JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys! It looks like they are planning to ban shooting in the Greenwater area of Snoqualmie forest. Its really sad as this is one of the few reaming areas in western washington where one can legally shoot. I grew up going out there with the family. I am sadden that this is closing because of the trash and unhappy seattle folks. but their is hope that we can prevent it! Please if you can try to go to the meeting at the ranger station in Enumclaw on Tuesday August 4, 2015 from 6:30-7:30 pm.
Source:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...tional-shooting-in-snoqualmie-ranger-district

The U.S. Forest Service has scheduled a second meeting to discuss recreational shooting in the Snoqualmie Ranger District of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, specifically recreational shooting that takes place along the Highway 410 corridor. The intent of the meeting is to have a general discussion about what is happening with respect to recreational shooting along the corridor, particularly problems with unsafe shooting practices and pressures that the Forest is receiving to close the corridor.

The Forest Service is hoping that the upcoming meeting will encourage shooters to assist them in keeping the Snoqualmie Ranger District open to shooting through clean up events and the promotion of safe shooting practices.

The meeting details are as follows:

Tuesday August 4, 2015 from 6:30-7:30 pm

Department of Natural Resources Building

950 Farman Ave

Enumclaw, WA 98022

Only two individuals who support recreational shooting attended the meeting held May 21. During that meeting, the action items listed below were discussed and they will be on the table at the upcoming August 4 meeting.

• Calendar of quarterly/semi-regular pit cleanup events
  • Notice of posted signs, and a regular check on them to make sure they are still standing
  • Hard closures of unsafe shooting areas, such as the ridge areas overlooking CRR. Draw more attention to the main pits, with safe backstops.
  • Implementation of safety awareness material to the general public (e.g. online videos, etc.)
  • Implementation of a volunteer "eyes/ears on the ground" program to report dangerous activities. Maybe set up an email address to receive these, with some sort of a template form. Asking for data like, photos, license plate numbers, etc.
Meeting attendees can contact Martie Schramm, District Ranger, for more information either by emailat[email protected] or by phone (425) 888-8751.

Keeping the Snoqualmie Ranger District open to recreational shooting is dependent upon shooters engaging with the Forest Service to solve problems associated with recreational shooting. If you recreationally shoot in this District , the NRA strongly encourages you to attend the meeting and offer support in keeping the corridor open to safe shooting.

ilaLogoFooter.jpg
FOLLOW NRA-ILA
facebook_footer.jpg twitter_footer.jpg youtube_footer.jpg instagram_footer.jpg
© 2015 National Rifle Association of America, Institute For Legislative Action. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683. Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030.
Thank you!

How can they ( the government) legally close any portion of federal forest from anyone group? I understand the garbage, unsafe shooting,ect. I clean the spot I shoot every time I go. But my point is it's like a school they can't ban one group verses another without banning all groups. Plus it's not the governments land it's OUR land.
I'm not trying to be contentious, I seriously don't understand who gave them the authority.
Is this just another government overreach?
It's also very sad only 2 people supporting shooting showed up at the last meeting. ( I don't live even remotely close or I'd go myself )
Stacy

If they do that, we need to petition for a public range. They cannot keep banning shooting areas for the 99% of responsible shooters.
Private ranges are usually far away, costly and get crowded.
Why cant there be dedicated shooting areas?
(As well as public land shooting areas)
Typical knee jerk reaction to a small isolated incident started by idiots.. Yet us safe shooters get punished.

My sympathys and best wishes, it is also starting to go that way down here!
Going to be a hard row to hoe, with idiots blasting away at propane cylinders in a tinder dry forrest! o_O

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...tional-shooting-in-snoqualmie-ranger-district

The U.S. Forest Service has scheduled a second meeting to discuss recreational shooting in the Snoqualmie Ranger District of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, specifically recreational shooting that takes place along the Highway 410 corridor. The intent of the meeting is to have a general discussion about what is happening with respect to recreational shooting along the corridor, particularly problems with unsafe shooting practices and pressures that the Forest is receiving to close the corridor.

The Forest Service is hoping that the upcoming meeting will encourage shooters to assist them in keeping the Snoqualmie Ranger District open to shooting through clean up events and the promotion of safe shooting practices.

The meeting details are as follows:

Tuesday August 4, 2015 from 6:30-7:30 pm

Department of Natural Resources Building

950 Farman Ave

Enumclaw, WA 98022

Only two individuals who support recreational shooting attended the meeting held May 21. During that meeting, the action items listed below were discussed and they will be on the table at the upcoming August 4 meeting.

• Notice of posted signs, and a regular check on them to make sure they are still standing
  • Hard closures of unsafe shooting areas, such as the ridge areas overlooking CRR. Draw more attention to the main pits, with safe backstops.
  • Implementation of safety awareness material to the general public (e.g. online videos, etc.)
  • Implementation of a volunteer "eyes/ears on the ground" program to report dangerous activities. Maybe set up an email address to receive these, with some sort of a template form. Asking for data like, photos, license plate numbers, etc.
Meeting attendees can contact Martie Schramm, District Ranger, for more information either by emailat[email protected] or by phone (425) 888-8751.

Keeping the Snoqualmie Ranger District open to recreational shooting is dependent upon shooters engaging with the Forest Service to solve problems associated with recreational shooting.

