JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted to get some opinions.

My wife is fairly anti firearm, she has a near unreasonable fear of guns in general. She has no problem with me owning/carrying/shooting but she hasn't had much personal exposure and it tends to freak her out.

That said she's been very tolerant of me recently getting back into shooting (I've owned a couple guns for a long time just haven't been actively shooting/training). Of all the things I've discussed with her recently she perked up and took genuine interest in the idea of shooting clays. I find this rather odd since of all firearms and types of shooting she could be interested in she chooses the one that deals with sweeping a shotgun at a moving target. That said I don't want to dissuade her and its also something that interests me. I've only been out skeet shooting once but I had a blast.

Okay so the question; is there anywhere to try this out? I've seen a few ranges in the area that do skeet or trap but I'm not certain if there is anywhere that would be newbie friendly and rent guns (is that even a thing?)? We don't own a shotgun currently I was looking and it seems I could pick up a used 20gauge (don't want to go 12 gauge with my gunshy wife) for fairly inexpensive, even so I'd hate to drop a bunch of money only to find she isn't interested.

My wife, who isn't a big fan of guns, but fully supports the 2A and my interest in them, jumped at the chance to shoot some clays. I don't know about your area, but several ranges in the PDX area open up for public trap shooting from time to time. Canby Rod and Gun opens public trap every Thursday, you just pay the fee and go shoot. Depending on the range, they may or may not have guns you can rent or borrow. Or maybe you can find a buddy who has one or two you can borrow (well, assuming that's not a transfer under I-594 :()

I would encourage her to participate in this as much as possible. You may find her stance on guns softens the more she's exposed to them. And in my experience, women can make fantastic trap shooters.

I recently went trap shooting for the first time at a range also had my girlfriend come so she could shoot as well. We went to the Renton fish/game club on 144th.

The staff explained everything great and we shot two rounds each at trap, had a blast.

Met a few others out there and all were friendly and willing to let us new people get used to the game.

Not sure what is up in your area but there are places that rent guns. With ladies, my wife included, you really need to get one that fits (i.e. shorter stock) assuming you don't have a really tall wife. A shotgun gets heavy especially when they don't fit well. My wife doesn't mind shooting a 12 gauge but she definitely does not like mine with a long length of pull.
Hope you can get her out soon!

Chicks love shooting trap! My girlfriend and many of my other female friends are ALL about it.

I'm currently between houses (selling one, shopping for next) but when I've got all my stuff out of storage we'd be happy to take you both I'm sure :)

I also have found that, for some reason, the ladies love to shoot clay. One great thing about clay is that it can be fun for the thrower as well. Get one of those red flyer things and go out with just the two of you. Any place with a clear view into an area that is not populated is pretty good for shooting clay. Bird shot is pretty anemic after 150 yards or so.

.......Wait......What?......Huh......

You NEED a reason to go buy a new gun????

You dont't own a shotgun already?!?!

Go get one!!! There is no downside.

Stick with single barrel guns because they are more intuitive and easier to hit what your trying to shoot.

Worried about cost? Get a used one, a "red flier thingy", a box or 2 of clays and a few boxes of shells and head out of town towards a mountain.

One more thing - add a good limbsaver type rubber pad and she will have less pain as well as be able to shoot longer.

One more, one more thing - bring a .22lr and some ammo for when she is desensitized to the shotgun, it will seem like a pop gun at that point:D

Best of Luck! It kinda sounds like my wife but she is a great shot, she just doesnt really dig it. (More ammo for me).

the best advice i can give to you is when you go to shot clays maybe invest in a firearms safety course and let someone else show her how to handle and practice good firearm safety. if shes anything like my wife she'll listen much better to an instructor. my wife loves guns but hates it when i try teaching her anyhing about them. a friend of mine can tell her the same thing and she'll listen/get it.

I would check with the local clubs and see if they have any sort of intro course she can get into. Frankly it can be a little shocking for a newbie who isn't into guns to walk around with 100 guys all toting shot guns, then stand on a line with 5 other people and start blasting away. I was fairly into guns when I started shooting trap and to me it was still a surprise. A beginner will give her that bit of confidence. If you cannot find a beginner course, I've never been on a trap line where people are not willing to help out a new shooter. I've had 5 figure shot guns handed to me to "try" and had world ranked shooters stand behind me to help adjust my hold and aim. I've found the majority of shooters want to make the experience good and comfortable for a newbie. They love the sport and want other people to love it too.

If your going to a trap range ask the staff for a trap off to the side so you can teach her without being around others. I've personally found that trap shooters are not as patient or tolerable with newbies as some of the other clay sports like sporting clay or skeet. When I take new people to the range (only because it's close to my house) I get a trap off to the side and I have no problems with the regulars. I would also recommend a semi automatic 12 ga, it has less recoil than a o/u and a pump, and honestly I haven't found any less recoil by using a 20 ga over a 12 ga. Also use 1 Oz loads or less, it would also be less recoil. New people seem to hate recoil, and that tends to turn them off the sport.

Shoot 5 stand at the kenmore range, its a bit of a drive for you but its very friendly place to shoot, the 5 stand game has a slower pace than trap, and is more fun. The games have different levels of difficulty. The guys running the game are very tolerant and nice people. Iv seen dads or boyfriends talking new shooters through the game, with that said make sure she knows the basics before you go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top