Other State Shooting an 'assault weapon' helped me understand the gun debate

Discussion in 'Firearm-Related News' started by stick655, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel
    Columbia County

I resemble that remark!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Kristina

Kristina
    Portland, OR
    Well-Known Member Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Oh, make no mistake, I find it amusing as all get out!

BUT. The fact that he makes it sound so “traumatic” (LOL) and still comes away with a more open mind makes it an even more powerful article. This is the kind of article that should be shared on social media because he focuses so much on feelings instead of facts. We all know, unfortunately, that facts don’t trump emotions in the gun debate. If they did there would be no gun debate :D.

(Edited to fix syntax errors)

Jonnyuma, Ura-Ki, uberguy and 5 others like this.
  3. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol
    Salem

Awesome

4. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Lol, I had to laugh when I saw his description of shooting a M&P 15-22. I wonder what his reaction would be if he shot a real AR15.

Ura-Ki and nammac like this.
  5. Tony617

Tony617
    Washington State

I like to see that reporter shoot a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot now for comparisons. The 5.56 round does not have that much recoil like a shotgun has.

6. Kristina

Kristina
    Portland, OR

Ura-Ki and 3MTA3 like this.
  7. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

True, but we wouldn't want to traumatize him too much!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Well-Known Member Silver Supporter

Makes me wonder what would happen if Tri County, Douglass Ridge, etc. local invited reporters to come and learn about the "assault rifles"? The M&P 22 is perfect because you can shoot it in the enclosed pistol ranges. I think it would be a great way to bring balance to the debate. Show them what it's really all about (making sure to have a 10/22 handy for comparison) and let them come to their own conclusions.

uberguy, Ura-Ki, nammac and 2 others like this.
  9. Wombat of Doom

Wombat of Doom
    Beaverton

I encountered someone like this at a gun range. First time shooting, they had an instructor with them. I walked up to them and offered him a few shots on my Vepr AK. At first he thought I was punking him somehow. After a bit of convincing he took a few shots. I figured maybe the truth would set him free and it isn't like I could have made his opinion on the AK worse. You should have heard the shock in his voice when he found out it only fired one round at a time.

10. nwslopoke

nwslopoke
    forest grove

Gives buttstock a whole new meaning.

Ura-Ki and Taco_lean like this.
  11. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I’d happily volunteer with such an event. If someone ever coordinated something like this, I’m a DRRC member.

Ura-Ki, Mister Bisley, 3MTA3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

This type of insight is why we need more vocal 2A women!

13. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

No big thing for my little girl.........so yeah, it probably would have given him PTSD.

20170513_142050.jpg

Slobray, Ura-Ki, NWGlockgal and 4 others like this.
  14. Kristina

Kristina
    Portland, OR

That’s the thing, we don’t have to wonder. This is something that is absolutely in our power to facilitate. There are members of this forum that are owners of indoor ranges, members that belong to the above mentioned outdoor ranges, members that teach classes, etc. All it takes is someone with those connections to reach out and make it happen. I’d absolutely volunteer to be a part of it, having a lady on hand, or any person that doesn’t fit the gun owner stereotype for that matter, would make it all the better :).

15. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon
    Well-Known Member Silver Supporter

Maybe we NWFAers need to coordinate something? Do you think DRRC would get on board and maybe one of their range officers could assist? I do know that you can shoot 22LR rifles in the indoor range and it's pretty nice.

Excellent points, all, and agree that a female presence or two would be very helpful.

nammac, Ura-Ki, Kristina and 2 others like this.
  16. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I'm not involved with the leadership of DRRC, so I can't say. But perhaps @rick benjamin might have a better insight to that. In general, I know that DRRC hosts a lot of events and I would suspect they'd be interested in any event that helps to enlighten new pro-gun folks.

Slobray, nammac, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  17. uberguy

uberguy
    Bend

The writer says "I personally support most of the gun control bills in the General Assembly this year, but I was conflicted about the assault weapon ban even before I went to the Rifle and Pistol Club. I'm even more conflicted now."

Let's be clear, I'm not a fan, but this seems more like a skirmish win for our side.
    The guy clearly knew nothing about firearms, like most gun control supporters, went and learned a small bit, now is 'conflicted'.

So as funny as it may read to us, this is a good thing and we need more conflicted vs. committed gun control nuts, in my view.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    nammac, Jonnyuma, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  18. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Also a member of DRRC(we should pop some caps sometime etrain) and would definitely be into volunteering for Introduction to shooting

nammac, Ura-Ki, Kristina and 2 others like this.
  19. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

Not sure why they ever stopped teaching marksmanship in schools...oh yeah, yes I do...control

nammac, Ura-Ki, EPS and 3 others like this.
  20. Levetti

Levetti
    Spokane, Washington

He seems to be pandering. What do you think the next logical step in his reasoning will be? I'm guessing it will be "I felt how powerful the .22 is, why would anyone need anything more powerful than that?" I felt like his ridiculous hyperbole had a point and that point was to underhandedly look as if he was being objective while planting "the seed" that gun owners should be happy with their .22s, even if everything else is banned.

Slobray likes this.