Sporting Systems
J&B Firearm Sales
Gun Deals
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Rifleworks
Low Price Guns
HighLine Firearms
The new cord arrived today. It is NOT a direct replacement. It activates the screen on the read-out, but it's error messages and a random number. I will have to figure out why a six wire cord with the same connections won't work from one application to another.
Possibly more wrong than just the cord?

I finally got a chance to shoot Tuesday evening. I have to set the chrony up in a weed patch. First, one of the skyscreen segments lost it's last tab causing me to dig thru my bag for some tape, then I dropped one of the rods in the weeds and couldn't find it! I ended up just using a screen on the second sensor.
Got it out, read the book, did the button pushing dance and cleared the memory. Set it on the tripod and got to work.
I took my time and put 17 rounds over the chrony. Everything went smoothly with no error messages.
As a bonus I dropped more of the unique rods in the weeds. A little searching and I found them all! I'll work on a skyscreen replacement soon.

gmerkt

Reactions
Possibly more wrong than just the cord?
I've considered that possibility. I'm not giving up yet. In looking around the internet, Chrony problems aren't unique. I read through one thread discussing issues with the cord. So the error messages that I got using the new cord have been experienced elsewhere. One poster had contacted Chrony about this when they were still in business; they told him the 6 wire cord was "proprietary." How proprietary can a 6 wire cord with the same plugs be?? However there is some difference which so far I haven't been able to discern. Maybe something tricky like two wires paired somewhere that I cannot see. One plug is blown off my existed Chrony cord. I've sent away for a pack of 10 new plugs and next I will try to repair the existing cord.

Fortunately, the last time I had the Chrony out, I got my work done before the cord fiasco occurred. I've finished working up replacement loads for changes made to my powder line-up. I can take my time trying to figure this out. Since I don't have all that many years to keep shooting, I wonder how much use a chronograph will be to me in future.

gmerkt

Reactions
OKAY, TODAY I GOT THIS PROBLEM MASTERED.

I had ordered a pack of 10 each of the little plugs that connect into the instrument. My original cord was missing one of the plugs, as described above.

I'd never cobbled one of these cords back together, but reattaching the wires is pretty easy once you figure out how it's done. You don't have to strip the tiny wires, the contacts on the new plug press into them. As soon as I'd installed the new plug, I tested the cord out and it worked as normal. Off was truly off, and when turned on, it gave me the usual go-ahead symbols. Soon I will test it for full function with an air soft gun but I'm sure it will be working. You can even test these by shooting a rubber band so long as it passes over both sensors.

Why the 6P6C phone cord won't work in the Chrony is still a mystery to me. Six wires are six wires. I may get out my test meter and do a bit of investigating to see what I might find different between the two cords.

Reactions
OKAY, TODAY I GOT THIS PROBLEM MASTERED.

I had ordered a pack of 10 each of the little plugs that connect into the instrument. My original cord was missing one of the plugs, as described above.

I'd never cobbled one of these cords back together, but reattaching the wires is pretty easy once you figure out how it's done. You don't have to strip the tiny wires, the contacts on the new plug press into them. As soon as I'd installed the new plug, I tested the cord out and it worked as normal. Off was truly off, and when turned on, it gave me the usual go-ahead symbols. Soon I will test it for full function with an air soft gun but I'm sure it will be working. You can even test these by shooting a rubber band so long as it passes over both sensors.

Why the 6P6C phone cord won't work in the Chrony is still a mystery to me. Six wires are six wires. I may get out my test meter and do a bit of investigating to see what I might find different between the two cords.
Bad connectors or bad wire. Wire can become brittle over time or even just have manufacturing defects.

gmerkt

Reactions
Bad connectors or bad wire. Wire can become brittle over time or even just have manufacturing defects.
The replacement 6P6C cord is the one that won't work and it's brand new.

The old cord with repaired plug works again.

They both have the same plugs, same number of wires. Same contacts in female and male connections. Color codes on wire insulation are arranged differently. BUT the device shouldn't care what color the wires are so long as they connect in the same way on both ends.

Reactions
The replacement 6P6C cord is the one that won't work and it's brand new.

The old cord with repaired plug works again.

They both have the same plugs, same number of wires. Same contacts in female and male connections. Color codes on wire insulation are arranged differently. BUT the device shouldn't care what color the wires are so long as they connect in the same way on both ends.
Slightly bad connector in the box, not the wire?

gmerkt

Reactions
Okay, I closely inspected the original Chrony cord today. It's not just straight-through wire such as telephone cord. Part way along in the line, there are some little lumps under the outer insulation that binds the six little wires together. Slight enough that I'd never noticed them before, and wouldn't have had I not been looking closely. Some kind of resistors or diodes of some kind. So when Chrony claimed this was a proprietary cord, they weren't lying. I'm not curious enough at this time to cut open the outer insulation to find out what those little lumps might be exactly. If cord failure arises again, it might become necessary but not this time.

I gives me a little more respect for the original cord. Never again will I walk on it as I have in the past.

Sporting Systems
Let Freedom Ring
Cerberus Training Group
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Southwest Firearms

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors October Gun Show
Portland, OR
Nrl22 at DRRC
Eagle Creek, OR

Latest Resource Reviews