JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So money has always been an issue for me, I'll just throw that out there.

I have a mossberg 500, but I have had my eye on the shockwave since it came out. First off, is a firearm like this even practical besides just being cool?

Second: WHAT IF, I only buy the raptor grip for my 500? It's 18.5" will make it end heavy, I understand that. Would that be too akward?

Is this a decent option or should I just buy the actual shockwave?

Speaking for myself...
I like the idea of the Shockwave....They look like a fun gun to have and shoot as well as being useful for some applications...
But think that a Mossberg 500 may be a bit more practical for my uses...
Such as hunting , home defense and just as a fun gun to shoot.

Pistol grips on full sized shotguns , have never held any appeal to me...nor have I found them to be as useful in shooting as a shotgun with a regular stock.

All that said there are some members here who have a Shockwave and enjoy them....
Andy

Are you looking for practical or fun? If the former, no question, the 500. If fun, and you've wanted one, the Shockwave. As with Andy, I've always been way more effective with a shotgun with a stock than a PGO setup. (Not poo-pooing them for fun and/or gonzo factor; we have a Super Shorty in the battery after all. :s0165:)

I have a Mossy 500 with the pistol grip. I personally like the idea of hanging on to a 12GA with a pistol grip, as opposed to wrapping my hand around the grip to hang on to it. (I hope that make sense)

If I were to ever get a Shockwave the first thing I would do is change that grip.

Thanks for the input guys. I could always shorten the length of my stock myself to just have to have more of a compact shotgun. 14' LOP is a little much. I know they sell shorter stocks, but I could just do it myself haha.

If I ever bought another, it would be immediately followed by a form 1 so I could put a stock on it.

Had one, too big for one hand shooting, too awkward for two hand shooting.

Shoots best from the hip, so if it can have a laser or something it might be worthy.

The Vtac or Honcho Daily SBS would be nice.

No thanks...
1586055958135.png
Yes please!
1586056037484.jpeg

If I ever bought another, it would be immediately followed by a form 1 so I could put a stock on it.

Had one, too big for one hand shooting, too awkward for two hand shooting.

Shoots best from the hip, so if it can have a laser or something it might be worthy.

The Vtac or Honcho Daily SBS would be nice.

No thanks...
View attachment 679751
Yes please!
View attachment 679752

how much does that cost? like $250 right?

how much does that cost? like $250 right?
$200. Filing online takes all of 10-15 minutes. Less if you have all your data points ready for input.

FBI finger print cards can be purchased off amazon. As well as ink pads. Maybe $15 for all that. Roll your own prints and mail them off with the cover letter.

Wait 30 days (average), add stock.

$200. Filing online takes all of 10-15 minutes. Less if you have all your data points ready for input.

FBI finger print cards can be purchased off amazon. As well as ink pads. Maybe $15 for all that. Roll your own prints and mail them off with the cover letter.

Wait 30 days (average), add stock.

hahaha

^. This would be neat-o.

I came close to SBSing a Remington V3 TAC-13 to a "Whippet" configuration. For reasons I can't really remember (2019 was pretty gonzo) lost interest and went in a couple different directions with NFA projects (a lever SBR and MG). But I still really dig the concept of a very light, fast handling auto scattergun. :)

The grip on a Shockwave is not simply for style, it keeps the firearm over 26" and out of AOW NFA territory. If you are going to put a regular pistol grip on a Shockwave first measure the length of the two grips.

Odd, someone's saying the Shockwave only holds 3 rounds...
... My wife's 410 Shockwave house-gun using 3" shells holds 5 +1 chambered.
At 5'1" and 62 yrs old, she can handle the 4lbs just fine, either one or two handed.

I only paid $270 for it new incl: del, tax and FFL. I just couldn't pass the deal up (Less than an NAA 22 revolver)

How much a 12 ga Shockwave holds depends on the length of the shell. My Shockwave holds five 2.75" shells, four 2.75" and one 3" shell, less 3" shells (I need to find my stash). Then there is the one in the chamber - so six shots - unless you go with mini-shells.

I thought these were a gimmick, until it occurred to me that they would be a great truck gun, and maybe a good defense 'long gun' for my daily driver should I get tangled up in something like a toilet paper riot.

Shooting 2.75" buckshot, with a pistol brace or just a pistol grip, should be manageable for most people. Shooting 3" magnum buckshot, not so much with a pistol grip - feels like twice the recoil and you really need to hang onto the foregrip - that is what that strap is there for and even then the recoil can tear it out of your hand if you don't hang on.

With a pistol brace, it is about as good as a buttstock if you accidentally put the brace against your shoulder.

Many pistol grips take you down under 26". One model of the Blackhawk Knoxx Breacher's grip takes you over 26" - another model, the one I have, is just an eighth of an inch over 26".

If you want a SBS and want to pay the tax, then consider getting the regular shotgun with the 18.5" barrel and buying a short barrel after you get the stamp. Or you can go the other way.

There seems to be a legal grey area that Shockwave owners need to be careful about and that I have not seen addresses by the ATF or a court case; if you put an 18.5" barrel on a Shockwave and then put a stock on it, then it is no longer a "firearm", it is a shotgun. That is quite probably fine. If you return it to the Shockwave configuration - that is when I think you might run into problems; the Shockwave is a 'Firearm' in no small part because it was never legally a shotgun. If you put a stock on it, then it is a shotgun and I don't think it can be legally returned to being a 'firearm'.

For me, I am fine with the pistol brace; when it accidentally is against my shoulder, I find it almost as good as a shoulder stock, except for cheek weld, but it is adequate for my uses.

Finally, I recommend a laser sight for it, with or without the pistol brace, but especially without (and with pistol grip or the original raptor grip); it is hard to aim accurately with a pistol grip. For self-defense, the laser will help in that regard - I have laser and light on a rail on top of the receiver.

Last Edited:
I'd prefer the 500 with the extended mag tube. You can go back/forth with pistol grip or stocks which which are available aftermarket in collapsible/ folding, standard, standard with pistol grip etc. It's just a little longer than shockwave with pistol grip and handles recoil better with benefit of having higher mag capacity. In either case you can purchase an OpSol 2.0 flex adaptor directly from OpSol in Texas for 17$ which includes free shipping and comes in 2 days by USPS. Simple to install and remove in seconds whick allows you to reliably use minishells in most all Mossberg 500,590, and Maverick pump action shotguns and should work same in shockwave. No jam/doublefeed problems with OpSol and it doubles your ammo capacity with shortshells which can be purchased with reduced pellet count #4 buckshot with 100fper second less velocity without sacrificing accuracy/ pellet spread . Hope that helps someone. Happy shooting

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top