JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm learning from this thread. I'm going to say something that many of you will judge me for, but it's just my perspective: I am not a dog person. I don't hate dogs, but I don't necessarily love them either. I grew up on a farm an we always had a dog. They were pets and companions, but also a replaceable working farm animal and not a member of the family. It's hard for me to really grasp the importance that many people put on their dogs. It's hard enough for me to be OK with having the dog in the house; there's no way I'd allow one in my bedroom.

Again, that's just me. In our current western society you guys are probably more the norm than I am. To each their own, and I do understand how they can really be a wonderful companion, and everyone needs companionship.

I wish people would understand while the National Forest may not have leash laws the dog owners are responsible for ALL of their dogs actions - but it seems most don't accept this. Everything else applies but their dogs are exempt. YOU are to steer clear of their dogs - they have the freedom to do whatever they want.

Unfortunately this is the prevailing attitude with a lot of people - and with those who are seemingly 'intelligent' as well.

But can anything less be expected considering the 'aftermarket' pet industry who have largely in part elevated pet ownership to an almost 'humanlike' level?

Last Edited:
This thread is a great example of most discussions. Logic/facts and lots of emotional responses swirling around. I definitely am in the camp of "my dog is part of my family" - but at the same time, I also understand how the law values pets = property. If a dog is off leash and being aggressive toward others, that's the fault of the owner, anything that happens as a result is the fault of the owner whose dog is off leash. I was jogging one day in Federal Way and an unleash pit bull sitting in a yard started to aggressively chase me and very menacingly growl as I continued to jog. After a little bit of this I turned around and spoke to the animal very sternly as I stared it down and said, "I'm not bothering you, I am not a threat to you, I love dogs and have one myself, but if you attack me, I will kill you." Call it divine intervention I guess because rather abruptly the dog decided it was time to run back to the yard it came from which was half a block back.

If my dog was attacking someone, outside of its yard, off leash, I wouldn't fault a person for putting it down - I was be very sad, but it is not the responsibility of other people to sustain major injury rather than defend themselves from my dog. The same goes for people. It's not my responsibility to sustain major injury from an attacker before defending myself.

The people who say they'd shoot a person for shooting their dog if their dog was attacking them - hopefully we never cross paths in that type of situation, that sounds like a 2 way range happening very quickly.

Most of the reported dog shootings in my area (and there have been a few in the last several years) have almost all been with dogs that were out of the owners control by a fair distance - and some were not identified right away.

I suspect there are also some dog shootings as well that are never reported due to the owners simply not knowing what became of their dogs.

So a friend of mine who had a large pitbull which did not get along with other dog told me a trick he learned.

it's not pretty, but he said if a dog bites another dog and won't let go take your thumb and plug it in the butthole and that dog will let go and back off real quick.

otherwise I always carry a knife and wouldn't hesitate to stab a dog.
I would much rather stab a dog than risk shooting at it while it's thrashing around, and risk hitting the other dog or someone standing around.

Pepper spray would be best though if you're too prude to get the stink finger rollin

The last time my daughter's dog got out it was because one of the kids left the back gate unlatched. I wasn't home, but they didn't ever know he was out until there was a knock on the door. There was a neighbor we don't know, from quite a ways down the road. The little bugger had found the gate unlatched and decided to explore, found this neighbor's house and two dogs, and was happily playing with them.

Fortunately the neighbor was a dog lover. She just put a leash on him and took him to the address on his tag. He perkily trotted along with his happy ears and silly doggie-smile, like he'd spent some time at Disneyland or something.

I've told the kids repeatedly that if he gets out and is injured or damaged something or someone, it is on us completely; it's our responsibility to have him under control. He's a bouncy, happy, half-grown puppy who has shown no tendency towards being aggressive, but if he was running loose and mistook someone's small dog for a chew toy, and they hurt or shot him in defense of their dog, unfortunately that would be on us too. :(

Yeah I hope that no one has to do this. I recently had to do this and just FYI if you have fmj do not shoot the pitbull in the head. Found out unfortunately that their heads are good at deflecting bullets.

