JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you all for the the help and advice, both here and via PM. It is most appreciated.

I just got back from the PO and the attitude was totally different this morning. I also provided her printouts of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and ATF sites. She said, curiously, they've never done a handgun shipment, she's waiting on the Portlandia office to confirm the regs, and they are down a staff member. She was apologetic and asked that if absolute worst case scenario could I take the first shipment into the larger PO in the county seat as they have done handguns. I said no problem for one and I just wanted to get us lined up for moving forward. She said thanks that she'd call once they were ready to roll.

P.S. Sorry if my original post was too snarky. I have had a good working relationship with the postal system over the years, have had generally had good interaction with our local office, and rely on said for business. This just came on the heels of several months of hellacious happenings in my day job that was almost exclusively driven by Federal regulatory changes that were handled very poorly, to put it charitably. Which was followed by running the gauntlet to get this side business past the licensing and paperwork phase.

Snarky? Not even close. You're just being honest.

Glad things seem to be working out, albeit slowly.

8298D18C-0245-4DB0-88F9-AD9D98FDE864.jpeg

Our solution has always been to ask them: "Then why is there a form from the Post Office for exactly the thing you're telling me I can't do? Can you please check to see if it's something you may not be aware of?"

Usually they feel stupid after asking their boss, which is a nice fringe benefit.

Funny you mention it, because the postmaster never heard of the form, and I handed her a copy on day one. In fact, the reason why I went down there in the first place was to just confirm that was the only piece of paper they wanted before I started shipping items next week. I could just see them saying "oh yah, you also need [fill in the blank]", so I was trying to save everyone a little time. Silly me. ;)

Funny you mention it, because the postmaster never heard of the form, and I handed her a copy on day one. In fact, the reason why I went down there in the first place was to just confirm that was the only piece of paper they wanted before I started shipping items next week. I could just see them saying "oh yah, you also need [fill in the blank]", so I was trying to save everyone a little time. Silly me. ;)

I hate that their rates are so much cheaper than UPS/FEDEX.

I was baffled this yr when a pistol of mine shipped USPS...I thought only long guns musta change.
Nope, it's been that way for the last 50 years, at least. It was adopted right after the '68GCA and hasn't been changed. They've updated forms and such but FFLs have been able to ship stuff by USPS all that time. UPS & others have been screwing the private sector with higher rates and regulations for many years.

All this brings up a point I have tried to make for years. Shipping a hand gun by common carrier, flying with a hand gun and such. Every time 5 people get on line to tell stories about how it "was so easy" for them I warn others. Just because it's legal does NOT mean you will not run into exactly what you just went through. I tell people flying with a gun? Show up hours early to make sure. Almost every time 5 people will jump in to say how easy it is because they did it, one or two times. This is all great until some poor guy believes that, shows up with little time cushion, and gets the employee who confidently tells them, "NO, you can't do that". Sure you will get it fixed but if your plane leaves before a robot with a brain shows up they could care less you missed your plane. So wanting to ship a gun or fly with a gun be prepared. You are just luck of the draw if you get a robot who confidently tells you that they know everything when they know nothing.

Your postal person doesn't know her job.

That being said.......
The last time I dealt with a postal person..... Well, all I can say is that they seem to, "have this bad attitude". Sure they smile and they act like they know their $#@*. OK, Ok, ok.......maybe, it's just the "postal regulations" that make them appear to be so rigid (even when they don't make much sense at times).

So then, to any postal person actually reading this.......
Well, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. YES, I know that not every postal person is like those that I have had to deal with recently. Anyway, it seems to me that they should have been at least a bit smarter than, that guy working at the min. wage place.

Aloha, Mark

All this brings up a point I have tried to make for years. Shipping a hand gun by common carrier, flying with a hand gun and such. Every time 5 people get on line to tell stories about how it "was so easy" for them I warn others. Just because it's legal does NOT mean you will not run into exactly what you just went through. I tell people flying with a gun? Show up hours early to make sure. Almost every time 5 people will jump in to say how easy it is because they did it, one or two times. This is all great until some poor guy believes that, shows up with little time cushion, and gets the employee who confidently tells them, "NO, you can't do that". Sure you will get it fixed but if your plane leaves before a robot with a brain shows up they could care less you missed your plane. So wanting to ship a gun or fly with a gun be prepared. You are just luck of the draw if you get a robot who confidently tells you that they know everything when they know nothing.

