Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shooting area on Mt. Hood?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Skier, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Skier

Skier Beaverton/Washington County Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to stay at a place on Mt. Hood with a bunch of guys from church in a few weeks, at a place not far from the turn off to Timberline, and was curious if anyone knew of a good place to do a little target shooting in that general area. We will, of course, clean up after ourselves, like responsible gun owners, so no worries there. If you know of a place in that area, please let me know, either by posting here, and via private message if you have concerns about posting to everyone (in which case I'll respect your privacy). :) Thanks!

2. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

There are a bunch of forest service roads past timberline. Hop on one, and you should have no problems finding a spot.

3. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

snow will be the big stopper.

4. Skier

You mean "use snow as a backstop" ??? ;-)

Hey, idea: active targets (snow balls, potentially an unlimited supply, and they'll blast apart when you shoot them).

Does anyone know if its legal in most areas on Mt. Hood, as long as you find a safe area with a suitable backstop? Mt. Hood isn't filled with "no shoot zones" or BLM controlled off-limits to firearms areas?

5. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

6. Skier

Thanks Billy!

7. br1sket

br1sket Portland New Member

Thanks for the info Billy, i am also in the same situation.

Hoping to find a spot that is sedan accessible. Gravel pits would also be fine, looking to sight in a new optic.

8. rangerlars

rangerlars Oregon Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The Helion Pit aka "Memaloose" is a good option 6.9 miles up Rd 45 past the green bridge off 224

9. Skier

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  10. br1sket

br1sket Portland New Member

Thanks for the reply rangerlars! Do you know what the road is like once you get off Hy 224? I've fished out that way so i know the area but never took Rd 45. I see there was a cleanup there recently so i would think the road is passable but you never know. :)

11. rangerlars

rangerlars Oregon Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The road is fine for a sedan. There are a few potholes, but they generally have gravel in them and some paint around them. The main concern is that it is windy, steep, and narrow. There are some wide spots to pull out to facilitate 2 way traffic. Take it slow and you are good to go.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

At Helion Pit there is not really 100 yards. If there is absolutely nobody around (very rare, or least very unpredictable), you may be able to reach 100 yards, but that would require shooting sideways along the road. There is an acceptable backstop using that method. But you could conceivably get completely set up and a car drives up...