So a friend of mine who had a large pitbull which did not get along with other dog told me a trick he learned.

it's not pretty, but he said if a dog bites another dog and won't let go take your thumb and plug it in the butthole and that dog will let go and back off real quick.

otherwise I always carry a knife and wouldn't hesitate to stab a dog.
I would much rather stab a dog than risk shooting at it while it's thrashing around, and risk hitting the other dog or someone standing around.

Pepper spray would be best though if you're too prude to get the stink finger rollin

If the dog grows to like it you might end up with more problems than you started with :eek:

The President of the United States of America signed a bill making Animal abuse a Federal felony about 10 months ago punishable up to 7 years in prison . A little known fact for some reason .

The President of the United States of America signed a bill making Animal abuse a Federal felony about 10 months ago punishable up to 7 years in prison . A little known fact for some reason .
Interesting. Looks like that bill was passed last November and was a bipartisan bill which makes me think it was a response to several really ghastly animal cruelty videos that came out last year. As I recall one (or more?) involved deer. The deer one was discussed on this forum at the time I think. Wouldn't be hard to find the events with a search probably but then again I kinda don't want to be reminded of it...

I'm learning from this thread. I'm going to say something that many of you will judge me for, but it's just my perspective: I am not a dog person. I don't hate dogs, but I don't necessarily love them either. I grew up on a farm an we always had a dog. They were pets and companions, but also a replaceable working farm animal and not a member of the family. It's hard for me to really grasp the importance that many people put on their dogs. It's hard enough for me to be OK with having the dog in the house; there's no way I'd allow one in my bedroom.

Again, that's just me. In our current western society you guys are probably more the norm than I am. To each their own, and I do understand how they can really be a wonderful companion, and everyone needs companionship.
I've been on both sides of that equation. Grew up with dogs, always lived outside. If it got cold, they had to be tough. On REALLY cold nights they may have been allowed in the house but that was rare.

My dogs after leaving home were the same way. Always lived outdoors but would occasionally be allowed inside, especially after our kids came along and they were puppies.

One day I dropped by the pound and some guy was dropping off this beautiful Rottweiler mix, supposedly half German Shepherd. He said she was 'uncontrollable, digging up the yard and such'. I took her home to my kids, aged 11 and 12. I had concerns due to the size and nature of this 2 year old Rott.

Uncontrollable? SMART. Within two weeks I'd taught her to climb up the ladder of the swingset, across the top, and down the slide on the other side. All she needed was someone to spend some time with her and get her some exercise on a daily basis.

She became an unbelievable guard dog. Hated cats. Stayed in the back of my work pickup untethered ad no one would go near it. EXACTLY what I paid her to do, as I joked to friends. Lost her at 12 years old.

We had her bred with a champion Rott and kept one of the puppies as a replacement for mom, should we ever lose her. Unbelievably, at just over one year old the pup got parvo and died suddenly, despite her vaccinations. Tore us apart. She was a GORGOUS animal.

Despite that, these dogs still didn't live in our house.

My next dog was a half-Weimaraner, half Lab. We were the victims of our kids finding puppies at a yard sale. Another awesome dog, super talented. Another outdoor dog. I had to move out of state where dogs weren't allowed so I passed him to the man who bought my fire truck.

Years later, another Rott (current). She had been trained to live indoors and was seven months old. Smart and attentive, as well as well behaved. She came with a big cage if needed, and at times she did indeed have to do some prison time. It was her safe-space. Eventually her dog bed became her safe-space. She could NEVER get in trouble if she was on her bed, and she knew that.

Having an indoor dog grew on us, but especially since we had a dog-door to the backyard and she was faithful and diligent in using it. Very smart and learned quickly. Over time you learn their personality and our friends said she was just like a person. She understands a LOT of words, so much that we often have to spell things. She became family long ago. She's also a terrific friend and companion, as well as a protective guard dog when needed. Always nice to have her around or know that she's there. She'd give her life to protect us.