If you recreationally shoot in this District , the NRA strongly encourages you to attend the meeting and offer support in keeping the corridor open to safe shooting.

I was in contact with Tracy O'Toole, Public Affairs Officer for Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, a little over a month ago, about the Mt Hood USFS video about partnering with USFS and had inquired about our Mt Hood Target Shooter Information Program. I mentioned we would be willing to do this program up there if we could get the volunteers to operate it. USFS could provide most all of the booth set up equipment if we only had a few dedicated folks to chip in and operate the program.

I really don't believe they want to shut down recreational sport shooting. I've seen more of their willingness, and desire, to work with an interested organization to help keep it open. But no one shows an interest in getting their boots on the ground and addressing the problems, so, what are they to do?

If we have someone in that area willing to work with them, others will join in. You'd be surprise at the community support you'll get from local sporting goods stores, Law Enforcement and other outdoor recreational groups. They all want to see a change as well.

This is a great opportunity to help save sport shooting on public land, as well as, help our national forests.

Bill

Last Edited:
Taking a closer look at their topics for the next meeting... Really, they are not asking for a whole lot. What they really are asking for, is that they would like an organization to get involved and help them do things to curtail the trash, resource damage and bad behavior. Partnering with them gives us a bit of say when it comes to decision making time.

will be on the table at the upcoming August 4 meeting.

• Quarterly/semi- regular cleanups... Every 3 months could work if there are enough committed volunteers, however, they should be at different locations each time and have some good incentives to attract volunteers. Wouldn't want to try re-cleaning the same place in only 3 months. Twice a year for a same place would be reasonable. The more often you do cleanups, the fewer people volunteer. Don't want to over tax the same people. Most fun about clean ups is the opportunity to shoot together as a group after the clean up! Show off your guns time with like minded new friends!
  • Post signs and check... Good idea. Not a lot of effort needed, nor the need for a large volunteer base.
  • Hard closures... Hard closures are expected. We may even recommend some. There are places that are obviously unsafe and should be closed. Not a problem. Suggest that they update their closure map when they make the closures. Would be best if they would plan a year in advance and hold meeting prior to final decisions.
  • Draw more attention to main pits... Would they be willing to do a little bulldozing, drop a load or two of dirt? To make an area more attractive and encouraging to shooters, they may want to consider some options to enhance the location. Who better to make those recommendations than NWFA members!
  • Implementation of safety awareness... That's us! Target Shooter Information Program. Safety, Rules, Ethics and Tips communicated one-on-one from gun owner to gun owner. Target shooters will listen to us because we are one of them and we support them. We are there to encourage them to help save our shooting rights and they understand that. We just need a couple folks to head it up in that area. Volunteers help will follow.
  • "Eyes/ears on the ground"... Sounds like they don't have a formal plan for this yet. Would be great to offer help putting this into action. It involves a couple people to ride together, being aware, taking a few notes & pics and enjoying a day in the woods. Might want to arrange for 2 way communication to Law Enforcement. I'm sure they would have a training class prior to any volunteering for this. Who knows what you'll find?
Give these points some thought and go prepared! Thanks for you help. Now, go save our rights!

I am probably 40 minutes from the Greenwater pit. I would commit to being a regular volunteer or what ever kind of worker bee I could be. I dont have the time to be an organizer or point person though. I have trucks and trailers I could commit too.

people go on public land because there aren't any alternatives.

setting up designated official / managed shooting ranges will solve a lot of those problems.

there is precedent for this, look at TCSA. it brings business and prestige to the area when they host competitive events.

turn wenas or some designated area into a managed range. clear the vegetation so there's no risk of fire, and build up berms.

it would cost a lot less than fighting the fires that WILL happen when shooters are pushed further out and not given an outlet for recreational shooting.

as for awareness... how about videos/pamphlets at gun shows?

discounted WDFW/DNR or NFS/BLM passes for passing a recreational shooting safety test?

more prominent visible prosecution of those who start fires / shoot unsafely. most people dont know about it.

partnering with local shops. cabelas outpost in yakima, ace hardware in naches, etc.

For those of us who cannot attend the meeting, perhaps we can send an email to Martie Schramm, District Ranger, [email protected] . It would let them know there are more of us out here who are concerned, have an interest in what they do and are willing to help in some way, even it it's just help spreading the message. I'll work on mine this evening.

What is NRA's effort in this? Are they actively involved in it or just reporting it? Would be good to hear what they are doing.

...setting up designated official / managed shooting ranges will solve a lot of those problems..
An official/managed range, even though it may be free to the public, would be a tough one to take on. USFS would not do it because of liability issues, construction and operating costs. If they were to consider this idea, they would look more toward leasing land to an organization to run it. That alone takes a huge investment, effort and man power.

Would be easier to simply send a bulldozer out to clear a good area, berm it up sides and back, drop a few cones of dirt piles and walk away from it. Shooters would love to find a place like that. It would be an easy 'rake-up' clean up area. They could do this in several locations in the forest. I think it would attract people there, rather than pits or in a stand of trees. Would even help to be safer. Also less risk of fires.

yeah I wasn't recommending USFS run it. I was recommending USFS give someone an opportunity to set one up.

TCSA did this and are very successful as far as I know.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top