JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a question for ya'll that i hope you can help me with.
I do a lot camping and hiking and i always carry a firearm with me in case i do run into any overly aggressive animals. so if i were in a situation where a bear, cougar etc. were charging me and i shot and killed it, would there be any legal consequences for killing that animal? the whole situation seems pretty cut and dry to me (the animal charged me, i shot to kill) but i just have a feeling that it could end up bitin me in the butt (not the animal). if anyone has run into this situation before or if you know anything about this topic as far as the law goes i would certainly appreciate the feedback.

thanks to all,
JUSTIficatioN

I guess if you don't take care of the attacking animal, you may bitten in the butt literally!

Me thinks we all get too wrapped up in the aftermath of situations like this. I guess its a decision of coming home in one piece or not.

If you let the aftermath of this or any other situation concern you, me thinks we should leave our firearms at home.

Coming out alive is the main concern, nothing else matters at that point.

Get your annual Cougar and Bear tags. Small game license covers coyotes, badgers, porqupines.... Squirels. Just make sure to Yell, "its comming right for us!!!!!" before you shoot. Even if you don't have hunting tags, you can still defend yourself against animals.

Notify Fish and Wildlife afterwords and it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect to be able to shoot an animal in self defense and then harvest the meat/fur.

Notify Fish and Wildlife afterwords and it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect to be able to shoot an animal in self defense and then harvest the meat/fur.

Which I think is idiotic...the same goes for road kill.

I've let many a person take their road kill home, otherwise its a waste.

+1 My wife hit an elk about 3 1/2 years ago on her way home from a play. Our 3 week old son was in the back seat of the van. I would have loved to salvage that bull. That would have been some good meat and would have eased the loss of our favorite van (it had built in car seats in the middle bench, something and parent of toddlers would understand and appreciate). There's a lot of road kill meat that goes to waste. Although I've known some friends who have made a hit, collect and run. Never got into any trouble for it:D

I was told a story by a friend. Don't know if it is true or myth.

A bow hunter here in OR was being stalked by a cougar in the woods. He became aware of it and worked his way back to the road. The cougar followed him and when it came out of the brush behind him, he shot it. He took the cougar to the ranger station and told them what happened. The cited him with a large fine.

Several years ago I pulled my hunting handgun (scoped Ruger .357 Max) because a couple of big dogs were approaching me miles from the nearest house. One a Rottweiler and the other a shepard mix. When they got about to the "line" I had drawn in my mind, they retreated. I had been yelling at them to scoot, but if they had crossed that "line" I would shoot! If I'd have shot, I would have left them to rot, and wouldn't have given it a second thought.
(wasn't really trying to rhyme, it just kinda happened):D

Point being, Me or them? Them.

thanks for all the feedback guys. if i was in the situation i can't say i would care about the consequences afterword, but i just wanted to know. I like hearin all the personal experiences from you guys so keep em' comin. thanks again.

Get your annual Cougar and Bear tags. Small game license covers coyotes, badgers, porqupines.... Squirels. Just make sure to Yell, "its comming right for us!!!!!" before you shoot. Even if you don't have hunting tags, you can still defend yourself against animals.

so what do you do with it after to kill and tag it? eat it?

i don't want to eat one and i don't have room in the house for stuffed animals do i just put it in the garbage can and wait to see the Garbage man's expression when it opens the lid?

I need you to move to OR.... I do agree with you that fresh road kill left on the street is a waste, should remove of the street make it donation to foodbank. I am not talking about over a day road kill.

I was told a story by a friend. Don't know if it is true or myth.

A bow hunter here in OR was being stalked by a cougar in the woods. He became aware of it and worked his way back to the road. The cougar followed him and when it came out of the brush behind him, he shot it. He took the cougar to the ranger station and told them what happened. The cited him with a large fine.

Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in Oregon. "They", the powers to be in that state can KMA.:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top