JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cover:
I would suggest bringing a canopy if you can AND some smaller tarps and cordage to bridge between different canopies. You can really increase your covered dry area that way. An extra tarp can also be used to make a back or side wall if it's raining sideways or breezy. Helpful for when you're taking a break. Comfortable folding chair for breaks too.

Clothes:
Brimmed hat, rain jacket, high waist rain pants, fingerless gloves or shooters gloves. Frog Toggs or the like would be best for rain gear. You'll NEED elbow pads too so they need to fit over or under the rain jacket. Good LOOSE warm layers underneath. You need to be able to stretch and change positions. Wool/poly pro/fleece. Assume you'll get wet (either sweat or rain) and you need layers to keep you warm regardless. I've got a Seattle Sombrero that works with behind the head ear muffs or ear plugs and it is great in the rain! Extra dry layers to change into or to layer. Good waterproofish boots with warm socks.

Not sure how well a poncho would work in the Appleseed scenarios. I think not well at all. Too many position and magazine changes. Also, you'd be laying on the poncho trying to get your rifle out and then you'd be laying directly on the wet or cold ground. Good to have for other things but probably not for the shooting line.

Ground cover:
Heavy pad (carpet remnant, shooters mat, foam sleeping pad etc) and tarp (or two). You'll be laying down a lot and will need something comfy.

Rifle:
A cover of some type when you're not shooting or clearing the line. Well cleaned and prepped. .

Food:
Thermos or two of hot tea or other drink. Maybe a thermos of warm soup for lunch if it's cold.

Of course bring extra clothes in lighter layers as well. I went to an Appleseed in Eastern Washington and brought good cold weather clothes. Then it was 70 degrees and sunny and I baked! Be prepared for both cold and warmish just in case.

Have a blast! I'm very envious of you going. I really wanted to go but couldn't fit it in with my schedule.

Another suggestion for rain gear are motorcycle shops. The more inexpensive jackets and pants are actually pretty good. They're designed to be worn over other heavy clothes so they won't bind as much when you're getting into shooting positions.

A native Oregonian, I moved away for a number of years, then finally came back to be near the rest of my family. No one can say I didn't know what kind of weather to expect when I returned.

Rain or shine, I lift my shotgun to aim at clay pigeons only after they're flying - sort of like real life (since I don't now any hunters who walk around with the weapon shouldered). "Reactive" shooting like that in a big hurry on a cold, rainy day can be brutal on bare freezing fingers. Not that I wouldn't go in the dead of winter - I do. It can just be just a real attention-getter after a few rushed shots.

I always chuckle a bit when I shoot in the summer with certain buddies who all wear "shooting gloves" of some sort. These are serious expert shooters, sort of "tactically inclined" guys with lots of exotic NFA weps. Suddenly I'm thinking it might make sense to find out what they're using and maybe get a pair of my own.

It's sad to say, but I really love a day of hard, cold and wet work, then coming back in the house to get all warmed up again. I've lived here all my life and it's just a part of what you have to do to live in the PNW. If we let rain chase us away we'd never get anything done.

I used to enjoy that more when I was much younger than my 66 yrs now! Of course I got paid to do it back then too.

I agree with Dan on the poly. It is far more important to be warm than dry. Trying to find a high quality rain gear that will still allow you to get into a proper shooting position with 3-4 days notice could be tough. Your best bet is to find a lightweight micro fleece top and bottom like the "Hot Chili" brand and then layer up until your comfortable. You should also try Polypropylene sock liners under the wool socks. The Polypropylene wicks moisture away and really helps to keep you warm. A poncho could be helpful keeping a chair and backpack dry when not in use.

I don't shoot much in the rain but I do hike, ski, snowshoe, alpine climb, and run in the rain. That being said the most important kind of clothing to me is:

A waterproof windbreaker like: Mountain Hardwear | Men's Jackets, Mountaineering Coats & Ski Parkas

waterproof pants, these don't need to be so special

Wool everything else. (shirt, socks, base-layer pants) I prefer Marino wool from NZ because it's not scratchy and does not hold smells. <broken link removed>

Really the ability of wool to not smell like sh*t after a hike or week backpacking is critical to me, also it wicks water and drys really fast!

The only thing I would add to this discussion is- long underwear. It may not seem cold enough to warrant heavy duty thermals, but as you already know, you do a helluva lot of standing around at Appleseed.

