JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey can anyone recommend a good shooting area near SunRiver Oregon? Going to be there next weekend with a group of friends and bunch of them have been asking to go shooting. Just .22lr and maybe some 9mm not going to haul everything out.

Detailed directions would be appreciated as I'm not very familiar with the area.

Thanks!

There are a couple spots that I have gone while there. First is the gravel pit thats just east of HWY 97 on the South entrance rd, from the map it looks like the rd. is NF9720 Lava cast forest. The second one might be a little harder this time of year depending on snow and the vehicle you take, Follow S. Century drive south from Sunriver ( it makes a couple turns) for a few miles and turn right on rd. NF-4032, there is another quarry there I believe the area is Pistol Butte, We made it in there with my truck last year at this time but they were a little shy on snow then, probably just over a foot on the ground. Good luck.

I have coordinates if you are able to find them that way;
1st spot- N 43° 51.932 W 121° 23.300

2nd spot- N 43° 49.389 W 121° 34.048

Hope this gives you a spot.

The gravel pit TJ mentioned can get pretty busy on weekends with all the Sunriver shooters but if you head South on 97 about 3 miles past the Sunriver turnoff you will see a sign that says Vandervert Road with a turnout to the right and a left hand turn lane. Take the left and it is a gravel road. Go about 100 yards and you will come to a cinder yard and the road makes a sharp right. Follow it around for about a 1/2 mile and it will make another sharp turn to the left and then look on your right for the big hill. There is a nice, flat turn out to park and the hill is a popular backstop for shooting. If occupied stay on the road and you will see a spray painted #2 on a tree on the right. Take the NEXT left and follow the dirt road about 1/4 mile and you will come to a nice big flat area with plenty of room and good backstops. This is MY normal spot as I live about 10 Minutes from it and is convenient to stop for some after work shooting on my way home. This spot is only 9/10 of a mile from the turn off from Hwy 97 so you don't have to go far. PM if you have any questions.

We went to the first place - the gravel pit on the lava cast forest road, just off of HWY 97 yesterday. Nice big, open area to shoot with plenty of backstops. There was one other group there, so we just chose a spot where we wouldn't wouldn't be a danger to them and they wouldn't be a danger to us. The place was just littered with used targets and shells all over the place - pretty sad to see that. We did our thing and packed out what we brought in (including our shells) along with a bit more to make our contribution to the site.

The place was just littered with used targets and shells all over the place
This is a recent development. This area has not been too bad in the past - but I have seen what used to be normally clean areas getting bad only recently. A few weeks ago my daughter, me and her BF were out shooting and I was surprised at the amount of 'fresh' trash - especially beer cans - and a lot of them which makes me wonder because we ALL know Oregon has deposit so why leave money on the ground?

This is car accessable
if you head South on 97 about 3 miles past the Sunriver turnoff you will see a sign that says Vandervert Road with a turnout to the right and a left hand turn lane. Take the left and it is a gravel road. Go about 100 yards and you will come to a cinder yard and the road makes a sharp right. Follow it around for about a 1/2 mile and it will make another sharp turn to the left and then look on your right for the big hill. (Which is actually an old power line road) There is a nice, flat turn out to park and the hill is a popular backstop for shooting.

This is car accessable

This spot?
Vandevert.jpg

I wish I had that much ammo $$ Lol, My brother lives in Bend and I live in Oregon City, but my family is going to be vacationing at the Sunriver resort and I want to take advantage of some free time!

Does anyone know how early in the mornjng is considered ok to start shorting at this gravel pit?

I'm an early riser and was hoping to shoot a couple boxes of 9mm at about 6 am, and then be back to the vacation rental before family wakes up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top