JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slow down turbo. Sounds like you are trying to ha e her go lightspeed before she's ready.

I'd be more focused (as others have said) on all the safety components of handing firearms, and of course, keeping her enjoying the activity or her CPL won't mean a darn thing if she doesn't want to carry and practice. Then accuracy of fire, then speed. Notice I put speed last.

Speed comes with accuracy and proficiency.

Unless she can already hit what she is aiming at reliably without difficulty, ignore the time and focus on hitting a 8 inch pie plate as far as 7 yards until it is boringly easy. Then introduce a time constraint.

Contrary to popular belief, the speed of a draw has nothing to do with hitting a target. It's what the shooter does after the draw that causes the accurate fire. Practicing the draw can be done hundreds of times with the unloaded gun to make it smooth before needing to worry about drawing and firing.

Motivation goes a long way. If you want her to achieve X goal in her shooting skills, you'll need to take a step back and think about what will keep her motivated to do that. A lot of husbands fall into the trap of approaching this wrong, making it not fun for the wife and then it goes up in smoke.

When I taught my fiancé, I focused on keeping every range / gun activity safe and fun. Now she tells me "we haven't gone to

That is my biggest thing, making it fun. I have fun shooting the smallest group that I can and also speed up and practice going fast with my shot timer. But she might not find those things fun. I usually have her attention for about half an hour or 45 minutes before she is "done" with shooting. I don't know of any ways to have fun that someone who doesn't like just shooting would find fun. She is already a good shooter when she takes her time. She is able to keep up with me out to 20 yards on steel with her M&P shield! So that's why I am trying to get her to speed up now.

That is my biggest thing, making it fun. I have fun shooting the smallest group that I can and also speed up and practice going fast with my shot timer. But she might not find those things fun. I usually have her attention for about half an hour or 45 minutes before she is "done" with shooting. I don't know of any ways to have fun that someone who doesn't like just shooting would find fun. She is already a good shooter when she takes her time. She is able to keep up with me out to 20 yards on steel with her M&P shield! So that's why I am trying to get her to speed up now.

Tri-County has a woman's league. They practice all kinds of stuff. Maybe @NWGlockgal can offer up tips or drills that they find fun.

Tri-County has a woman's league. They practice all kinds of stuff. Maybe @NWGlockgal can offer up tips or drills that they find fun.

Better yet, she should come and join Ladies League. Should be starting up in April. Last two years it changed to no instruction to setting up competition stages and running those. A new person is taking it over this year so I'm not sure what the emphasis is.
And no offense to the OP, but a husband or BF should never be the one to teach their significant other. It's much better to have a neutral third party. So sign both of you up for some classes :)

Better yet, she should come and join Ladies League. Should be starting up in April. Last two years it changed to no instruction to setting up competition stages and running those. A new person is taking it over this year so I'm not sure what the emphasis is.
And no offense to the OP, but a husband or BF should never be the one to teach their significant other. It's much better to have a neutral third party. So sign both of you up for some classes :)
I generally agree with that as male ego tends to get in the way. Depends on the individual though. Outside training is always a great option.

Sweet! We use silhouettes and a shot timer. Accuracy is always most important, but then we start adding a time constraint for X shots on target in Y time.

Could be from draw, could be from low ready, could involve multiple targets staggered, could involve a reload, could involve a snap cap "dud," could involve movement from point a to b while engaging targets, could be one handed, could be off handed and one handed.

Imagination provides almost endless possibilities.

The length of time is key as you said, mine is good for 30-45 before it turns into work.

The Dot Torture drill. Easy to learn, hard to master! lol
pistol-training.com » Dot Torture

IMO it would be difficult for someone with poor eyesight.. just me $0.02

A class is definitely going to happen. I want us to both take a class as I have never had official firearms training so I think it would be valuable to both of us

I would not take a class together so that your wife will feel more comfortable and paying attention to the instruction, not to what's going on with you.

Speed for self defense comes with shooting more self defense type drills. IMO it's not much good to shoot anything else if the goal is to become SD proficient. Take the classes, join a group that shoots those kind of drills. If setting up drills on your own, find some action drills online or ask the discipline you join if they could print some drills off for you. If you can afford it, get some torso/IDPA/USPSA type targets. That will ingraine the idea that we are not shooting at bullseyes/bottles/pins/plates when shooting for self defense. It's the mindset that needs to be trained.

And no offense to the OP, but a husband or BF should never be the one to teach their significant other. It's much better to have a neutral third party.:)

Yes!!!!! Men tend to be dominant (even when we're trying not to be) and sometimes the spouse will start to reject the male, even to the point of quitting. Too, familiarity breeds contempt, so to speak. I know my wife gets tired of listening to my schtick. She's heard it all before. And, men tend to want to show off their expertise, whereas teachers just want to help. When my wife got into skiing, I was smart enough to have her take lessons... it paid off in happy wife.

