an irritable mood, foul mood, feel bad, down, or upset, etc.-esp. if you're the short-tempered type-it might be a good idea to leave your weapon at home(and optimally, leave your car parked in your garage too-this would reduce a lot of road rage incidents).

I know this sounds stupid, simplistic, idealistic, unrealistic but one of the things I remember about my CHL class(Multnomah County Sheriff)was how we should always go out of our way to avoid trouble.

So if you are the "trouble" maybe you shouldn't be carrying until you "get over it".

Another thing about the CHL class: the instructor passed out a list of stores, etc. that allowed concealed carry. One of these was Fred Meyer.

Because of this guy's action at a Fred Meyer, this may soon no longer be the case.

Well I personally know of someone who got a DUI and got their license revoked hahahahahhaah. Apparently this person is saying that he/she just got their CHL back. This was his/her "first" DUI arrest and a diversion class was attended..... I seen the mugshot of the person and no doubt the person was intoxicated. I was under the impression that you would have to wait three years till you can go after getting your CHL back after an alcohol related arrest.... someone who might know more can correct me, and please have proof.

If this guy didn't move the firearm away he probably would have been killed so I'm glad to hear that he was able to get the gun to point down towards his legs and it was very smart to stick his finger behind the trigger. This is why I stay away from certain neighborhoods. It's enough that I have to take public transportation and I take the yellow line and as soon as I hit the rose quarter station going towards the expo center.... it all goes to he ll from there.

I do my best to always be aware of what and who is around me..... when I see people close to me as I am entering my PIN number, I either cover the buttons with my free hand or move the whole unit to the side (some swing side to side) and punch my PIN in.

They need armed uniform security in certain places (stores) if you ask me.... visual deterrence baby.

I didn't get a chance to read the whole slew of comments but I would say that someone, if they haven't already, should also point out that there are people put in positions of trust/power all of the time and they abuse that trust (teachers who have sex with their students, accountants who steal from their clients, police who beat and abuse suspects, etc.). It is a small number for them as well and it doesn't lead to a call about getting rid of all of them. It should be treated the same - as a bad apple who abused their power/trust and should pay for it. But that the other 99% shouldn't have to pay for the mistakes of the, say 1% (just throwing out a number, not a real number).

Really an excellent observation, thanks.

some wittiness's say it may be self defence

[CLACKAMAS, OR (KPTV) -
There are conflicting witness reports about the fight between two men at a Clackamas Fred Meyer Tuesday that ended in a shooting.

Billy Young was shot in the knee during the struggle and is recovering at his Milwaukie home, according to his wife, Dorothy Young.

The fight took place in aisle 13 at the checkout counter after Dorothy Young said the alleged shooter, Jerry Harryman, was looking at her PIN number.

That's when she said Bill Young told him to "back off."

"He shoved a cart at Bill," Dorothy Young said. "Bill just moved out of the way and then he threw a punch at Bill and they just started wrestling."

But witness Lori Amato said that's not what she saw from the electronics department nearby.

Amato said Bill Young threw the first punch, even running though the adjacent aisle, which was empty, to get to Harryman at the back of aisle 13's checkout.

"The first punch was thrown by the gentleman who got shot," Amato said. "He was very aggressive in his verbal abuse to the man and how he came around and went after the man."

She believes Harryman may have been acting in self defense when he shot Young.

"The man (Harryman) yelled ‘I have a gun' but the man kept hitting him. Then (Harryman) shot him."

"I thought he was in survival mode, trying to protect himself at the time," Amato said.

Another witness, Paul McDonald, who didn't see the fight said he helped get the gun from Harryman.

"The guy who got shot and basically handed the situation by himself, man he's got nothing but respect (from me)," McDonald said. "That guys a hero as far as I'm concerned."

Dorothy young agrees. When asked about accounts that her husband may have started it, Young said "I wonder what they would do if someone was looking at their pin number?"

All the witnesses agreed it was customers who wrestled the gun away from both of the men.

Harryman declined to comment on the story until he has talked to an attorney.

The sheriff's office said Harryman did have a valid concealed handgun license, which has now been revoked pending his charges.
/QUOTE]

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top