JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got bit by the bug as it was and now ill be filing a form one and building a 9mm can. Would I be ok to run 38spec (158gn at 1000fps) out of one without issue or are there some construction materials I should be looking at? Any other considerations/concerns?

Right now the plan is for the first two "blast" baffles will be stainless and the rest aluminum (want to be able to run it on my pistols as well), any input here?

Not looking for ridiculous rates of fire For it to withstand. Also....what's the verdict on snake shot out of a can, no I take it right? Lol :D

38 special is a revolver round so would only get quieter in a rifle and 9mm bullets at .355" diameter while 38 special are .357-.358"

Typically that is correct, however I'll be running a levergun. I am aware of the difference in diameter as I reload for both calibers. I figured them to be near enough as makes no difference especially as I am making my own silencer, I guess I could always just make the hole a bit bigger right?

As I understand it (btw I am a complete novice with NFA stuff so correct as necessary) the bore of the silencer is typically specific to the round...would I be fine with the .003 difference? Or would I need to drill it out larger?

I know not of cans just general cartridge information, if the diameter matters you could just resize the 38 cal bullets with a Lee push thru die. I do this to shoot the 158 speer gold dots in my 38 super.

As long as the bore of your can is sufficient diameter for the .357 diameter bullet to pass through you should be just fine. 38 special loads, even +P loads are much lower pressure than 9mm. High pressure 38 Special +P loads are around 18,000 PSI and high pressure 9mm rounds are around 33,000 PSI.

Shooting 38/357 through mine is probably my most enjoyable round through the thing. The pressures of 38 special are so low, combined with no semi action, 38 can be very very quiet.

As an example, here was a 38/357 single shot I used to own. Stupid quiet. New owner loves it!

3704F9D4-5C8F-4B14-8702-9F4AB1023C48.jpeg

Well...pro tip, don't attempt to use a phone to file your Eform. I couldnt get it to show the clickable answers for the first page :( I'll have to try again tomorrow on my computer.

I would expect that you would be fine - I really doubt that suppressors have that tight of a tolerance in the baffles. That said, ask the can manufacturer.

Lol I'll be asking myself then (form one) I guess I could just make them whatever size I want, but I wondered what sort of tolerances would be best.

So I'm nearing completion of my efiled form 1. And I am litteraly full of questions on the CLEO portion.

My main sticking point is the CLEO portion. I'm assuming it'll be the police chief of Tacoma no real problems there, my problem is if I fill that information out does it automatically notify them? Or do I get an electronic copy that I then have to send them? Or am I supposed to be notifing them before I even finish?

So I'm nearing completion of my efiled form 1. And I am litteraly full of questions on the CLEO portion.

My main sticking point is the CLEO portion. I'm assuming it'll be the police chief of Tacoma no real problems there, my problem is if I fill that information out does it automatically notify them? Or do I get an electronic copy that I then have to send them? Or am I supposed to be notifing them before I even finish?
I use the Attorney General for Oregon. I put the address for their office. Then you mail the copy of the application, which is sent to you in an email from the ATF once you complete the Efile.

It is only your job to notify them. If they actually do anything besides file the application, it is up to them to get with the ATF or FBI and alert them to any reason you should not be permitted. This can actually happen after you have been approved too. Though that was a one off random thing I've only read about online. So...

Holy crap WTF is up with that website...none of my work was saved even after saving repeatedly, frustrating to say the least...I'll give it another go tomorrow I guess

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top