JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice not bad for $28. Thermal is pretty sweet I have burris thermal monocular on order and have their thermal rifle scope. Makes the darkness go away and can see critters moving around.
Oh, no, these aren't thermal. I misunderstood you. I wish I could find a thermal one for quadruple that price!

I typically use a packing blanket. They stain and get singed sometimes but they don't melt, they're cheap, padded for prone shooting and the surface material is real easy to shake or bang off ground debris. They will pick up a bit of surface moisture sometimes, but don't really saturate.... and could be scotchguarded I'm sure. Its easy enough to put it dry side out for packing it home and hang up in the garage to dry between sessions.

I've been using the same ones for years, but YMMV.

Watch out for snow laden boughs if you're shooting a boomer.
Earlier I thought about mentioning how oddly soothing the sound is when a branch gives up it's snow load to "whomp" into the snow below... but I didn't want to make the whole Zen thing of snow shooting....."weird". 🤣

Practicing for when frosty attacks I see
Hey now!! I haven't seen it either, but the picture should be enough to know... you don't wanna see Frosty when he's angry...
1669961447275.png

Somewhere along the line, I've become more fragile. Yesterday, I got adventuresome. Due to recently high winds, I knew I had leaves in the gutters, even after cleaning gutters about three weeks ago. We've had a bit of snow here lately. I don't like leaves in the gutters followed by snow, the drainage action gets fouled up. I wear nitrile gloves when cleaning gutters, I don't like slime on my hands. But they don't give much protection against cold and leather gloves don't work well with wet debris in the gutters. After 40 minutes, my fingers were nearly numb. But the real pain came when I went back inside and thawed them out. That was serious pain for about 15 minutes.

The above story is why I don't attempt shooting in snow or serious cold anymore. In a Winter, outdoor survival situation, I wouldn't last long.

The last time I went to the woods when snow was a factor, I was smart enough to turn around and go back before I got my vehicle stuck. Which would've been a certainty considering that I hadn't yet gotten to the difficult part of the road.

I've tried that before. One time, I used a nice, oiled OD canvas duck ground sheet. I was shooting prone, and the gas from my semi auto rifles got impregnated into the fabric. I won't say it ruined it, but it will never be the same. Then another time, I used one of the typical made in China plastic tarps, the hot .223 brass melted holes in it. That one truly was ruined.
People often ask me why my winch is mounted on the rear of my Jeep.

I have to explain that if I need a winch to get there, I'm not going. The winch is to get me out of places I should have never attempted to go. :)

Long Range Target shooting in the woods is very fun & relaxing for me. It's a Zen thing.

The snow makes it difficult or impossible to reach my favorite shooting sights.
That makes me sad.

I read that the forestry department has already begun locking gates also, because of "dangerous road conditions", Uh-Ha.

This is sad because I really need to have a break from things like 114.

View attachment 1322863 View attachment 1322865 View attachment 1322866 View attachment 1322867
That looks a lot like Nofo Road in Tillamook.

Winter is some of the best times to go.

Then again I'm more of a rum fire guy so my go to is TCGC silhouette range. They have wood burning fire stoves!

Costco has electronic gloves and socks right now. They also make electronic jackets now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top