-break-

Lastly, if doing your own SD drills, be sure to get some practice instinctive shooting at different distances, nothing too far, if she has poor vision, that should work out better for her than trying to find the sights. Shooting SD at 7yds can be done by looking along the top of the barrel to line up on a torso sized target... it speeds things up when you don't need the sights. Also shoot at 3yds by pointing the hands and breaking the shot (draw, lift, extend, trigger... don't think about it, just do it), and at 2 feet by draw and hip shoot. If nothing else, she can stick the weapon in the BGs ear!;)

Muzzle rise control is especially important with a Shield, ride the muzzle for double and triple taps. Learn to control recoil by either Isocyles (sp) or Weaver grip/stance techniques. Exercise those muscles needed because it's not just hanging on to the pistol, it's control for multiple shots. Make sure that the one shot is all that's needed thinking is not there.

Best wishes for success!!!

bb

Last Edited:
Being overly safe is a good thing. Again having a female instructor and talking to someone that has gone through the same things as a female would be my advice.

There's an Oregon Chapter of The Well-Armed Woman (TWAW). I've taken lessons from both male and female, but I was able to form a camaraderie with the women in the group and have thoroughly enjoyed it - and have learned so much! I know 2 of our NRA instructors are married and enjoy the same interest with their husbands as well.

I had firearms years ago but just last year started out with a basic handgun class, took an Intermediate class where I was able to try different handguns, applied for my concealed carry, then went to purchase a firearm. I took one on one classes from one of the instructors at Threat Dynamics, and am now a happy chapter member of TWAW. (They have videos on You Tube if she wants to check it out first).

I think it's a matter of personal preference, but I needed information I wasn't able to get from a man. I'm widowed and don't have a partner to shoot with but it's a great sport to be able to share with someone. Have her start out with the basics and get comfortable and familiar with her firearm first. No matter where or who you decide to go with, get her one-on-one lessons with an NRA certified instructor; believe me, it's worth it and the safest way to go.

Have to give credit to my nephew who helped sparked my interest in exploring the world of self-defense and concealed carry. While self-defense was my primary reason for getting a firearm, I really enjoy my range time and am considering buying a rifle as my next venture.

Good luck!!!

How is she going to carry?
If off body - that is in a diaperbag, purse or similar, there are defend the gun techniques she needs to master.
No longer can she slip the strap over a chair. Loose your wallet, one thing. Loose your phone, another. Loose a gun ... Before if some one grabbed the bag, you might advise letting it go. With a gun inside ?

Start with situational awareness.

One thing with off body, is can she operate the gun from its concealment? If the gun is in its own pocket, and she can get her hand on it, and manipulate safety / trigger - then practice shooting from a similar bag.

Who else may have access to that bag? Children. Friends.

Where will the bag be - at work, home, yoga, bible study, in the car?

If she is going to on-body carry, can she access the weapon with the clothing she normally wears

I'd recommend getting a "blue" gun - a plastic replica of her carry piece and practice just the carry / draw.

Be encouraging. Help her to find the instruction/training/coaching she wants.

I was thinking about some posts above talking about failure to feed drills. Take a box of training ammo and 1-5 snap caps. Mix them all up and load your magazines blind, or have someone else load them. In addition, you could opt to not always load them to capacity.
This would allow you to shoot without knowing if/when you may have a FTF, as well as working to reload without trying to count rounds. You might know that you are training for FTF and reloading but never when, just like under stress where you expect to be able to do a mag dump and reload after X rounds. Useful idea or a waste?

At the risk of offending; how about letting her decide what she wants to practice and learn?
Her gun
Her permit
Her choice
If she wants your "help" she will ask. If you try to force your way on her you have lost your shooting buddy (and maybe home cooked dinners for a while)

My wife just got her CHL in Washington (only took 13 days!) and I am too excited to think about some goals for her to strive for. The first two I thought of were a 5 second draw from concealment at 7 yards, and a 3 second ready up at 7 yards (she has terrible eyesight so I'm starting easy) what are some other goals/drills for someone who doesn't shoot too often, with not too good of eyesight, that are relatable to concealed carry you can guys can think of? Thanks guys!
I find one of the best initial practice is to have the pistol at low ready, the target at 3-5 yards, and to bring it up until the front sight is at the bullseye. Stare at the 10 ring and fire when the FS is there. Bring it up SHOOT! Bring it up SHOOT! Bring it up SHOOT! No lag time. The goal is to do a quick shoot for effect. Move to 5 yds and eventually to 7 yds. Will teach her to not over think the shot. I still practice this.

Last Edited:
The best advice I can offer is to ditch the bullseye targets and opt for plain 6" paper plates, 3X5 cards, and post-its. Your wife may be too focused on the outcome (hitting the 10 spot) and not enough on process.
Introduce your wife to Kathy Jackson's blog... Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. I am sure she will learn a great deal from reading the many articles. She might even want to take one of Kathy's courses.
She should be able to set a solid personal action course for her skills development as you encourage her to seek professional instruction from someone who WILL immediately correct any bad skills habit.
A periodic review of the 7 basic pistol shooting fundamentals can be helpful and her first session with an instructor should be to evaluate if there are any problems in one or more of these fundamentals and to take corrective action immediately. Here is a site that presents these fundamentals in a nice way... How To Shoot A Pistol - 7 Basics Beginners Should Know - Combated
Here is a site with some drills you and your wife might like to consider... pistol-training.com » Drills. What's nice is the targets you can download and print at home. A word of warning is for her to stick to the basic skills development and leave the Rambo operator tactics to other shooters. She doesn't need to be doing quick draws and speed drills now.
Take some time to bookmark these sites. They make good reading or studying on rainy days.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top