JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This weekend I'll be shooting an Appleseed in Ariel WA, which I'm looking forward to. Last year I did my first and the weather was great, although there was a biting cold wind. This weekend there's a prediction of rain. Of course that can change, but to be prepared a bit, what would you guys advise in general for shooting outside in rainy weather. Appleseed-specific advice is also welcome.

I was advised to bring a canopy if I have one, but of course there'll be more to keep in mind. A few ziplock bags to cover the muzzle? Some plastic to cover the rest of the rifle? Any tips are welcome!

(Yes, as you can tell I have a dry office job and have never been hunting :))

Of course we all like to keep our guns clean and dry but if your gun can not handle a bit of weather how do you plan on using it in the "call to arms" role that Appleseed touches on?

A day spent on the front of my ATV is worse on a gun then a day in the weather. Last year after one of our rides my AR was so dirty I left it in the ATV rack while I washed it. I used water, soap and a scrub bush on everything. of course afterward I stripped the rifle down and cleaned/oiled it properly.......

Frankly I would just get in the mindset that you're going to be wet. Look at it like part of the training. Get up in the morning, put a nice soup in the crock pot. Go to the event, get soaked and have a great time. Drive home, crank up the heat or throw some fresh wood on the fire. Disassemble and dry rifle and take a hot shower. When done sit down with a good book/TV show and enjoy a hot bowl of soup.

It's sad to say, but I really love a day of hard, cold and wet work, then coming back in the house to get all warmed up again. I've lived here all my life and it's just a part of what you have to do to live in the PNW. If we let rain chase us away we'd never get anything done.

A canopy is helpful if you're going to be prone for a long time in the rain. But they are a PIA if its windy. I've shot from a mountain tent in really crap weather.

I like the relatively cheap gen 2 ECWCS pants and a good parka. Plus knee and elbow pads if its rocky.

A shooting mat and a tarp are nice too.

If you're shooting with optics this may be the biggest challenge. I bring lens wipes and a microfiber towel when I'm shooting in rain or snow. And spare glasses.

The gun: if it can't handle a day or ten in the rain, I don't want it.

Good luck! That rifleman patch will look great on your shooting bag.

You may have to do some google footwork because they are getting scarce.. but these are the best thing going.. two snap together to make a tube tent. Also have something dry to sit/lay on, like a drag bag. CTD has good cheap padded drag bags

<broken link removed>

Thanks all for the recommendations! I'm not scared of the rain, but I want to avoid getting soaked the first 20 minutes and then suffer for another 8 hours or so. :)

That LifeGrains poncho looks good Blitzkrieg, thanks. Looks indeed hard to find.

Thanks mosin for the Frogg Toggs pointer, that looks like decent priced rain gear. Back in college in Holland I had a summer job working on a garbage truck, and first year with rain they gave me the cheapest plasticky rain suit. Sure it kept the rain out, but the workout behind the truck loading containers made sure there was enough sweat to keep me soaked inside too. A breathing rain suit works best I found. I'll check out REI too, I believe there's one close by.

I like the canopy idea better than a tarp over me (even a poncho would be a lot better :)), especially since Appleseed is a lot of changing positions too. Of course I'll have the shooting mat as well.

If the range isn't covered, take along one of those pop-up canopies. We lashed together a row of them at an Appleseed I attended about 5 years ago. Those and tarps on the ground kept most of us if not dry at least not soaked.

Keith

Botte, I have used those German ponchos in the NW rain and wet for 20 + years, including logging and firewood cutting. Great kit and they let you air out underneath, unlike ECWCS Gore Tex. US nylon ponchos are a joke by comparison

Stay away from cotton clothes - jeans, hoodie, jacket, etc!! Once wet or even damp they rob more heat than they generate and will not dry - heck half the time they're still damp when pulled out of the drier!! Wear wool socks, wear nylon or poly/cotton pants/BDUs, wool or poly long johns, and stay away from anything cotton.

The one thing cotton is good for (other than being extremely inexpensive and overly abundant) is it absorbs and holds moisture, dampness, dew, fog, and rain! And it is extremely difficult for it to displace it or dry. We're acclimated to it; but our friends from the south when they visit for a weekend - the first thing they notice when crawling under cotton sheets is "the sheets here are damp and cold" - yup!

If you don't have any then go to the Goodwill and buy some oversized wool shirts or fleece shirts/pullovers. You can buy fleece shirts, pullovers, and jackets by the armfuls for just a few bucks. Wool socks are very affordable at target, wally world etc. Wool, nylon or fleece clothes at Goodwill are cheap and plentiful. BDUs or similar nylon or poly/cotton blends can be found as well. 60/40 poly to cotton blend min. Higher is better.

Even if you get wet you'll stay warm and could nearly or completely dry out from body heat!! I get wet all the time and my nylon BDUs are often dry within 30-45 mins after the rain stops. Cotton Jeans only wick the moisture up from the leg to the butt and weigh a ton and will make you miserable!!!

Having a good shell is important but having proper non-cotton layering under the shell is critical!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top