JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So....here is my dilemma.

I recently acquired a IMBEL manufactured SAR-48. Not a parts kit gun built on a IMBEL receiver. A fully 100%, FN licensed, milspec built, IMBEL made rifle. These were imported from about 1985 until 1992 by Springfield Armory before the various import bans finally brought the heyday of military semi auto imports to an end. Mine was imported in June of 1988 according to Springfield.

So I bought this without a great deal of inspection. Two maybe three minutes tops. The dealer of course would have never allowed me to open it up (understandable) but in looking at it from the outside it was REALLY minty looking. The only mark I could find was where the selector had been operated across the lower receiver. I bought it right then and there.

After getting it home and opening it up were my suspicions confirmed. It's unfired.

I've had a great many firearms presented to me as unfired, but inspections of extractors, ejectors, and ejection ports don't lie and will often tell a different story. This rifle is spotless on the inside. Plus, it was still packed with cosomoline on the bolt carrier, bolt, operating rod, and inside the barrel and chamber. Even if someone were to fire it, it wouldn't have cycled.

On the negative side, It's missing the box, bayonet, paperwork, original sling, extra magazine, and I think even a bipod and blank firing device. So the rifle is somewhat of an orphan in that sense.

I really want to shoot it. However, doing so will probably knock off $500 with that first round. And they ain't making them anymore. I've thought about buying a SECOND one that does have wear and tear, but still........why. :D

Your thoughts are required.

-E-

20201004_152520.jpg

20201004_152529.jpg

20201004_152545.jpg

Last Edited:
Is your concern that it isn't safe to fire or that it's too good a specimen to shoot? I guess if it's an investment piece I'd stick it in the back of the safe, but personally I don't own any firearms I don't intend to shoot and use.

Is your concern that it isn't safe to fire or that it's too good a specimen to shoot? I guess if it's an investment piece I'd stick it in the back of the safe, but personally I don't own any firearms I don't intend to shoot and use.

Too good to shoot. IMBEL FALs are considered top notch and nearly on par with an original FN built rifle. FN even contracted with IMBEL at one point to produce spare parts.

I've never really bought firearms with investment as the intent, although sometimes it works out that way.

-E-

Seconding some thoughts already shared.

If it's an investment, no way. Not only does the value drop on that first shot, but so does the "Wow" factor that will likely move it fast and at a premium multiplier when you "cash in" on your investment.

If you plan to shoot it someday, then you are missing out on some serious "enjoyment" dividends! Get to shootin!

My two cents

I really am not a collector of firearms that are not to be shot, so take my input with a grain of salt. Shoot it like you stole it! If I wanted to invest to make money I would buy gold, stocks, bonds or property. Guns are made to shoot. Oh and pics or it didn't happen lol.

Last Edited:
Even if it was a G series FAL I would shoot it.
I would drop a .308 no go in it before shooting commercial .308 through it though.
It's not the slightly higher pressure, it's the headspace you need to be concerned with.
7.62 NATO can run a lot looser than commercial .308
When I built them I set them up at the minimum for .308 but I'm not sure how Imbel set them up.
I never did shoot commercial ammo though as I was getting 1600 rounds of 7.62x51 for $100 delivered back then.

If it is new, it is very rare and you could probably get two or three DSA SA58 new build rifles for it. It almost looks refinished. If you haven't already, go on the FAL Files and start asking questions. It sounds like you already did some research. Nice looking FAL though.

I have an Imbel receiver L1A1 with a Steyr barrel that was imported through Canada by CAI. I got it used from my Dad and really don't know a lot about it, but love shooting it.

Depending on what you paid for it, I would have a tough time not shooting it. Nice find.

Even if it was a G series FAL I would shoot it.
I would drop a .308 no go in it before shooting commercial .308 through it though.
It's not the slightly higher pressure, it's the headspace you need to be concerned with.
7.62 NATO can run a lot looser than commercial .308
When I built them I set them up at the minimum for .308 but I'm not sure how Imbel set them up.
I never did shoot commercial ammo though as I was getting 1600 rounds of 7.62x51 for $100 delivered back then.

I've read several mentions now regarding headspace. I have more to learn on that front. It sounds somewhat along the same lines as checking bolt gap on my roller lock guns. Is it as simple as dropping a "no-go" gauge in and closing the bolt to check?

I don't shoot commercial .308 out of my 91's. I've got a pretty good supply of M-80 ball ammo to burn up.

-E-

Yep, if the bolt closes on a .308 no-go then it's a milsurp only gun.
It's probably fine but it's always a good idea to check the factory 7.62x51 guns before using .308

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top