JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Odd, someone's saying the Shockwave only holds 3 rounds...
... My wife's 410 Shockwave house-gun using 3" shells holds 5 +1 chambered.
At 5'1" and 62 yrs old, she can handle the 4lbs just fine, either one or two handed.

I only paid $270 for it new incl: del, tax and FFL. I just couldn't pass the deal up (Less than an NAA 22 revolver)

12 ga Shockwave holds 5+1 (2.75" shells).
The Birds-head grip actually reduces felt recoil tremendously...I guess by "aligning" your wrist with your forearm structure.
I like how easy it is to navigate around corners, etc, but my real concern in a home defense scenario is that, if not careful and thoughtful (2 traits usually missing in an adrenaline-fueled situation), the natural tendency to bring the Shockwave up to the eye to site down the barrel will result in smacking you hard right in the mouth. Like almost knock-you-out hard.
Not what you want when it's go-time.

This and a laser might be the only configuration I'd consider.

1586109780269.jpeg

I have the Shockwave, a KSG, and a TAC13. All three are fun. The TAC13 is getting a SBA4 Pistol Brace (Brownells) this Friday. Bought mini-shells by the case months ago. Going to leave the Mossberg Shockwave as is because with the OPSI it handles minishells great. Love the KSG because of the 2 tubes, and looking forward to the Brace to install on the TAC13. All great guns! And a helluva lot of fun!!!

Well... maybe a few more if you play yer cards right.
View attachment 679777

My personal 500 (18" "trench gun") holds 5+1 of 2 3/4", and is currently stoked w 00 buck. The Shockwave will take 4 of those or 8 (+1 in both cases) minishells/slugs (as pictured).
be
Get opsul flex for $17 direct from opsul in Texas. They mail it to your house for free. You can take that 500 and load it up to almost double your 2 3/4 inch shell round count. The #4 buck minishells Carry 3 buckshot and 9 pellets and have a velocity 1200 fps. Tight pattern and devastating at close range. Opsul flex easy to take in and out in a few seconds and you will never have feed or stacking problems with minishells in your gun. Works in 590 and Maverick too

Does it need any kind of adapter piece in order to cycle mini shells?
I use the opsol adapter but was able to use them without it. It is just virtually impossible to make it jam. Prior to the adapter your technique really effected reliability. Basically for mine you had to really move fast and hard for reliable cycling. I can't jam it with the adapter. I have tried to make it. Imo it is much more useful with mini slugs.

So, I'm gonna be a little off base but still in the ballpark and suggest a mossberg 535 for the added benefit of 3.5" shells in addition to the smaller. Reason being, you can have an 18" smoothbore HD barrel and just use 2.75/3" or the minis and when you feel like it, slap a 28" on there and reach out and touch something with a 3.5" or grab a turkey barrel and yada yada yada. you get the idea. Same gun as the 500 with just a tick more versatility. I have yet to find a corner in my tiny house a standard shotgun with a stock can't navigate

Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel with folding stock is about the same length as shockwave but gives u way more stability and accuracy by having a stock. The cheapo ($48 new is what I paid) butler creek folding stock for example, overall length is 28 3/4". I'm sure other smaller folding stocks exist which would shave off an inch or two. Shockwave's length is 26.5"

6EFE1675-4BED-4D36-9684-5D8DE4D1C8E6.jpeg
This video compares shooting a pistol grip only vs pump with stock. They point out some very important differences in home defense use etc. Skip to the 22:00 mark to see conclusions.

Another video that tactfully points out the problems.

Last Edited:
You can do something very similar with a Shockwave, as long as the folded length is 26"+

I have an SBA3 brace on my Shockwave and length is 30.5" collapsed, 32.5" extended.

My other Shockwave has the Knoxx Breacher grip on it and it is just barely 26"

To each their own. These are niche guns, and not for everybody, but I learned they fill a niche for me.

I have both a 590 and a Shockwave, each has its own purpose
once you get use to the Shockwave, even 00 Buck isn't hard to handle, but I usually load it with low recoil #4 Buck
for casual carry on my property, I prefer the compact Shockwave
if I'm jumping out of bed, it will be with the Shockwave
installed the saddle laser for easier targeting, I do not recommend sighting down the barrel of a Shockwave

shockwave with bandolier.jpg making colsaw.JPG

a wise man said if you have to use your shotgun for self defence, you will be fighting with what you have on the shotgun, thus the popularity of saddle shell holders
I keep the bandoleer with 20 rnds of #4 Buck draped over the Shockwave at all times, the bandoleer goes over my shoulder as I pick up the shotgun
If I can't get it done with 25 rnds of Buck, I need to call in an airstrike

and I've tried the laser in the bright sun of Western Washington and you can still see it out to 35 yrds

Just thought I would revive the thread with the latest upgrade to the Mossberg Shockwave. The Shockwave Technologies Raptor F1 forend complete with heat shield:

20201120_185009.jpg
20201120_184656.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm liking the idea of turning the shockwave into a Short barreled shotgun. My only question is, are all the parts interchangeable with the 500/590 or did they make changes to the barrel and buttstock requiring modificaitons/special parts?

I'm liking the idea of turning the shockwave into a Short barreled shotgun. My only question is, are all the parts interchangeable with the 500/590 or did they make changes to the barrel and buttstock requiring modificaitons/special parts?

The parts are identical - you can put any 590 parts on the Shockwave, but some 500 parts, such as the barrels are different between the 500 and 590. Often buttstock parts will fit between the 590/500 IIRC, but not some foreends?

I've wanted to buy a longer barrel for one of my Shockwaves but online they are expensive and I have had no luck finding a used one for sale. Note: while there is nothing on the Shockwave that says it is a Shockwave, the ATF would probably say you can't put an 18"+ barrel on it and then go back to the shorter barrel. The legalese that is the loophole for the Shockwave et. al. says that the firearm was never a shotgun, so if you make it a shotgun, you can't go back to it being a "firearm". The same is probably true of making it a SBS - then it is a shotgun and the only way you could take it off the NFA list would be to put a longer barrel on it or destroy it, it cannot go back to being a Shockwave. Once a shotgun, always a shotgun.

The parts are identical - you can put any 590 parts on the Shockwave, but some 500 parts, such as the barrels are different between the 500 and 590. Often buttstock parts will fit between the 590/500 IIRC, but not some foreends?

I've wanted to buy a longer barrel for one of my Shockwaves but online they are expensive and I have had no luck finding a used one for sale. Note: while there is nothing on the Shockwave that says it is a Shockwave, the ATF would probably say you can't put an 18"+ barrel on it and then go back to the shorter barrel. The legalese that is the loophole for the Shockwave et. al. says that the firearm was never a shotgun, so if you make it a shotgun, you can't go back to it being a "firearm". The same is probably true of making it a SBS - then it is a shotgun and the only way you could take it off the NFA list would be to put a longer barrel on it or destroy it, it cannot go back to being a Shockwave. Once a shotgun, always a shotgun.

That said, simply putting an 18" barrel on it may or may not make it a shotgun - IF you don't put a stock on it. I think that would be true but IANAL. My idea for that would be that I might be able to take it thru California with an 18" barrel? I don't intend to put a stock on either of my Shockwaves - one has a pistol brace on it, the other (that rides in my daily driver) does not - it has a Knox breacher grip on it (with a recoil spring to mitigate the recoil) and is still over 26" - barely.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top