JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tom closed soon after Sportsman Warehouse came to town He told me the competition from them was just to much he wasn't able to make a profit. I wasn't aware of any health issues. Though that could have factored in.

Tom closed soon after Sportsman Warehouse came to town He told me the competition from them was just to much he wasn't able to make a profit. I wasn't aware of any health issues. Though that could have factored in.

I could have sworn it was closed for 2 or 3 years before Sportsmans even opened up.. Beyond that, the prices @ Sportsmans are still awful. Can't imagine they would have been much competition, especially with him having a range.

The Sportsman Warehouse in Salem Oregon Opened between Mar and Jun of 2002 based on the companies Web site at the time.

Shooters Mercantile closed later the same year. And as I said Tom Foster the Owner told me part of the reason for closing was not being able to compete in the new gun market with Sportsman Warehouse.

Tom and I lobbied together on various firearms bills in the late 80's early 90's I even gave him rides to a couple of the hearings we attended

It would be nice if the indoor range they had would open back up to the public. As far as competing with Sportsmans, I think he could have given them a run for their money. It was (for me) always a pleasure to do business at Shooters.

It is to bad about them closing. I drive by there often. A friend looked at tearing out the walls for a potential buyer. They said the only way to do it was with explosives. I would think there would be money to be made as a shooting range.

we are talking about the indoor shooting range that was once open in Salem...correct? I moved here after that place closed down. Before that I lived in Eugene and would go to the Barrons Den weekly. I think there is money to be made if someone would open an indoor range in Salem. Shoot if I had the money I would love to make that my day job ;) It seems like someone would get on that... And I could go without the high lane fee's and over priced ammo too...I would price everything to keep costomers coming back if it were me who owned it. Aahh wouldn't that be awesome...

there have been two indoor ranges in Salem in recent decades. The well known Shooters Mercantile on Silverton Rd and then there was one in the strip mall right behind the Chase bank and Burger King on South Commercial I believe it is now a Gym. The range was down stairs with a full line gun shop on the first floor.

I think I remember there was an accident or purposed shooting at the range that caused it to be shut down. I could be remembering wrong it's been quite a while. I think we shot there 2-3 times.

just learned about "a place to shoot" in pdx but wow, those range fee's for non-member is way out of comprehension. And you have to buy and use their bullets!? wonder what kind of mark-up they have on their ammo. It seems like knowone in their right mind would shoot at the place unless they were so rich they had money to literaly throw away

link to fee's at "a place to shoot" <broken link removed>

I went to an indoor range years ago in the midwest & they had very similar policies. Think about things like rent, utilities, payroll, taxes. When you only rent range time, requiring ammo purchases only makes viable business sense IMO. Obviously, the indoor range business isn't the get rich scheme, evidenced by the lack of them around.

Is there an indoor range in Pdx? Only one I know of in Oregon is Barrons Den

Well, not exactly in Portland, but just south of Clackamas Town Center there is a pubic indoor range:

Public Safety Training Center & Indoor Shooting Range

$15 range fee and you have to buy/shoot their ammo. It isn't cheap but it is a very nice facility. A 50 round box of 9mm is $16 and 100 round box of 22LR is $9.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top