JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm heading up to stay at a place on Mt. Hood with a bunch of guys from church in a few weeks, at a place not far from the turn off to Timberline, and was curious if anyone knew of a good place to do a little target shooting in that general area. We will, of course, clean up after ourselves, like responsible gun owners, so no worries there. If you know of a place in that area, please let me know, either by posting here, and via private message if you have concerns about posting to everyone (in which case I'll respect your privacy). :) Thanks!

snow will be the big stopper.

You mean "use snow as a backstop" ??? ;-)

Hey, idea: active targets (snow balls, potentially an unlimited supply, and they'll blast apart when you shoot them).

Does anyone know if its legal in most areas on Mt. Hood, as long as you find a safe area with a suitable backstop? Mt. Hood isn't filled with "no shoot zones" or BLM controlled off-limits to firearms areas?

Thanks for the info Billy, i am also in the same situation.

Hoping to find a spot that is sedan accessible. Gravel pits would also be fine, looking to sight in a new optic.

Thanks for the reply rangerlars! Do you know what the road is like once you get off Hy 224? I've fished out that way so i know the area but never took Rd 45. I see there was a cleanup there recently so i would think the road is passable but you never know. :)

Thanks for the reply rangerlars! Do you know what the road is like once you get off Hy 224? I've fished out that way so i know the area but never took Rd 45. I see there was a cleanup there recently so i would think the road is passable but you never know. :)

The road is fine for a sedan. There are a few potholes, but they generally have gravel in them and some paint around them. The main concern is that it is windy, steep, and narrow. There are some wide spots to pull out to facilitate 2 way traffic. Take it slow and you are good to go.

At Helion Pit there is not really 100 yards. If there is absolutely nobody around (very rare, or least very unpredictable), you may be able to reach 100 yards, but that would require shooting sideways along the road. There is an acceptable backstop using that method. But you could conceivably get completely set up and a car drives up...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top