It really helps to UNDERSTAND dogs. I learned a lot from watching the show, 'The Dog Whisperer'. He truly understands the pack mentality.

It's also nice knowing that when I'm out of town on a project, as I am now, she is home protecting my best half. It provides some relief knowing she's there. But she loves road trips as well. Great dog to have around.

Great dogs make great friends. If you keep them clean (bath or shower) then it's much easier having them around the house. And unbelievably, you do get used to having fur around, though it's still a challenge, especially when they're shedding.

I've always been a big dog guy, yappy dogs don't do it for me, but that's partly because I want my dog to serve a purpose, that of being a good guard dog. I have friends who have great yappy dogs who they absolutely love and are indeed a part of the family.

My girl says 'no more dogs' after this one, but time will tell. I may lean toward a Border Collie because they're so damn smart. That would be super interesting to have around.

My folks were from Connecticut and upstate NY farm families. They had farm dogs and hunting Beagles that lived outside. When I visited one of my Uncles at 5yrs old, I was not allowed to pet the dogs. Since I loved dogs, that was a real bummer and I've always thought it was a strange attitude. I cried when Old Yeller died.

But growing up in suburban S Calif, we had a two diff family dogs and of course, swimming pools. Our dogs were a smallish Cocker/Dachsund mix that was my best friend as a little tyke, then we had a terrier mix later on. These dogs were part of our family despite the folks upbringing. The dogs lived inside with us, and I used to get in trouble for letting the Cocker on the bed with me.

As a young adult, I had many dogs... most of them large breed, as I hated yappy lil dogs. Nothing against small dogs, just don't like yappy ones and when young I preferred Great Dane, Weimaraner, Labs, Doberman, Standard Collie, or most any hunting breed. I had a beloved GSP that I had to rehome when I got divorced and had no place to live.

And that was the last dog I had for some 20 yrs or so. The new wife didn't want a dog cuz we both worked and she said I wouldn't be the one that wound up cleaning up after it. Sigh. But a veto is a veto and that's that way it stayed until we moved to Bend for work. The wife didn't have a job there, and no friends, and she got lonely and started talking about getting a dog. Instant joy!!! But she wanted a small dog, and one that had hair instead of fur, so that it didn't shed. We did some research and bought a purebred Bichon from a lady in Prineville. Big mistake.... at that time I didn't know much about the hazards of backyard breeders. That dog was nuts and bit everybody. Broke my heart to take it to the pound but I tracked it to a no-kill shelter and it was adopted by an older widow lady. Our second dog was a purebred Bichon rescue dog that was my total sweetheart. She used to sleep in my oversized recliner with me. My wife snapped a pic of both of us with our bellies showing. We lost her at age 12 due to a negligent veterinarian. Broke my heart.

I was criticized by my then bozz for being emotional about the loss of that companion. He never did like small dogs and said it seemed like a thing that older people own small dogs. Yeah, that's because they are companion breeds and we most likely have downsized our yard or moved to an apt, etc. But, I witnessed him with his Yellow Lab, a hunting dog, and strictly a tool to him. Dog slept outside on the porch, no matter how cold it got. And I never saw him give that dog any affection, even when the dog was obviously seeking it out. Just a good word and a pat on the head... never. So I told him upon hearing his criticism that it wasn't my fault that he didn't know how to love. I likened it to him losing his favored 2yr old granddaughter. Maybe he got it, maybe not. But now he and his new wife have a Pointing Lab, something I never heard before, and he is affectionate to the dog. Maybe his new wife has changed his outlook.

And now we have a Miniature Poodle, something I thought I'd never do... but it seems I've taken a liking to small white dogs... must be getting old. But for me, just about any dog will do.... cuz dogs have purer hearts than humans. The only animal that loves you more than it loves itself. All dogs go to heaven, humans not so much... just sayin.

Last Edited:
I didn't mean to offend with my previous post. I realize that most here are dog lovers, and I totally respect that. I'm just not. I do know "how to love" and I love my family with every fiber of my being. I would never criticize anyone for feeling that way about their dog. I think it's a good, healthy thing.

Over the years I've heard people say things like "I'd never trust anyone who doesn't like dogs". That seems a bit judgmental to me. To each their own; everyone is different. I don't dislike dogs but to be honest they annoy me. Some people feel the same way about kids, but I don't judge them for it. My kids are my life.

I almost had to shoot a pitbull recently at the dog park over off 162nd in NE Vancouver. Luckily I was able to pry him off the other persons dog without hurting him. I have been quiet about it for the last couple months because there was still a chance the lady was going to press charges against the owners. I really need to write about it now that it is all settled.

One of the rules at the dog parks is that intact males over six months of age are not allowed.
This is an often ignored, seldom enforced rule.
Plus, untrained dogs, with morons for owners, exacerbate the problem.

Very few "bad dogs". An abundance of stupid people.
☹️☹️

Most Dogs are a reflection of their owner . if the owner is panicky or unstable chances are the dog will be to .my Dog loves woman and children .

Most Dogs are a reflection of their owner . if the owner is panicky or unstable chances are the dog will be to .my Dog loves woman and children .
I wonder what my daughter's dog says about our family. He's the happiest little bundle of energy I've ever seen, bouncing around all cheerful and playful. I say that I don't particularly like dogs and he annoys me greatly because of the mess and hair and chewing everything up, but I do get along with the little guy OK. He seems to think I like him, for some reason. Well, he is growing on me a little, I suppose... :)

Soar subject with me ! As I use to walk alot and take my Pointer with me I use to carry my officers 45acp for my protection and my dogs. While in the neighborhood I was walking her and a Rottweiler came out of a guys garage and latched on to my dogs neck. As I was in the neighborhood I wasn't carrying my pistol but instead my 100,000 volt stun gun. I hit the dog with it and pulled the trigger with little effect as I was trying to spin my dog around the opposite way. A little while later in the same neighborhood walking with my wife and daughter (10ish) a pit bull came at us and jumped at me as I kicked it away and got between it and my family....The lady came out and I told her next time I'll shoot it as I didn't have my gun. I won't hesitate from there on for any type of dog to attack my dogs or family !!!!

Last Edited:

I find the same to be true about dogs and children. Most of the time, bad dogs and bad kids have bad owners/parents, or owners/parents who don't discipline/train them to be under control. In my personal experience, there is very little difference between raising dogs and children, they both respond to stimulus and act based on how they are trained.

Soar subject with me ! As I use to walk alot and take my Pointer with me I use to carry my officers 45acp for my protection and my dogs. While in the neighborhood I was walking her and a Rottweiler came out of a guys garage and latched on to my dogs neck. As I was in the neighborhood I wasn't carrying my pistol but instead my 100,000 volt stun gun. I hit the dog with it and pulled the trigger with little effect as I was trying to spin my dog around the opposite way. A little while later in the same neighborhood walking with my wife and daughter (10ish) a pit bull came at us and jumped at me as I kicked it away and got between it and my family....The lady came out and I told her next time I'll shoot it as I didn't have my gun. I won't hesitate from there on for any type of dog to attack my dogs or family !!!!

Pants on gun on!

I probably commented earlier in this thread but here goes.

I have had 2 run ins with aggresive dogs in my neighborhood.

I always always carry when walking or running, however its hard to justify firing a gun in a neighborhood over a dog for various reasons. Not just legally, but ethically, unless its a contact shot and that is super sketchy because dogs move so fast. Its also hard to justify at a dog park, because dogs tussling is natural.

One time the dog was small, and bit my wife, the other time a kid was near the aggresive German shepherd, trying to grab it. I would never risk a kids life to save my dogs obviously!

I found the littke dinky 10' spray cans don't do diddly dooodoo. I got a bigger LEO size 25' can. I also bought an expandable baton and tuck that in my belt, figuring if I smash that on a dogs face he will tuck tail and run.

Gun is a last ditch effort if it is a huge dog trying to kill my dog, it will get blasted, but not before getting sprayed and beaten with a baton.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top