JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
"neighbor had shot at the dog after he found it fighting with two of his dogs in his garage, and it said the shooting was justified."

The shot dog returned home where it died.

So other than the ethical issue of a clean kill, is this lawful use of a firearm?

This incident comes from Thurston County WA - in case it sounds familiar.

Would seem so, as pets are property not humans so would think even though many might raise an eye brow if on your property and you think yourself or your property is being destroyed and you tried another option it would be just. I think it would be questionable if your go to was shoot to kill. This differs from lifestock which I am not addressing because it most issues and municipalities its legal.

Dog in my garage is one thing. Actively harming my dogs and I would shoot the strangers dog - but I have small dogs that would die quickly if attacked by even a medium sized dogs.

Would hitting it with a 2x4 be any better? Not in my opinion. Broken dog back and medical bills. Plus the attacking dog will most likely have been put down anyway so he saved the county some cash and time.

"neighbor had shot at the dog after he found it fighting with two of his dogs in his garage, and it said the shooting was justified."

The shot dog returned home where it died.

So other than the ethical issue of a clean kill, is this lawful use of a firearm?

hell no I'm sure there was a shovel broom something non lethal to stop the fight even a glass of water. U shoot my dog and ur next!!!!!!!

Absolutely not, grab a shovel broom even a glass of water will break it up. Then kick it out of ur garage. If it was a human in ur garage attacking ur pet shoot him?.... Shoot my dog and ur next..... Semper Fi

Absolutely not, grab a shovel broom even a glass of water will break it up. Then kick it out of ur garage. If it was a human in ur garage attacking ur pet shoot him?.... Shoot my dog and ur next..... Semper Fi
Well,sir,if your dog is killing my dog and I shoot it.I may be looking for you next.
Come to my property to shoot me for shooting your dog?
How stupid would that be? How many years do you thing you would have with your new boy friend?
With your attitude you better have your dog under control.Semper F%$#ing Fi or not
Just sayin
That said,I would try to stop the fight before I needed to shoot the dog.Depending on the breed.
Dog fights can be stopped easily if you know how.I would risk a bite before shooting,unless it was like Joe said,a bigger dog on a little dog and was going south fast

Way I look at this is my property, intruder eliminated.
I would use where I live this option as we can, my property line removes all rights
anyone has to their animal. And if it is causing harm I would have the same reaction
I would with a defensive weapon, keyword is defensive in a situation of defending my family or property. Sucks when dogs are being dogs but sometimes that means dog tearing apart your dog, cat, chicken, pigs and well that's not acceptable .

I have a liking for animals, and, yes, the dog is generally not to blame for it's actions, given the owners ways of training. If any at all. To a dog owner, a situation of the OP's posting of the situation, comes with baited breath to anyone. They are pets, and part of the family. Then keep them where they are safe, for you, and the cherished pet. However given the circumstances, the dog breed and the situation, to make one (myself) come to the decision to stop the threat to me, my family, or my animals, sorry, I'm not putting my appendages at risk. Or having the likely situation of hurting my innocent pet.

I would not hesitate to shoot the crazed animal.

Edited to add> State designations (Wa, Or, ID) would be very beneficial to the topics

Last Edited:
Well,sir,if your dog is killing my dog and I shoot it.I may be looking for you next.
Come to my property to shoot me for shooting your dog?
How stupid would that be? How many years do you thing you would have with your new boy friend?
With your attitude you better have your dog under control.Semper F%$#ing Fi or not
Just sayin
That said,I would try to stop the fight before I needed to shoot the dog.Depending on the breed.
Dog fights can be stopped easily if you know how.I would risk a bite before shooting,unless it was like Joe said,a bigger dog on a little dog and was going south fast

^^ Best response Eva (IF you survive coming to see me about shooting your dog).

My biggest dessicion at that point is do you get the recievig end of my hunting rifle, my
AR or my shotgun...

If your dog is so unruly and unkept as too get into my garage and attack my dog/s then your in for a rude awakening when the county comes with the local police and takes your dog to be euthanized.

You come on my property and attack my dog??? Hell yes your getting shot! I'd be afraid for my life at that point. What kind of person even makes a statement like that?

You'd have had my respect by your profile if you hadn't opened your previabal mouth:(.

I'm sure there are hundreds of active members that love thier dogs every bit as much as you do so it's not like we aren't oblivious to the ramifications of killing someone else's pet if attacked.

=======

I see your new here so I tried not to be too harsh but get the lay of the land man, before you come in blasting away with that m60:D:p.

Here's to hoping we find something we see eye to eye on in the next thread.

BS. My garage, my freakin' house. I don't care if you're human or otherwise. Unlawful and uninvited entry WILL result in bad things.
That's a seriously bad attitude.

I assume you live outside city limits in a rual setting? If yes, we are the same and it's a big problem with city folks abanding there dogs they do not want in the country. They must assume someone will adopt them. The larger dogs start to run in packs and we have had two smaller dogs and small animals killed by the dogs. Now I am not saying it just OK to kill someone's pet but you just don't know some times.

Just sayin
I agree
Shoot my dog and ur next..... Semper Fi
Yea uh huh, I am sure you will kill a human over your dog - It's imbecile postings like this that have caused the loss of so many good people from this forum - just sayin'

Last Edited:
I live in a rural area and our dog ran free, like every other dog. My position was always the same...if my dog harms your pet or your livestock, you are welcome to shoot her and drop her on my doorstep. I respect the property rights of others over the love of a family pet.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top