JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So today I went out with a couple of good friends to The Dalles to try my hand at some distance shooting. Both of these guys have done it before, I had not shot past 400 ever. It was really hot. And then the wind picked up to easy 30MPH gusts and crossing us. We set up 2/3 scale silhouettes at 400 and at 800 yards.

I brought my Noveske 18" SPR and some 77 grain Federal Premium Sierra MatchKing .223 BTHP to see if I could make it. Frankly I don't own a rifle in a bigger caliber and the wind was definitely a factor so I wasn't too sure the measly .223 would do it. We also had a RPR in .308 and a few other ARs in .223/5.56. We set up an easy-up tent and went to work after a 100 yard sight-in.

I'm not the best shot but I can shoot and the two guys I went with are better than me for sure. But I'm grinning ear to ear and probably will be while I'm sleeping tonight because I was able to hit and re-hit on the next shot at 800 yards with BOTH my Noveske and the RPR after just a few shots of adjustment! Wow, what a thrill and already has me looking at a bolt gun in either .308 or leaning toward 6.5 Creedmoor. Next time we are going for 1200.

One of the guys that was on the trip is a member here and did a great job helping me with windage and elevation adjustments on a really windy day! I'll let him chime in.

Oh yeah and also got to shoot the GP100 I made a thread about yesterday. Darned fine weekend!!

dang fine shootin sir! what kind of optics were on the rifles?

i had a heck of a time shootin 550 with 5.56 55gr plinkin reloads and a 4MOA green dot LOL. i hit the target like 5 shots out of 30. the same cant be said for my .308 and my 300wm bolt guns tho. those two were spot on at 550.

i just got a new scope for my LR308 and am anxious to shoot it at distance!!

My Noveske SPR wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44. The RPR had a Zeisse but since it's not mine I don't remember the model but it was 25x and eye relief was tricky.

nice. literally i just bought a vortex viper hs 4-16x44. its the nicest scope ive ever owned and i am blown away with the clarity of it. looking across the cornfield where i was shooting is about 1200-1300yrd i was amazed on how well i could see.

do you feel this scope is adequate for shooting long distance? what are your thoughts on this optic?

nice. literally i just bought a vortex viper hs 4-16x44. its the nicest scope ive ever owned and i am blown away with the clarity of it. looking across the cornfield where i was shooting is about 1200-1300yrd i was amazed on how well i could see.

do you feel this scope is adequate for shooting long distance? what are your thoughts on this optic?

Yes, I do actually. I found the clarity better than some other glass we looked through today. With the heat, the silhouettes were of course not clear in focus but I found the usability and the clarity to be plenty for the distance.

true story, my brother shoots 100yrd with his sp101. basically the little brother to the gp100 so the GP is probably good for 200 with low humidity and some wad cutters

I believe it! One of the guys in our group actually hit the 400 yard plate with a Glock 19 after we were all done. Took him some shots but it was off hand and impressive nonetheless! You could hear the bullet as it traveled through the air.

I have some ok video I'm trying to edit to cut out the wind noise and such. But when I hit at 800 with my Noveske I might have said a few words that Joe wouldn't appreciate on his site. Let's just say I said HECK YEAH but more colorful. :D

I have some ok video I'm trying to edit to cut out the wind noise and such. But when I hit at 800 with my Noveske I might have said a few words that Joe wouldn't appreciate on his site. Let's just say I said HECK YEAH but more colorful. :D
post it on youtube then!! LOL

or the other place u know?

Mod or not, I gotta share this!! If you're sensitive to language, just don't watch. It's not bad, but it's colorful. And believe me, the two other guys rang steel at that distance many times. I couldn't ask for a better group to shoot with.

The "hit" sound on the second shot was just the case bouncing off the leg of the table, FYI.

lol thats so awesome dude! looks like u guys were out near dufur wih all those rolling hills. its crazy the amount of time it takes for a bullet to get there at distance!

that "colorful language " is no different than the way i talk everyday. lol. theyre just words. theres a time and a place and that was the time and place for sure!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews