JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Shooting cast lead thru a can

• Total voters
.22lr subsonic is cast lead. So by that logic, you should be safe to do it with .30 or 9mm. I don't just because I don't like to handle too much lead. I'm afraid it will make me impotent.

One silencer dealer I know from up north, only shoots high quality fmj ammo, through his cans. He says lead ammo gets the can too dirty, and is harder to clean.

What does the manufacturer reccomend. Main thing is, don't do anything to void the warranty, if you get a baffle strike, you want them to back up the product, and not blame it on your handloads.

I voted "Do it" only because it's your can, and I've got nothing to loose.

Shooting cast loads through a can makes a huge mess. Especially if it is shot wet. Don't take it apart often for cleaning and it may never come apart again. I shoot cast in my 22lr, 9mm, 458 socom, 1895 nagant, 300/338 whisper and 510 whisper, but not in my 223, AK, 22 k-hornet, 308 or 338 mag.

Ranb

I voted "don't" based on a sealed can. If you are shooting thru a take apart can then you need to decide if you want to deal with cleaning off the lead deposits. I personally don't.

I do it with 22lr due to the scarce avail. of plated 22lr but for centerfire calibers I would not. jacketed bullets don't cost that much more than cast last time I checked.
You'd probably want to clean at least the bore often. I had bullets keyholing and light baffle strikes in a P22 and discovered it had become a smoothbore due to lead buildup after maybe 100rds.

We can talk about this later but properly sized, subsonic, cast bullets will produce no leading in my guns so I'd be perfectly alright using them.

If, on the off chance my suppressor does get clogged, it'll be years from now. I'm sure I'll want it updated or something better will be out by then so I'm really not worried about it. You're a little picky (anal) about your stuff though so I know where you're coming from.

We can talk about this later but properly sized, subsonic, cast bullets will produce no leading in my guns so I'd be perfectly alright using them.

If, on the off chance my suppressor does get clogged, it'll be years from now. I'm sure I'll want it updated or something better will be out by then so I'm really not worried about it. You're a little picky (anal) about your stuff though so I know where you're coming from.

I have alot of anal insecurity issues

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top