JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be posting here on our trips to the darrington pit. I have going there for about ten years and have been taking my grandson there for close to five years.

We are going there tomorrow about noon, maybe 1 oclock.
The past few years we picked up lots of spent shotgun hulls, steel rifle & pistol cases and regular trash.
I need to take a scrap steel run up to Skagit recycleing on Monday so tomorrow I will focus on larger steel junk people took up there and left along with a few buckets of steel rifle h pistol cases. I have a old refridge, a leaking hot water tank, a few old grills and some items at the house that I will.load up when we get back home from the pit.

If any one is interested in going post on here or send me a pm and I will tell you where we can meet up.

I will be posting all of our trips here for your reading enjoyment and hopefully encourage others to get the kids out to shoot and have a good time up in the woods.

A picture from our last trip up there. 20210417_202104.jpg

We were there on Wednesday.
I didn't contact you because we were going to go to the cowboy camp above sedro but it was closed because they are logging it on week days .
Mel called DNR.
they said it was open but the gate was locked.
And a log truck came down when we were there.
Mel talked to him he said the logging companies are the ones who have the gate locked. Not DNR.
So we took the back way to Darrington.
We got there around 14:00 till 18:00.

The pit looks pretty good not much trash.
Of course we picked up our stuff and Mel picked up a bunch of shotgun shells with the magnet thing you gave her. 11394.jpeg

When did you go up there?
Yesterday we spent the day with the three grandkids. Last night we got a fire going in the fire pit and I had some buds.
We will be starting on the Rambler over by the ferry dock.in a week or so. I'll drop off some wood for your fire pit when we start frameing it.
Was the lower pit being used when you went there?

When did you go up there?
Yesterday we spent the day with the three grandkids. Last night we got a fire going in the fire pit and I had some buds.
We will be starting on the Rambler over by the ferry dock.in a week or so. I'll drop off some wood for your fire pit when we start frameing it.
Was the lower pit being used when you went there?
Nope we were the only people there .
It was Wednesday.

I will let you know a couple of day before we go again. We go almost every weekend from this time of year until winter sets in.
We will be going this comeing weekend for sure, probably Saturday.

A few of us will be going to the Darrington Pit Saturday morning if any one wants to join us. I will be leaving Arlington 8 - 8:30. It takes about 1/2 an hour to get there.
I am scheduleing a clean up for the pit June 5th at 8:30am. I will start a Darrington Pit Clean Up thread and post info about it.

Ed
Can you get out to the pit tomorrow?
I plan on leaving the house around 8-8;30 in the morning.
If you can make it let me know which pit you want if they are open.
We should have a new guy joining us from this forum to shoot tomorrow.

I took Mason up to the pit last Saturday for half the day. We left the house around 8:30 in the morning. He forgot to grab his 223 ammo so he couldn't shoot his AR. We met a member from this forum, he followed up up to the pit and stayed until 11:30 or so.
We stayed at the 435th pit until 2:30 or so then took a drive up the the small pit on the Suiattle River Road.

I have up two signs for the pit clean up.on the 5th of June. We posted one at the 435th pit and one at the small pit on the Suittle River Road.
I will be making another clean up sign for the big pit on the Suiattle River Road.

Mason took his Savage Rascle and shot a bunch of clay pigeons that others has shot at and missed. He killed two of them with one shot.
We did pick up four - 5 gallon buckets of shotgun hulls.

20210522_120007.jpg 20210522_134537.jpg
20210522_103527.jpg

I've been looking for an outdoor place to shoot, primarily handguns at least for now. What are the directions from the hwy (coming from Arlington) to get to these 3 pits? I might be able to make it next weekend to help, but not definitely.

I've been looking for an outdoor place to shoot, primarily handguns at least for now. What are the directions from the hwy (coming from Arlington) to get to these 3 pits? I might be able to make it next weekend to help, but not definitely.
the location of the 435th Ave pit? 48.283528, -121.651361

More info in this thread over at WAguns as well: https://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=121625

To get to the other two pits,
Go directly into Darrington, at the four way stop where you turn left to go to Rockport or you can take the right and go to Granite Falls. (There is another shell station on the corner)
Take a left towards Rockport. Go 8 miles and 530 will become parralel with the Sauk River. The road will have a sharp right bend then cross the river over a steel grate bridge then the road takes a sharp left after you cross the bridge.
Right after crossing the bridge the Suaittle River Road cuts off to the right.
Take the right on to the Suaittle River Road.
The first shooting pit (the small one) in half a mile on the right from Rt 530.
The big pit it 1.8 miles on the right. This pit has a yellow gate across it. This pit you can get out close to two hundred yards.
We will.br doing a clean up on all three pits next Saturday. We need people to meet us at the two Suiattle River Road pits to pick up trash, we will be having a BBQ and shoot in the big pit on the Suaittle River Road when we get the trash picked up.

We've changed the primary meeting location to be meeting at the large pit, along the Suaittle River Road, at 9 AM. The road access is easy for any car and it's the primary place we need to work on. Some people may want to go directly to the Darrington pit and we'll have someone there to greet them. Otherwise, we'll start at this new location and disperse groups out to the other pits.

Lunch will now be provided, thanks to @HighlandLofts for food purchase and @Caveman Jim for being our Master Chef!

Prizes are now on the table! Free raffle at lunch!

This cleanup is getting better all the time!

See the updates and map link to the new meeting location at; https://www.trashnoland.org/upcoming-events/cleanup-darrington-pit-darrinton-wa/

See ya next Saturday!

We have been to the pit alot since the clean up on June 5th.

Like every week there is always more spent shotgun hulls and steel rifle and pistol cases to pick up.

Today we met a couple of WaGuns forum members at 8am and went up to do some early morning shooting.
I had stuff to do so I left around 10:30.
The other guys stayed to get some shooting done.

Some jackass set the left bank of the lower pit on fire since last weekend.
20210815_102620.jpg

This could of been real bad. It looks like it went out on it's own.

I'm sure once the DNR law enforcement guy sees this they will shut all western DNR land down to shooting until the rain season starts up.

20210815_102613.jpg
20210815_102620.jpg 20210815_103411.jpg

I talked with the DNR District Manager today about the 435th pit (Mark Arneson). They are doing work on the 18 road with a road grader, I asked him if they could dress up that really rutted up spot on the road that takes you down to the pit.
He said that is another department with in the DNR. they sold a logging allotment and is dressing the road up for the logging trucks and heavy equipment.
He said he will contact the right department and see what they can do about the situation on that road.
He said it is penciled in for next spring after the logging operation.

We also talked about the large fir tree some azz wipe cut on that road and took one long off of it of a load of firewood. If any one has any information about who is responsible for cutting it he would like that information.

We also talked about the fire that some jackass
set off at the lower pit.
It was a shooter that shot an incendiary round that started that fire.
The fire department got the fire out before it started a raging forest fire.
They caught the jackass responsible for the fire.
I hope they hang his azz.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top