The German ponchos are made for combat. They have handy snaps at your wrists so your hands are out and free for use. They are literally waterproof. Most rainsuits (I'm a biker and have a lot of riding gear) will make you so soggy from sweat you'll regret wearing them. You won't be just sitting on a bike, you'll be working

Rainpants? Maybe but they just make me more soggy. Gore Tex lined boots? Yeah

I would definitely bring several pairs of wool glove inserts and try them out

I know, cheap rain stuff makes you wetter inside the suit from sweat than on the outside from rain. That's why it's breathable or no-go. I've experienced the joys of cheap stuff in a summer job and was happy when they upgraded me to a breathing suit.

I tend to sweat freely (I'm a polar bear, Scot Highlander and Viking DNA, the frozen chosen) and Gore Tex does not breathe even close enough for me. I have civvy and mil spec Gore Tex suits so I speak from experience. Any real work I do is with one of those ponchos, and yes to wool sweater and undies, socks and gloves. Have spares on hand

This weekend I'll be shooting an Appleseed in Ariel WA, which I'm looking forward to. Last year I did my first and the weather was great, although there was a biting cold wind. This weekend there's a prediction of rain. Of course that can change, but to be prepared a bit, what would you guys advise in general for shooting outside in rainy weather. Appleseed-specific advice is also welcome.

I was advised to bring a canopy if I have one, but of course there'll be more to keep in mind. A few ziplock bags to cover the muzzle? Some plastic to cover the rest of the rifle? Any tips are welcome!

(Yes, as you can tell I have a dry office job and have never been hunting :))

PROTIP: Get a speed loader and have at least 6 mags.

I did a winterseed that turned into a mud and rain fest. It was a lot of fun. Some suggestions I learned "the hard way".

1. Get some rain pants and a GOOD rain jacket
2. Get a blue tarp, and use a waterproof shooting mat. Or, just lay on the tarp. You'll get cold and wet regardless.
3. For down time, but a condom over the muzzle of your rifle. There's other stuff, but condoms are quick, easy, cheap, and will protect your rifle from VD.
4. Handwarmers.
5. Have a couple changes of socks and at least another pair of pants. NO COTTON/DENIM
6. Good wide brim hat.
7. Wash your rifle well at night
8. Finger gloves
9. If you have a leather sling, clean and oil it at night.

That's should do ya. Have fun, shoot a lot.

I know, cheap rain stuff makes you wetter inside the suit from sweat than on the outside from rain. That's why it's breathable or no-go. I've experienced the joys of cheap stuff in a summer job and was happy when they upgraded me to a breathing suit.

I know they are hard to find anymore, but if you can find a place that caters to loggers you will find the best of the best raingear designed to work, while you work, in the weather.

As for pants, I prefer wool underwear and "tin" pants (waxed duck). Wear like iron,do not absorb water, and the wool underwear keeps you warm, not hot. Shirt should be wool too. Wool is still warm even when it is wet.

I know they are more difficult to find these days, but try find a place that caters to Loggers. They will have what is needed to work in bad weather.

Myself, for pants I would be looking for "Tin Pants". they are waxed duck, wear like iron and do not absorb water, wear wool longjohns under the Tin pants and you will be comfortable all day.

PROTIP: Get a speed loader and have at least 6 mags.

I did a winterseed that turned into a mud and rain fest. It was a lot of fun. Some suggestions I learned "the hard way".

1. Get some rain pants and a GOOD rain jacket
2. Get a blue tarp, and use a waterproof shooting mat. Or, just lay on the tarp. You'll get cold and wet regardless.
3. For down time, but a condom over the muzzle of your rifle. There's other stuff, but condoms are quick, easy, cheap, and will protect your rifle from VD.
4. Handwarmers.
5. Have a couple changes of socks and at least another pair of pants. NO COTTON/DENIM
6. Good wide brim hat.
7. Wash your rifle well at night
8. Finger gloves
9. If you have a leather sling, clean and oil it at night.

That's should do ya. Have fun, shoot a lot.

Thanks, it'll be my second time. Already have the tarp and I'm getting a waterproof(-ish probably) bag/shooting mat, so that's covered. I'll bring something to cover the muzzle. Fortunately the boots I have are waterproof Columbia's and my feet are quite warm/hot already. I did order some merino wool long johns and an under shirt and I do have thin fitted gloves which I already modified to be able to take the tip off the trigger finger.

I'm in doubt between the leather and cotton sling, both have their pros and cons. I'll decide soon while doing my dry practice. The hat I will definitely get. :)

So now only the pants and jacket. I'm going to do some shopping this week as I really have no good outdoors stuff. The 'tin pants' hermannr recommends look interesting, I hope to be able to check them out locally. Otherwise I'll probably look into some rain pants of some sort. Or something "tacticool". :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top