You see it really is easy if a caveman can do it. You just have to be smart and it's how you go about it, have a printed copy of the rules to shove in their face when they say no. NEXT!!!

I've only had one problem out of a dozen times I have flown with my gun and it was the last time when they lost my bag due to a cancelled flight due to inclement weather at my destination.:mad::mad::mad:

You see it really is easy if a caveman can do it. You just have to be smart and it's how you go about it, have a printed copy of the rules to shove in their face when they say no. NEXT!!!

I've only had one problem out of a dozen times I have flown with my gun and it was the last time when they lost my bag due to a cancelled flight due to inclement weather at my destination.:mad::mad::mad:

That shoving it in their face "sounds great". Problem is this too can lead to some real problems. When you are dealing with an agent and an airport, TSA, as the OP did, a person in power at the USPS, or even a counter person you making demands does zero. The person you are shoving paper in the face of has NOTHING to lose. Are you planing of firing them? Tell them that and they will fall on the floor laughing. So anyone who wants to ignore the advice of expecting to overcome ignorance by one of these people by acting like this? Have at it. It will not work but it sure sounds good.

Your postal person doesn't know her job.

That being said.......
The last time I dealt with a postal person..... Well, all I can say is that they seem to, "have this bad attitude". Sure they smile and they act like they know their $#@*. OK, Ok, ok.......maybe, it's just the "postal regulations" that make them appear to be so rigid (even when they don't make much sense at times).

So then, to any postal person actually reading this.......
Well, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. YES, I know that not every postal person is like those that I have had to deal with recently. Anyway, it seems to me that they should have been at least a bit smarter than, that guy working at the min. wage place.

Aloha, Mark

A LOT of the problem with this is when you are dealing with people who have "power" and can't be fired. Many of these people become quite impressed with the power they have or think they have. If they also have a job that they can't be fired from, well you are probably in front of the wrong person to pick a fight with. Sadly you have to just be prepared to deal with the ignorance. Not saying it's easy, or fun, just that there is seldom some easy quick fix.

That shoving it in their face "sounds great". Problem is this too can lead to some real problems. When you are dealing with an agent and an airport, TSA, as the OP did, a person in power at the USPS, or even a counter person you making demands does zero. The person you are shoving paper in the face of has NOTHING to lose. Are you planing of firing them? Tell them that and they will fall on the floor laughing. So anyone who wants to ignore the advice of expecting to overcome ignorance by one of these people by acting like this? Have at it. It will not work but it sure sounds good.

No none of that, I'm not going to be a dick, I just politely show them the paperwork and it has all worked out just fine through the years.
I more like educating people then demeaning them for being ignorant.;)

Update this ...

So, I was told by the postmaster that I'd get a call back on Monday. Did I? Of course not. At about 3:30 PM I had to dump a bunch of invoices for my day job and I spy her working the counter. I sidle up and ask what's the scoop and get a "Um, nothing yet ... eh, could you go up to the county seat to mail them?" I'm running out of patience and one of the two handgun I need to ship is to a member here (or rather his FFL), so I answer in the affirmative as I need to visit the farm supply there anyway, and as long as it is just these, meh, whatever. I get back to my office and figure I better call the big post office in the county seat to make sure I don't get the same crap there and it goes like this:

Post Office guy: "[County seat post office] How can I help you?"
Me: "Hello there. I am calling about form 1508. I'm a dealer and need to ship a handgun. I'm in [my podunk town] and wanted to confirm before spending over an hour round trip."
Post Office guy: "Yes ... bring that form completed with your package. You know there is a post office in [podunk town], you can mail it from there."
Me: "The postmaster at [podunk town] says I can't and deferred me to you."
Post Office guy: "What? You can legally ship that from any post office in the country, as long as you are a dealer. Can you hold for one moment? I want to talk to her."
(Elevator music for 10+ minutes)
Post Office guy: "You're all set. She knows what to do when you come in. If you have any problems, call me back, my name is [PO guy] and I am a supervisor here."
Me: "Thank you sir, thank you very much."
I went back down and they were singing a whole new tune. I was friendly and cordial because I could tell someone was read the riot act. First package is away. Second is in the pipeline for first thing tomorrow.

Too bad it took four visits, multiple phone calls, several printouts, et al., to get the gears moving, but whatever it takes. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top