JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the other thing that struck me as a little bit 'odd' about this story is that the homeowner was armed at all. I don't carry so maybe I just don't 'get it' but it seems to me that on a rural plot like that way set back from the road and private, in a nice place like gig harbor, it just seems weird that a guy would be carrying the weight while working in the barn. Who knows maybe he just got home from town himself or something but it just seems kinda strange to be carrying in that circumstance. Do most of you guys that Carry put the gun on with your socks in the morning and put it in the side table when you go to sleep at night?

I can see you've never lived in a rural area in this era. I not only carry a full size major caliber pistol and reloads but a semi auto centerfire rifle is always handy when I am out on our land (soon to be home)

When at home in town I always have a pistol within reach (G22 right now) and a 12 GA Mossberg 500 is behind my bedroom door. I've seen the beast and can never go back

1) Rural = long police response time.
2) Coyote don't wait untill you run inside first
3) Neither do cougar or in some areas; bears.

I have myself armed every time I set foot out the door. We had a coyote running around the "neighborhood" earlier this year that was aggressive enough to try and snap at an older lady around here. Cases like that make it a better to have than to want scenario.

City folk also don't run into large~body~mass wild dog packs.. I've seen them and they leave spoor all around. they will kill any weak looking prey

City folk also don't run into large~body~mass wild dog packs.. I've seen them and they leave spoor all around. they will kill any weak looking prey

+100

Even worse are the dog/coyote hybrids. I have a friend with scars from one and numerous others that have had very close calls with them. Two unloaded their 30 round mags (total of 60 rounds) taking down a pack that just went crazy amongst the cattle and had to beat the last few off with the rifle stocks while dodging panicked cows (huge vet bill, but none of the cows died). Something about the crossbreeding does something funny to their brains and they get real volatile. Saw one last spring around my parents place (which isn't exactly rural) and I thought it was a timber wolf for a moment. It was huge! I thought those I had known to have run-ins with them were exaggerating till I saw that sucker. I would not want to tangle with a pack of those at all, and if I had to, would want several spare magazines.

RoneKiln, I'm wondering if that's what I've seen out here. I was traveling down Key hwy early one morning and saw several feeding on something in the road. When I got close enough to scatter them, they looked huge. Have seen wolves in Montana, and these were similar size.

RoneKiln, I'm wondering if that's what I've seen out here. I was traveling down Key hwy early one morning and saw several feeding on something in the road. When I got close enough to scatter them, they looked huge. Have seen wolves in Montana, and these were similar size.

Chances are real good that is exactly what you saw. I drop them as soon as I spot 'em.

Anti gun DA and all bets are off. DA wants of be Fearless leader and all bets are off. And forget the Wrongful death lawsuit. The carreer crimenal has a family who thinks that he is just wonderfull and you are the *** who killed him.
Shoot and bury in the garden what you find laying around dead.

Scary story RoneKiln. Note that a Canadian girl, aspiring young singer, was killed by a pair of yotes a few years ago.. I can only imagine upsized hybrids with messed up DNA, which often is the result of hybridization

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

I suspect that a lot of incidents we're hearing about with coyotes are really mixed breeds. I don't think anyone tries to clarify in their reports or to the media if a 'yote looked purebred or not. Not even sure if they can easily test for that or would consider it of any value to test it. Either way, I don't go hiking unarmed. It used to be even if they were starving you could put a round into the ground and they'd scatter at the sound. Now it sounds like the sound of gunfire and cars doesn't scare them off anymore. Might be I've just heard of a few very unusual incidents and now I'm over paranoid, but better than risking half a pack avenging the handful I gunned down before a single mag ran dry.

I live in Gig Harbor, and will reemphasize what others have said. I live in a real neighborhood, with close neighbors (1/3-1 acre plots) and we see plenty of wildlife. Plenty of areas refered to as "Gig Harbor" are much more rural that where I live. Plenty to be concerned about: dogs, racoons, coyotes, and yes, cougar and bear. Had a bear a few blocks from my house last year on a trail we walk occasionally.

Add on top of that the fact that criminals go to places with good stuff to steal, and it really does give reason to carry whenever possible. If nothing else, this story explains all the reason one could need in a nutshell. You never know when some crazy guy will show up and charge your family.

I suspect that a lot of incidents we're hearing about with coyotes are really mixed breeds. I don't think anyone tries to clarify in their reports or to the media if a 'yote looked purebred or not. Not even sure if they can easily test for that or would consider it of any value to test it. Either way, I don't go hiking unarmed. It used to be even if they were starving you could put a round into the ground and they'd scatter at the sound. Now it sounds like the sound of gunfire and cars doesn't scare them off anymore. Might be I've just heard of a few very unusual incidents and now I'm over paranoid, but better than risking half a pack avenging the handful I gunned down before a single mag ran dry.

Even though it was way out in a Canuck park I suppose any type of hybrid could be out there from multiple dumped domestic dog litters, which is what I need to deal with out at our place once we get moved in.. night vision and predator calling time

Speaking of hiking a man was killed by a mountain goat on the Olympic Peninsula a few years ago, so it's not just canines and big kitties and the occasional bear

Thanks for the comments guys. I honestly hadn't thought of Coyotes, and I guess given that a pack of the damned things went after a 6' dude in CO a while ago I'd definitely think about it. All valid points about response times etc.

salmonriverjohn said:
Someone makes a break into my home and any of my kids or wife are there I'll most likely not need to shoot, they will have already taken care of it.

Which sort of goes to the point I think I was making... The 'castle' seems like the defensive point, But I also don't think he should ever have to let it get that far. So yeah, seems like a good shoot with the info we have now. One things for sure, this incident has definitely changed a few ideas I had about carrying in general and Gig Harbor/Rural living :)

I love the fact that he wants to sue. I bet Holder will prosecute the homeowner for a hate crime because the "victim" was black.

But I can see it now:

Judge- why do you feel that you were wrongly shot?

Dude- well, when the guy told me not to go into his house, and then I broke in and was heading towards his family, he shot me.

Judge- and you think that was wrong of him?

Dude- well, yeah, I mean, I thought I saw something, and I was just in the wrong state of mind (aka on drugs), so like, he should have known that I was just messed up in the head at the moment and therefore I didn't pose any danger to him or his family...

Judge- you sir, and I use that term loosly, are a moron. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Or do I give him to much credit to think that he would use the word "therefore"? I didn't get a real good feel for his level of intelligence between all of the sniffing he was doing while trying to figure out where he was going to get his next line to snort after he got out of the hospital.

I love the fact that he wants to sue. I bet Holder will prosecute the homeowner for a hate crime because the "victim" was black.

But I can see it now:

Judge- why do you feel that you were wrongly shot?

Dude- well, when the guy told me not to go into his house, and then I broke in and was heading towards his family, he shot me.

Judge- and you think that was wrong of him?

Dude- well, yeah, I mean, I thought I saw something, and I was just in the wrong state of mind (aka on drugs), so like, he should have known that I was just messed up in the head at the moment and therefore I didn't pose any danger to him or his family...

Judge- you sir, and I use that term loosly, are a moron. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wait, someone shot Billy Madison?!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads