JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll preface this by saying the only reason why I am entertaining the idea of dealing with USPS is that shipping handguns via priority mail is going to be much more cost effective than UPS/FedEx's overnight air. Priority is two-three days and will cost between $6 to $15, while most UPS overnights I've sent ranged from $60-110.

So, the ATF fellow I've been working with confirmed I can mail handguns, but left it as something to the effect of "Yes, you can, but that's their agency, not mine, so talk to them about what paperwork they want". Fair enough.

I visited the post office yesterday, ask to talk to the postmaster so that I could confirm all they needed was the "Affidavit of Addressee", but also to offer copy of my license, the recipients license or both. She flat out says I can't, only long guns, and those have to have the firing pins removed. She's wrong on both points and ignorant of their own regulation. I politely restated what is clearly in the mailing regulations and she said she'd research it and get back to me. I find a note in my post office box with a single sentence telling me to contact the ATF. Annoyed, I asked to see her again, told her it was cleared with ATF, explained yet again that this is dealer to dealer and is right on the USPS site. She says she can't find it anywhere on their site and asked for the numeric entry. I called her as soon as I get to my office, gave her the entry in their manual, and am told she'll call back to confirm. Though that was this morning, naturally, I don't receive a phone call, because that would require basic competence. Tomorrow I will try to get this lined up.

Question: if I continue to make no progress with this office, what is the next chain of command in the postal system that I can talk to? Being able to ship at relatively low cost is important to this particular side project. And, frankly, after dealing with multiple local, state, and federal agencies on this project, my patience with bureaucratic blundering is about up.

Thanks all.

Call the national number for USPS and tell them what's going on. They usually have a division of people in a dept. that handles such problems. Give them the and post office numbers etc that's been hassling you.

Here's the number 1-800-275-8777

Per USPS rules:

[432.2 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

1. 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
  2. 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
  3. 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
  4. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
  5. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
432.21 Authorized Persons

432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

Call the national number for USPS and tell them what's going on. They usually have a division of people in a dept. that handles such problems. Give them the and post office numbers etc that's been hassling you.

Here's the number 1-800-275-8777

Thanks for the note. I haven't had much luck with their 800 in the past, but will try that as the next step.

Per USPS rules:

[432.2 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

1. 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
  2. 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
  3. 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
  4. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
  5. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
432.21 Authorized Persons

432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

And just below that:

432.23 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
I am now a licensed dealer (01FFL).

And from the ATF:

May a licensee mail handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?
Yes. Licensees may mail an unloaded handgun to another licensee in customary trade shipments. Handguns may also be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.

[18 U.S.C. 1715]​

Funny. I worked right next to Suppressed Armorment back in Nevada.

He shipped pretty much 100% of his silencers through the post.

How is this different?

It's not.

Dealer to dealer is 100% allowed.

Dealer to dealer is 100% allowed.

Exactly. And both agencies (BATFE and USPS) that have any oversight in this field say so right on their site. I'm going to make a third visit tomorrow, with all the regulations printed out, but after that I need to go up the chain from this local office. I wish I could say this is something I could just avoid, but this PO is, literally, within a 3-5 minute walk from my office and I'm not going to travel all over the county due to their inability to know their own regulations.

Ya, I get it. Folks that don't like guns work for these companies.

However it's in their own terms of use.

I've worked for a big box shop as a receiving manager, for a manufacturer, as well as personally shipped my own guns. I've processed a lot of guns, all three major companies ship both pistols and long guns.

This sounds like a anti working at the local post being stupid.

You might take a screenshot of the website or if you have a laptop and can take it in and show her!

You also might consider contacting another Post Office in your area. I'd also consider filling out a formal complaint. I'd say it's a case of a Very Petty person in the Postmaster position.

Your next visit, start with:

1. Who's your boss, may I speak to your supervisor?

2. Is this department of USPS assigned a government lawyer? I would like to have that contact information please.

Thanks for the note. I haven't had much luck with their 800 in the past, but will try that as the next step.

And just below that:

432.23 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.
I am now a licensed dealer (01FFL).

And from the ATF:

May a licensee mail handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?
Yes. Licensees may mail an unloaded handgun to another licensee in customary trade shipments. Handguns may also be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.

[18 U.S.C. 1715]​

Just like flying on commercial airlines with guns most times the clerks are ignorant & do not care to know the real rules. For this purpose I always make a paper copy of "THE RULES" and have them in hand when I belly up to the counter.;)

This sounds like a anti working at the local post being stupid.

It is a small town PO. I know for a fact there are, or were, other FFLs in the area. The one I dealt with moved away, so I am offering transfer services in his place. So, I find it bizarre that this hasn't come up before. If anti or not, I can't say, but she doesn't know the regs.

You might take a screenshot of the website or if you have a laptop and can take it in and show her!

You also might consider contacting another Post Office in your area. I'd also consider filling out a formal complaint. I'd say it's a case of a Very Petty person in the Postmaster position.

I actually have printouts off the USPS site, the update to their firearms regulations that took effect in 2011, and the ATF's site. I'm bringing them down tomorrow. After that, I am going to file a compliant, because this is just stupid.

There are other POs in the general area, but each is going to be a 20-45 minute drive, round trip, instead of a couple minutes walk down the street. I'm not burning daylight or gasoline due to the local office.

Your next visit, start with:

1. Who's your boss, may I speak to your supervisor?

2. Is this department of USPS assigned a government lawyer? I would like to have that contact information please.

Good idea. As far as I know, she's at the top of the totem pole at this office, but there has to be someone (or some department) higher up that can apply the required corrective measure. So far, I've been keeping it friendly as that is my personality and I like to be on good terms with people I do business with, but my patience is starting to falter with the antics I've dealt with over the last few months.

@CountryGent sorry brother I missed that part.

No worries. Thanks. :)

When I was still in the business, I was lucky enough to have two POs that were just about the same distance from me. One was a real Pain while the other was just great. Unfortunately, the Pain PO was the one where our carrier worked out of. After having to make a special trip(actually twice) to that PO because the Postmistress started screwing with my mail; I decided enough was enough and contacted a local Postal Inspector. Not only did it turn out she was up the crick without the paddle, she didn't even have a boat any longer.

The Postal Inspector route might be able to help you too. Anyway, Good Luck.

As far as I know, she's at the top of the totem pole at this office, but there has to be someone (or some department) higher up that can apply the required corrective measure.

The USPS organization is divided into Areas and Districts. Your local PO most likely reports to the Portland District of the Western Area. Contact info for the Portland District is:
Kim Anderson
District Manager
Portland District
P.O. Box 3609
Portland, OR 97208-3609
(503) 294-2500
(503) 276-2020 (FAX)

Hope this is helpful.

I was baffled this yr when a pistol of mine shipped USPS...I thought only long guns musta changed.
FIND A FFL YOU KNOW AND ASK FOR SECRET CODE WORDS...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ...LOCAL OFFICES FULL OF OPINIONS....CODEWORDS MAKES EM GRUNT AND STAMP. o_O

The USPS organization is divided into Areas and Districts. Your local PO most likely reports to the Portland District of the Western Area. Contact info for the Portland District is:
Kim Anderson
District Manager
Portland District
P.O. Box 3609
Portland, OR 97208-3609
(503) 294-2500
(503) 276-2020 (FAX)

Hope this is helpful

Kim retired almost 10 years ago. I went to school with him. Also Portland PO moved to a new facility so phone numbers and maybe addresses not correct.
PM sent to @CountryGent

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR