JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Legal or not,property or not,my point is we need to try to resolve some thing without just wanting to shoot the problem and think about what it may cost us if we do.
I had a guy in a park kick my rot right between the front legs. He was sure she was going to attack his dog. The dogs weren't even interacting with each other.
Now my dog didn't even care as she was a brute,but it was all I could do to not punch this guy's head off. All I thought about was my safe full of guns being taken away with my rights to ever own them again

Well in response I woulda kicked his dog....just sayn

Y
Well,sir,if your dog is killing my dog and I shoot it.I may be looking for you next.
Come to my property to shoot me for shooting your dog?
How stupid would that be? How many years do you thing you would have with your new boy friend?
With your attitude you better have your dog under control.Semper F%$#ing Fi or not
Just sayin
That said,I would try to stop the fight before I needed to shoot the dog.Depending on the breed.
Dog fights can be stopped easily if you know how.I would risk a bite before shooting,unless it was like Joe said,a bigger dog on a little dog and was going south fast

Your right dog fights can be stopped without killing, don't know who has the boy friend but if I were stupid enough to come to someone's house to shoot/kill him buddy ide be a mile away with my 50 bmg boom done......
^^ Best response Eva (IF you survive coming to see me about shooting your dog).

My biggest dessicion at that point is do you get the recievig end of my hunting rifle, my
AR or my shotgun...

If your dog is so unruly and unkept as too get into my garage and attack my dog/s then your in for a rude awakening when the county comes with the local police and takes your dog to be euthanized.

You come on my property and attack my dog??? Hell yes your getting shot! I'd be afraid for my life at that point. What kind of person even makes a statement like that?

You'd have had my respect by your profile if you hadn't opened your previabal mouth:(.

I'm sure there are hundreds of active members that love thier dogs every bit as much as you do so it's not like we aren't oblivious to the ramifications of killing someone else's pet if attacked.

=======

I see your new here so I tried not to be too harsh but get the lay of the land man, before you come in blasting away with that m60:D:p.

Here's to hoping we find something we see eye to eye on in the next thread.

Sorry yes I'm a newbe, not trying to make enemies, friends would be nice. I did not try to offend anyone, I'm a big dog lover and have broken up many fights without killing anything. Thanks for your posts I meant no disrespect... Have a great evening to all

Sorry yes I'm a newbe, not trying to make enemies, friends would be nice. I did not try to offend anyone, I'm a big dog lover and have broken up many fights without killing anything. Thanks for your posts I meant no disrespect... Have a great evening to all

There's a Man that will get along just fine here I predict;)

Kudos for not taking offense:cool:

Y

Your right dog fights can be stopped without killing, don't know who has the boy friend but if I were stupid enough to come to someone's house to shoot/kill him buddy ide be a mile away with my 50 bmg boom done......
You may need some help brother. Stop thinking of shooting someone as your first choice
BTW you aren't the only one who can shoot from long distances
Remember that brother;)

Doing a good job of making enemies saying you would shoot the guy that shot your dog that was killing his dog/animals
Learning to keep your dog under control is a much better idea
Just a thoughto_O

Absolutely not, grab a shovel broom even a glass of water will break it up. Then kick it out of ur garage. If it was a human in ur garage attacking ur pet shoot him?.... Shoot my dog and ur next..... Semper Fi

Warrenzvon, One must Control their Animals, or face the consequences, I lost a Chocolate Lab in a similar manner: she got loose, and into a Commercial Chicken yard.

I told the Chicken Farmer that it was my error, in not keeping better control, asked if I owed him damages, he said no dead chickens, no damages, and felt sorry for my loss... I am just glad my AKC Irish Setter Would Never leave my side . . .

philip

Tha
Y

Warrenzvon, One must Control their Animals, or face the consequences, I lost a Chocolate Lab in a similar manner: she got loose, and into a Commercial Chicken yard.

I told the Chicken Farmer that it was my error, in not keeping better control, asked if I owed him damages, he said no dead chickens, no damages, and felt sorry for my loss... I am just glad my AKC Irish Setter Would Never leave my side . . .

philip
sorry to hear that Phillip. This whole thread got out of control. I guess I was trying to say is to me anyways a dogs life is just as pressiuos as a humans. Where else do you get unconditional love, true love for his owner. No where, sorry not even our wife's, it's totally different. Death is just to permanent so there in most cases is a way to stop killing someone's un ruling pet. Sorry for your loss that sucks. If my dogs got loose here around the cattle they'll shoot them too and unfortunately I understand. And to everyone else reading this I wasn't trying to piss u off, and I don't want to shoot anyone or thing, well except a elk...lol have a nice Sunday

I used to raise sheep, and I still have bluetick coonhounds. In Oregon it's legal to kill dogs chasing or attacking livestock. If you're in the county that includes shooting them.

No, a glass of water or a broom is not going to break up a fight between my dogs. Two 80 pound bear dogs are not going to pay any attention to anything but a size 12 boot, a shovel, or a baseball bat when they are trying to figure out who's boss between them. I've sewn up lots of split ears.

Good relations with the neighbors are established by being truthful about expectations. I always advised mine that if a dog was in my pasture attacking or chasing a $300 sheep it was going to die. It didn't matter who owned it.

Any dog that bites a person without being provoked goes down. That's the way I've always handled things.

I've seen "shooting dogs" threads that have gone off the rails even worse. I grew up on the farm, and we had a dog that had to be put down for killing the neighbor's sheep. Another time my folks decided to breed pure-bred collies (a failed venture). The neighbor's mongrel simply could not stay away from a female collie in heat. After repeated warnings he disappeared.

I'm not a dog person, but I have good friends who are. Those of us who grew up in the country or are just not dog lovers have to understand that some people love their dogs more than they like people. I get that. Dogs are awesome companions. To them talking about shooting someone's loyal companion is akin to talking about shooting someone's child, and it's easy to get real emotional about it real quick and say things in a way that they probably don't mean.

A good friend is a dog lover, and many years ago he told me that his dog he had at the time meant more to him than most kids do to most parents. Some years later after he was married and had a couple kids of his own the subject came up again. As much as he had loved that dog (now gone), it wasn't his kid. His dog meant the world to him as an incredible loyal loving companion, but in the end it was still a dog. He would give his life for his kids, without a second thought.

A couple of points the seem to have been missed here..I agree good relationships with your neighbors are important. But when your neighbor just so happens to be Selma Hyaek, as was the case in the Thurston County incident, its probably unlikely that the neighbors were able to get to know her very well.
Second, the guy in the case shot the dog with a pellet gun, not a firearm so I dont think he was trying to kill the dog. It was just unlucky that it knicked an artery in the dogs neck.

Man it keeps getting better! So you would SHOOT someone and risk imprisonment over your dog? If so your values are seriously in question - this whole notion of animals being a 'part of your family' really frosts me! Animals are an ELEMENT of your family - not a 'part' of your family - You did NOT conceive them as you did your children.

Yup, let's fight over semantics now. All the shooting thing aside... be as frosted as you want! You are welcome to your own opinion but please don't take a swipe at others!!!!

Uh, lets see I KNOW you never said 'YOU' - that is why I quoted your post with the 'SOMEONE' How did 'SOMEONE' turn into 'YOU' - does this make sense? Offend me? How did you arrive at that? I was CRITICIZING you!

Just stop it!! I'm so tired of reading, receiving, participating in these types of arguments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH
Please see announcement from Joe Link

Alright guys, this thread has run it's course.

Too many people in here not being excellent to each other. We're going to try to allow heated debate, but it won't happen if it's like this. Please try to be more respectful of each other next time.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads