JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I go in to see my eye dr. for my yearly checkup 2 days ago. As I'm leaving, I mentioned I may be interested in some new safety glasses for shooting since the ones I have don't always line up with my scope/sights on a rifle. They work fine for pistol, but depending on the rifle, they tend to be down too far on my face to line up properly.

So, she says, that's not uncommon and they can help find glasses that will do a better job. Then what she said next really shocked me - "When you come in to get them, be sure to bring your rifle so we can measure exactly where the lenses need to fall" to which I replied, with a confused look on my face: "What??! You want me to actually bring my rifle into your office??" She responds: "Oh yeah, people do it all the time. Just check in with the receptionists before you bring it in to let them know what you're doing. Oh, and make sure it's unloaded" She was very matter of fact about it too, not a glint of concern whatsoever.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. In this day of shear panic by so many at the mere mention of a gun, to suggest I bring a rifle into my eye dr's office is surprising, and, quite refreshing. At least I know they're not anti-gun there!!

GUN!

giphy.gif

Anyone wondering, this was NW Eye Care Professionals, Clackamas office. My Dr. is Dr. Julia Sirianni, but they all go by their first names, so it's just Dr. Julia. They have a very friendly office - far better than the A-hole who I used to use for years. I've been with them 2 years now and still pleased.

Their website: Home | Northwest Eye Care Professionals

My eye doctor has been cool as well...didn't bring up taking my gun in to the office so your Doc rates awesome. He does keep my shooting in mind during the appointments. I'm right handed, left eye dominate and my rifle/pistol shooting glasses are set for distance in my right eye (optics) and close focus in my left (front sights of handguns). Shotgun glasses are all distance. (I use a frosted patch on my left eye lens so I cannot see my front bead.) Decot glasses are great to work with for glasses like this. They also set focus points with shooters in mind.

Anyone wondering, this was NW Eye Care Professionals, Clackamas office. My Dr. is Dr. Julia Sirianni, but they all go by their first names, so it's just Dr. Julia. They have a very friendly office - far better than the A-hole who I used to use for years. I've been with them 2 years now and still pleased.

Their website: Home | Northwest Eye Care Professionals

Thanks for sharing the info. Hopefully they get some business from this and know why :)

My GP never fails to mention the latest gun he's interested in every time I visit. He's probably in his 30's and shoots competitively in an amateur league. My ophthalmologist had this great thing for pistols and rifles with iron sights where he'd back the prescription off just enough that you could get a good sight picture. He's retired now. :oops:

I have been looking for a good Eye Doctor up here, so thanks @etrain16 for the good recommendation!
Last time I had my eye exam, my doctor asked me what special needs I had, and I explained that I both shoot and I am a Pilot and need correction so I can read my interments at a glance with out strain and that I was starting to have troubles seeing my pistols rear sights. They were able to customize a prescription for me that took care of my issues!

I have been looking for a good Eye Doctor up here, so thanks @etrain16 for the good recommendation!
Last time I had my eye exam, my doctor asked me what special needs I had, and I explained that I both shoot and I am a Pilot and need correction so I can read my interments at a glance with out strain and that I was starting to have troubles seeing my pistols rear sights. They were able to customize a prescription for me that took care of my issues!

They make special glasses for reading aircraft "interments"? :D;)

This vision I have....You, in that, typically, small office lining up through the mirrors with your rifle. E-Z-F-R-D-K

:D

That makes for a rare and welcome Dr. in my book. Yrs ago my kids pediatrician ask if we had guns in the house. I said yes and she proceeded to tell me how statistically my kids were more likely to hurt themselves with one and she recominded I reconsider them in the home. I responded, 1. They are locked in a safe, 2. My kids all know how to shoot and know all they have to do is ask to go shooting. I then ask my son the three first rules around guns and he rattles off:
1. Never touch a gun unless Dad or an adult says its ok.
2. Never point a gun at somthing you don't want to kill.
3. Always treat a gun like its loaded.

She was shocked at his response. I then ask the Dr. how much firearm experience she had. She had none. I told her I respect her Medical advice as she is educated. However since she is not educated in firearms I did not accept her advice. I was surprised she said "you know your right to a degree". I suggested she take a shooting class at one of the local ranges. I have no idea if she ever did. I switched Dr's for my boys after that. If she only knew there was a Conceled weapon legally on me at that time too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top