JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just drive out hillockburn up goat mountain to the gravel pits. Everyone else around Colton and Estacada goes there. You can also drive to Molalla and go to the end of Sawtell rd where it turns into Horsecreek rd towards family camp more rock pits and empty forest around there.

Go out past Estacada down 224 until you get to the green bridge, Memaloose road. Go up 6.9 but....CLEAN UP YOUR CRAP!! I picked up a garbage bag full of sh*tgun shells today.

I thought you weren't allowed to shoot up there any more? If its where I think it is, they had construction up there over the summer and never took the no shooting signs down

I thought you weren't allowed to shoot up there any more? If its where I think it is, they had construction up there over the summer and never took the no shooting signs down
There's been signs up that have said no shooting for the first 6.8 miles if you went across the bridge for years. Are the signs different?

I shot a bit there this morning. The sign was up and does indeed say no shooting for 6.8mi, which is no bother as their aren't many opportunities to pull over before then anyway. It would be easy to miss the sign if you weren't looking for it.

What was a bother was how unbelievably dirty it was. I didn't have much time, so I spent 15 min shooting, and another 30 min filling a trashbag with other people's crap.

Mostly shotgun shells. I haven't shot outdoors in a long time, so I don't recall if it has always been this bad, or if it looks extra nasty because a lot of the dedicated firearms enthusiasts are sitting on their stockpiles at the moment. I figure the more dedicated guys and gals on this forum probably always pack out a good deal of trash. I had fun shooting, but really did leave rather depressed at the mess.

Last Edited:
I had a scary experience there two years ago. It was a scene right out of the movie deliverance.
I arrived to find it infested with a large group of meth-type people drinking booze, then throwing the bottles in the air and shooting at it from the hip in all directions. Some were on dirt bikes criss-crossing the ones shooting and trying to make them miss their shots for fun. People of all ages, about 20.
I couldn't get out of there quick enough, while some look-outs eyed me over. They all seemed to know each other.
I haven't been back.

I had a scary experience there two years ago. It was a scene right out of the movie deliverance.
I arrived to find it infested with a large group of meth-type people drinking booze, then throwing the bottles in the air and shooting at it from the hip in all directions. Some were on dirt bikes criss-crossing the ones shooting and trying to make them miss their shots for fun. People of all ages, about 20.
I couldn't get out of there quick enough, while some look-outs eyed me over. They all seemed to know each other.
I haven't been back.

I've been up there quite a bit and haven't run into anything like that.

Maybe it's because I drive a former forest service vehicle that is green. They probably would take off a few years ago when they thought I was a ranger.

Is that goat mountain area the same pits as just past green bridge or up mamaloose? I too use the pits but not up mamaloose, that road is too narrow and have seen banjo players acting up. I would be interested to check out new areas in that area...Goat mountain?

We were up there last Saturday (3/23) and there was a fair amount of snow in the first pit. Not a lot on the road going up though. Saw some guys pulling an SUV out of the ditch. It appeared to have been going too fast down the hill and slid and hit the hill that went up from the ditch there. It looked like either they broke their front axle by the hit or from being pulled out by amateurs.

It was a bit difficult to walk out to set the targets due to the snow on the ground, but we were able to do so, and I got a chance to shoot my Winchester 94 30-30 for the first time. Decided to sell it (ad is in the Rifle Classifieds).

I have a harmonica/banjo quartet playing there tomorrow if there are any baritone jug players looking to " get at it "
I SEE DAILY MORE OFFENSIVE PEOPLE IN TOWN THAN I HAVE EVER PLAYED MUSIC WITH IN THE WOODS......JEEZ...BRING LUBE......

So... I went up to try and go to that spot off Memaloose and saw this. Can someone explain?

I continued on to the other spot a little more down the road and found that spot still available, albeit crowded.

1120161523.jpg

Been awhile since someones commented but from what Ive read elsewhere that the road is closed due to unstable ground. Not sure on when it will reopen but folks have been saying you can still get to the pits up there via Hillockburn rd. Longer drive and supposedly not a very car friendly one at that. Can anyone confirm the status of the access via the bridge? Or even the status of the pits up there? I've never been but want to head out there one of these next weekends.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top