JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That makes for a rare and welcome Dr. in my book. Yrs ago my kids pediatrician ask if we had guns in the house. I said yes and she proceeded to tell me how statistically my kids were more likely to hurt themselves with one and she recominded I reconsider them in the home. I responded, 1. They are locked in a safe, 2. My kids all know how to shoot and know all they have to do is ask to go shooting. I then ask my son the three first rules around guns and he rattles off:
1. Never touch a gun unless Dad or an adult says its ok.
2. Never point a gun at somthing you don't want to kill.
3. Always treat a gun like its loaded.

She was shocked at his response. I then ask the Dr. how much firearm experience she had. She had none. I told her I respect her Medical advice as she is educated. However since she is not educated in firearms I did not accept her advice. I was surprised she said "you know your right to a degree". I suggested she take a shooting class at one of the local ranges. I have no idea if she ever did. I switched Dr's for my boys after that. If she only knew there was a Conceled weapon legally on me at that time too.

I always get a kick out of those "weapons prohibited" signs at some of the places I have to go into.... :rolleyes:

As a photographer, I typically use non-polarized lenses since it messes with LCD screens (and polarizing filters). I understand pilots have the same issue with their instruments. But I'm not a pilot...:)…."interments" may read differently. Picky!;)
Yes, Polarized Lenses are a pain for reading "Instruments" ( Thanks @Stomper) not so much the Steam Gauges, but the digital displays Like the Garmin, radios, or the iPad Touch. What sukz is, I really love the polarized sun glasses, they really sharpen my visual acuity and they help eliminate "Prop Flash" which can literally kill you, so it's a trade off! My prescription makes it easier to see the digital displays and allows use of a slip down polarized lens in my helmet!

Yes, Polarized Lenses are a pain for reading "Instruments" ( Thanks @Stomper) not so much the Steam Gauges, but the digital displays Like the Garmin, radios, or the iPad Touch. What sukz is, I really love the polarized sun glasses, they really sharpen my visual acuity and they help eliminate "Prop Flash" which can literally kill you, so it's a trade off! My prescription makes it easier to see the digital displays and allows use of a slip down polarized lens in my helmet!

It was easier back in the day when all I had to deal with were analog instruments - my old Ray Bans' did just fine!!

That makes for a rare and welcome Dr. in my book. Yrs ago my kids pediatrician ask if we had guns in the house. I said yes and she proceeded to tell me how statistically my kids were more likely to hurt themselves with one and she recominded I reconsider them in the home. I responded, 1. They are locked in a safe, 2. My kids all know how to shoot and know all they have to do is ask to go shooting. I then ask my son the three first rules around guns and he rattles off:
1. Never touch a gun unless Dad or an adult says its ok.
2. Never point a gun at somthing you don't want to kill.
3. Always treat a gun like its loaded.

She was shocked at his response. I then ask the Dr. how much firearm experience she had. She had none. I told her I respect her Medical advice as she is educated. However since she is not educated in firearms I did not accept her advice. I was surprised she said "you know your right to a degree". I suggested she take a shooting class at one of the local ranges. I have no idea if she ever did. I switched Dr's for my boys after that. If she only knew there was a Conceled weapon legally on me at that time too.

Ask her how come with over 100K people being injured by trampolines each year (no joke...100K), how come she's not asking you if there is a trampoline in your house?

Or why she isn't asking you if you have a swimming pool and if it's secured from the kids accessing it?

Or if you use child safety seats on EVERY car trip?

Or if you keep you medications locked up and secured from the kids?

Now for the good part...

Ask her if she knows how many patients die each year from medical malpractice (it's 250K and the THIRD leading cause of death in our country)? Because statistically you are in much more danger simply walking in through the doors of her office, than you are from the firearms in your home. So why isn't she discussing the very real risks of coming to see HER!

And the answer to that question is because none of this is about safety or prevention. If it was, she would be talking to you about a whole lot of other things besides guns. It's about pushing a political agenda. Period.

*swoon*

Um...might you have any pictures of this doctor and would she happen to be single...or have a sister who is? :D

She's married, younger than me, I'm guessing maybe 40? Pretty cute. So was her younger assistant/student. Don't know if she has a sister ;)

Found a photo:

3SMW5_w120h160_v13572.jpg

Thanks for sharing the info. Hopefully they get some business from this and know why :)
I go to the same clinic, but have Dr Bruce. He does not seem as gun friendly. I told him about my prescription and having trouble focusing on my gun sites. He kind of blew me off, but we did have a professional discussion about Modern Sporting Rifles. It is a great clinic and Dr Bruce is one of the best, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy about guns.

I go to the same clinic, but have Dr Bruce. He does not seem as gun friendly. I told him about my prescription and having trouble focusing on my gun sites. He kind of blew me off, but we did have a professional discussion about Modern Sporting Rifles. It is a great clinic and Dr Bruce is one of the best, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy about guns.

Interesting. Dr. Julia was very open to the discussion - and it was her suggestion to bring in the rifle, not mine. I've only dealt with Dr. Bruce once, but he seemed like a nice guy.

I haven't paid much attention to the "Weapons Prohibited" signs. Are they printed with translations in seven languages?
Many years ago I had occasion to visit the Filipino Community Club in a basement of a Seattle Chinatown building. They actually had a peephole in the door. Just inside the door was what might be a coat room. Except the sign said "Check weapons here". I looked in - there were knives, pistols, bolos, clubs, even a Tommy gun. All properly checked and racked.

Interesting. Dr. Julia was very open to the discussion - and it was her suggestion to bring in the rifle, not mine. I've only dealt with Dr. Bruce once, but he seemed like a nice guy.
I have another appointment coming up, maybe I will try again. He is one of the only optometrists that specializes in Meniere's disease, which I have. My glasses are special prismatic lenses and takes a lot of testing and fitting. Like I said before, the clinic is great and I really like Dr Bruce.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top