JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Brought to you by the Washington Times and our good friend, John Lott...

John Lott Jr.: Adam Lankford 'botched' study claiming U.S. accounts for one-third of mass shootings

A shock 2016 study argued that the U.S. accounted for nearly one-third of all mass shootings, sparking global headlines about the dangers of an American gun culture.

Now another researcher says the original study "botched" the data

John R. Lott Jr., president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, crunched the numbers and said his count shows that the U.S. had less than 3 percent of the world's mass public shootings over a 15-year period.

That is smaller than the 4.6 percent of the world's population that the U.S. accounts for — and way less than the 31 percent of global mass shooters that Adam Lankford, a professor at the University of Alabama, claimed in his widely publicized studies.

:rolleyes: I don't trust statistics no matter who does them! It is to fit there own agenda! :rolleyes:
I studied statistics. Its not necessarily the numbers, its how they manipulate the data to get the numbers. Or how they try to make the statistic sound in the wording of an article. Key thing to remember is that ultimately statistics are just numbers and don't tell the story behind them.

Which people seem to try and make them do.

which is why statistics lie. If I knew the person doing the study and trusted them, then I guess I would trust the study.
Not at all, statistics themselves don't lie, they're just numbers. The person using the statistics would be the one lying. Its easy to get the numbers a certain way by either ignoring certain factors, or adding certain factors.

So the statistic itself isn't lying, its the person using it that is.

Seems I recall hearing this same argument some time ago. That all the lefts mantra about gun control is based on an incomplete study that really was based upon on associate professors opinion and not upon fact.

More telling is the second video that ran, where John Strossel exposes New York's draconian gun laws jailing travelers... Imagine they consider a firearm as loaded if it is locked unloaddd in it case and the ammo is in the same suitcase? These nut jobs are completely off their collective rocker...

Edited to correct the predictive/autocorrection that hasn't learned to read my mind yet. Grrrrr...

Last Edited:
Statistics are fine. It's the way they are mis-applied and the conclusions they try to derive from them that's rediculous. If they don't provide source data to be independently verified, reject it as garbage. If they do provide source data, review it and draw your own conclusions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top