Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shooting cast lead bullets thru a supressor.. POLL!

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by sweetbeard, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

So for cheap plinking ammo who would shoot cast lead bullets thru a can at subsonic speeds...

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

.22lr subsonic is cast lead. So by that logic, you should be safe to do it with .30 or 9mm. I don't just because I don't like to handle too much lead. I'm afraid it will make me impotent.

One silencer dealer I know from up north, only shoots high quality fmj ammo, through his cans. He says lead ammo gets the can too dirty, and is harder to clean.

What does the manufacturer reccomend. Main thing is, don't do anything to void the warranty, if you get a baffle strike, you want them to back up the product, and not blame it on your handloads.

I voted "Do it" only because it's your can, and I've got nothing to loose.

3. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

Shooting cast loads through a can makes a huge mess. Especially if it is shot wet. Don't take it apart often for cleaning and it may never come apart again. I shoot cast in my 22lr, 9mm, 458 socom, 1895 nagant, 300/338 whisper and 510 whisper, but not in my 223, AK, 22 k-hornet, 308 or 338 mag.

Ranb

4. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you can take the can apart then sure, its cheaper. If you cant take it apart I personally wouldn't use lead bullets.

5. Ranb

6. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

mmm pie

7. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

I voted "don't" based on a sealed can. If you are shooting thru a take apart can then you need to decide if you want to deal with cleaning off the lead deposits. I personally don't.

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I voted "Silencers are illegal":thumbup:

9. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I do it with 22lr due to the scarce avail. of plated 22lr but for centerfire calibers I would not. jacketed bullets don't cost that much more than cast last time I checked.
    You'd probably want to clean at least the bore often. I had bullets keyholing and light baffle strikes in a P22 and discovered it had become a smoothbore due to lead buildup after maybe 100rds.

10. Ranb

All of the cast center fire bullets I shoot are ones I cast myself. This is simply because they are not available commercially.

Ranb

11. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

if you are shooting subsonic the lead is not going to get hot enough to cause a problem and if it is plugging up your suppressor YOU HAVE REAL PROBLEMS call bullet strike your bullet is not to touch your suppressor anywhere ant time.

12. Civil

Civil Oregon Member

Fact! :thumbup:

13. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

We can talk about this later but properly sized, subsonic, cast bullets will produce no leading in my guns so I'd be perfectly alright using them.

If, on the off chance my suppressor does get clogged, it'll be years from now. I'm sure I'll want it updated or something better will be out by then so I'm really not worried about it. You're a little picky (anal) about your stuff though so I know where you're coming from.

14. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

I have alot of anal insecurity issues